V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Top Radiator Hose sucked flat...? PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Top Radiator Hose sucked flat...? PLEASE HELP!

Hey all,
I noticed today that my upper rad. hose on my car was sucked flat before work.

I went ahead and drove here since its less than a mile when I got to work I opened the hood and the hose wasnt as flat but still wasnt the correct form of what it shoulc be. It was totaly sucked flat before the trip to work tho.

I have good amount of coolant and all in the car and I dont think the Thermo is going bad? She has never ran over 220 even today when I noticed the hose was flat she didnt even get hotter than that.

I was told by a friend it might be the Thermostat or even the water pump or a blockage someplace? I havent lost any coolant in the drive or garage,However my car is giving the sweet Antifreeze smell now days and starting to film the window(heater core done this on my fiero's when they was on the way out)

Would the heater core going bad make the hose suck flat? I also had a 90 300zx that had this issue also for them it was a high speed issue and they made a hose wth a spring in it so the lower hose wouldnt suck flat when driving over say 75 for any type of distance.

The Hose isnt very old (still has stickers on it) By chance they didnt have springs in them from factory did they? Any help is wonderful, I dont want her to blow right after i just got her!

Thanks
Donnie H.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:04 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '99 Trans Am, '86 Camaro
Engine: LS1, Scrap
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Stock ZT, 3.42 Open
They may have had springs from the factory, but I haven't seen a spring-loaded upper rad host in a long time.. installed or behind the counter.

As for what could cause the hose to suck flat, you got me.. if the water pump is causing enough pressure drop at its inlet to do that, I'd think it's doing a pretty good job.. could be a side effect of coolant being displaced out of the heater core? That would be a pretty horrible heater core leak to do that..
Old 02-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
The hose going flat is from a bad rad cap. See the system created a vacuum [ cant be leaking] and the cap should of opened up and let the system either suck coolant or air from your over flow. Since the cap is not doing that, the vacuum gets greater n greater sucking the hose flat.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:02 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
gumbys thought sounds good. The system is designed to let fluid in and out thru the cap and overflow jug.

So I say cap, and check the hose and jug for overflow.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:59 PM

Guy’s here is what I have found out now. I watched the car after I got home today from work (Noon)

Anyway with the car at around 200 the hose's are fine, then once it kicks up just pass 220(thermo opens here maybe?) It sucks the hose flat (oh yeah and it does both of the hose not just the top like I had noticed before!)

I also have noticed I have a little Anti Freeze dripping down on the timing mark's and its got green traces up near the water pump (thinking that might be the smell I am getting now and not the Heater core)

So I should just replace the cap to start and see if it still smells and sucks the hose's flat then or just replace the cap and look to see if maybe I have a bad gasket or water pump?

Thanks for all the great advice and help guys!

Donnie H.
:hail:
Old 02-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '99 Trans Am, '86 Camaro
Engine: LS1, Scrap
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Stock ZT, 3.42 Open
Water near the timing mark is *probably* coming from the weep hole on the water pump. Sign of shot water pump. Since you just purchased her and cannot be certain of when components were last replaced, I'd personally suggest replacement of most of the cooling system so you're sure it won't crap out when 100+ degree days kick in.

By "most" of the cooling system, I mean water pump ($30), themostat ($5), upper/lower radiator hoses ($25), radiator cap ($8?) and, if the heater core really is going, replace it too ($20), plus possibly heater hoses ($10-20)

If you do go this route, a few searches should turn up many experiences (including my own) with water pump replacement, and some of the things you need to be aware of on the 60 degree V6 concerning the relationship between the timing cover and the pump.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:12 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
Also check your freeze plug on pass side of the engine.

My timing cover also got beat so bad by the timing chain that it broke the seal between it and the block, leaking their too.

Could be simple as water pump.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the fast reply!

I am going to take her back to the auto place I got her from since she is still under the extended coverage if its the water pump(no use in spending money if they fix it for 25.00)

I am going to replace the Thermo and rad cap anyways(the hose's are new on the car) I noticed a weird set of hose's above the water pump that goes into the motor it looks like the leak might be coming from that area.

I am going to check it out a bit more once she cools off from the trip home and see just where she is leaking from(isnt bad as I havenmt had to add any fluids since sat the 7th and I have put around 250 miles on her so far.)

Thanks again you guys are Awesome on this board!

Donnie H.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:50 PM

And now the rest of the story! (sorry bad hummor there)

Ok I cleaned where the Anti Freeze was up so it has no traces of it being there.

I opened the Rad Cap, had to pry it off somewhat as it was suctioned on(hoses was sucked flat of course) And of course when the cap came off the hose's reumed there normal everyday shape(not sucked flat design!) My radiator was somewhat low on fluid so I added to her to get her back tpo the right amount.

I then took her out for a test run. She ran great as always upon getting back to the house I had not a drop of Anti freeze where I had found it before and the car was approching the 220 mark on the temp(once it hit the 220 and the fan kicked in and I guess thats where the Thermo opens at BOOM the hose's was sucked flat again!

But I am somewhat happy that the Anti Freeze hasnt showed back up again YET!

I am not going to assume that it was just some anti Freeze that just happened to be there(we all know a lot better than that!)

I am going to run to the store and pick up a new Rad cap and try that route and see what goes down then.

I am not driving her since she is acting this way as I am too worried she isnt getting all the Coolant and water she really needs to be ok(just so everyone knows)

Thanks Guys

Donnie H.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91Z
Engine: 355/afr/sr/lpe219
Transmission: built 700R
Rad cap.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:25 PM

New cap and she is running totaly good as new with no loss of fluids still(keeping fingers crossed)

Thanks a Million

Donnie H.:hail:
Old 02-12-2004, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91Z
Engine: 355/afr/sr/lpe219
Transmission: built 700R
Gotta love a quick fix. They don't come that easy most of the time.lol
Old 02-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Camaro SC, '16 QX60
Engine: 2.8 V6 POWER, 3.5L V6 N/A
Transmission: T-5, CVT
I noticed that you referred to your car as "she". Not many people here do, that I've noticed. I like to think of my car as "she".
Old 02-12-2004, 03:42 PM

Wll yeah the hose sucked flat part is fixed (BUT) my car has anti Freeze in the pass floor(heater Core) and I have something leaking under the hood( its not the water pump either(its above it somewhat behind the water pump) in the area of the two hose's that goes into the motor(ugh)

Guess I will be taking her to the shop and getting the once over as to see what else could possible be wrong before the limited service contract ends.

I always nick name my cars the bird is named Betty.

Donnie H.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 82 Z-28
Engine: Built 406ci
Transmission: 700R4 w/3000 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Torsen Posi, Moser Axles
Definately the rad cap, I just had the same problem on my truck and all it took was to replace the rad cap. Mine would suck top and bottom hoses flat..