V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

3rd break light rewiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 3.4 Liter
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock
3rd break light rewiring

Well I failed my inspection and I need to get the 3rd brakelight working. The wires for the rear defrost leading up to the light are broken and I want to bypass all of that so how do I go about doing this? Just checking in to see if anyone has ever done a rewiring of their 3rd brakelight.

Thanks in advance!

Derick
Old 11-25-2008, 12:46 AM

Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5
Re: 3rd break light rewiring

surley the third light is an extra light as long as the main ones are working id be fine ? man your tests are much tougher than ours over here (uk) i dont even have to run any of my smog including cat and still pass emisions :-)

fixing the light should be simple just putting in new section of wire ?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^Beat me to it

Is yours in the spoiler or up on top? If it's in the spoiler I think you're SOL. But since you mentioned the defroster I'll assume it's up top. You could run the wires from the tail light harness up to the light. Hiding the wire in/under the weatherstrping. I think you could get it to look half-way decent this way. The only wires you'd be able to see would be the ones going to the light...and it'd only be a couple of inches.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by toomany
^^^^Beat me to it

Is yours in the spoiler or up on top? If it's in the spoiler I think you're SOL. But since you mentioned the defroster I'll assume it's up top. You could run the wires from the tail light harness up to the light. Hiding the wire in/under the weatherstrping. I think you could get it to look half-way decent this way. The only wires you'd be able to see would be the ones going to the light...and it'd only be a couple of inches.

I have the one at the top of the rear window. According to so threads the defrost does have something to do with the light working. Now does the defrost act as the ground fopr the light or what? There are 2 wires running to the light uder thge cover so are those positive leads and the grounds are underneath? This is what I need to figure out before I rewire it.

Derick
Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by Derickab
I have the one at the top of the rear window. According to so threads the defrost does have something to do with the light working. Now does the defrost act as the ground fopr the light or what? There are 2 wires running to the light uder thge cover so are those positive leads and the grounds are underneath? This is what I need to figure out before I rewire it.

Derick
Those 2 wires will 1 positive, 1 ground.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:54 PM

Ok! Here you go my 3rd Gen family. There is a connector in the truck by the latch with a yellow and black wire running to it. When the truck is closed where that connect plugs in is the connection for the defroster but that yellow and black wire are the brake switch wires from the front to the rear.

Since my defrost doesn't work (some connections are broke) what I did was splice into the yellow and black wire and ran a wire directly to the light. What do you know I now have a 3rd brake light and will be going to get my inspection sticker in the morning (also had to get my exahust fixed but thats done too a lil f.y.i.).

If you look at the bulb assembly the 2 connectors the high plug is positive and the low plug is negative.

Included is a picture of the 2 wires I'm speaking of. Hope this helps out anyone that runs into the same issue as I did.

Derick
Attached Thumbnails 3rd break light rewiring-3rd-brake-light-wires.jpg