V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Edelbrock Intake and Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L V6
Edelbrock Intake and Camshaft

Okay,

I want to bolt on some performance. I have the old 2.8v6 carb'd. I love this motor it has been so dependable and fuel efficient for me. I get kinda confused on the base/top Edelbrock intake parts...Do I need the base and top? And do I need a 4bbl carburetor or can I stick with the varajet? I also want to know which cam is the best for the buck and what other parts will I need to install it properly? The only upgrades I've done performance wise is a cat-back Dynomax exhaust system. I want headers too, but sheesh their expensive! I also have plans on a 3.42 gear set....Please any suggestions, or advice....please.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Car: 91' Firebird
Engine: 3.1 LH0 V6
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip
Re: Edelbrock Intake and Camshaft

If mine was carbe'd I'd be doing the same thing. Not too many people with the Edelbrock intake around here, probablt because most of us are MPFI and reluctant to make our cars carb'd.
If you do get the intake I'd sugest getting some good head porting done. they are a huge restriction for airflow stock.
sry I don't have more info for ya, just showing my support for your ideas.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1...not hardly stock
Transmission: 700r4....not stock either
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I have one of these intakes that I had contemplated putting on my car. Like K-slice said, I am reluctant to go carb'd. Anyway, I'm not very familiar with the stock carb'd manifold but I would tend to think you would need the base and the top/adaptor. I don't imagine your stock carb will bolt to it but again, I can't say that as a fact. As far as cam choice, depends on your goals for the car, how well you can adapt to drivability and those types of things. The melling mtc5 seemed to be a popular mild upgrade a while back however with a carb I would think you could handle a little more duration without issues (no computer to worry about). You would also need to replace your lifters, probably pushrods, and might as well do a timing chain while you've got it off. If you want, you could upgrade to 1.6 rocker arms as they will give you more lift. However, you will have to change your valve covers as they won't clear stock covers. Head porting would be great but could get expensive unless you want to/know how to tackle that yourself.
Also, I would suggest a 390cfm 4bbl carb.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 maro
Engine: In the works...
Transmission: TH700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

The manifold can be bought with a 4bbl or 2bbl top. The q-jet will bolt to the 2bbl top, but if you're investing in the manifold why restrict yourself to 2bbl? What I've thought about doing is grabbing a 454 tbi/adapter (which bolts to 4bbl) and the edelbrock manifold and building a high compression 3.1 with 2.8 pistons and a crane 250801 cam. With ported heads it should really scream. Sure you don't want some better gears? Someone on this board's offering 3.9's at a pretty good price right now, check it out.

Last edited by bl85c; 10-13-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AM91Camaro_RS
I have one of these intakes that I had contemplated putting on my car. Like K-slice said, I am reluctant to go carb'd. Anyway, I'm not very familiar with the stock carb'd manifold but I would tend to think you would need the base and the top/adaptor. I don't imagine your stock carb will bolt to it but again, I can't say that as a fact. As far as cam choice, depends on your goals for the car, how well you can adapt to drivability and those types of things. The melling mtc5 seemed to be a popular mild upgrade a while back however with a carb I would think you could handle a little more duration without issues (no computer to worry about). You would also need to replace your lifters, probably pushrods, and might as well do a timing chain while you've got it off. If you want, you could upgrade to 1.6 rocker arms as they will give you more lift. However, you will have to change your valve covers as they won't clear stock covers. Head porting would be great but could get expensive unless you want to/know how to tackle that yourself.
Also, I would suggest a 390cfm 4bbl carb.
I had 1.7 rockers on my car with the stock valve covers and had no clearance issues.

I have a mean carb'd cam if you are interested SosoFresh_SS
Old 10-18-2009, 10:47 AM

Car: 1984 Firebird
Engine: 2.8L V6

[QUOTE=firstfirebird;4317699]I had 1.7 rockers on my car with the stock valve covers and had no clearance issues.

I have a mean carb'd cam if you are interested SosoFresh_SS[/QUOTE

Yes I'm interested in the cam...How mean? I need it to be streetable. lol So, what are the best rockers( or the most proven) 1.6 or 1.7? And Is it a must to port the engine? I think, at least for me that's further than I want to go. Do I had to replace my lifters too. I had to replace the oil pan early this summer and had the engine/timing chain fully inspected and its pretty mint. Share some more ideas guys!

Thanks
Old 10-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 maro
Engine: In the works...
Transmission: TH700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

Well you don't have to, but it can only help. At the minimum gasket match it. If you want to stay carb'd you need a carb matched to the power level you're going to make. Too big and it won't get a good enough vac signal. Throttle response will suck and it'll dump fuel. Too small and it won't breathe where you need it. Same goes for the cam. You have a ccc ecm which means you can play with the fuel pressure a tiny bit and change the spark map. Keep it. Even rudimentary fuel control and a decent spark table is eons ahead of points and straight carb. You'll thank yourself when it doesn't run like garbage in winter. I'm not certain on the availability of tuning software for your ecm, but you could certaily convert to a '8079 ecm (quadrajet 305).
Old 07-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Car: 85 camaro RS RIP\ 86 IROC-Z :)
Engine: 2.8 MPI V6\ carbed LO5 5.7 v8
Transmission: 700r4 auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42\ posi 3.73

Originally Posted by firstfirebird
I had 1.7 rockers on my car with the stock valve covers and had no clearance issues.

I have a mean carb'd cam if you are interested SosoFresh_SS
You can use those big of rockers? How did it feel, sound and run?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

Originally Posted by my85sportscoupe
You can use those big of rockers? How did it feel, sound and run?
the 1.7 rockers throw the geometry way of. they do work but it may wear stuff out fast

if u are going to invest in the edelbrock inatke and a cam, the next biggest thing u can do would snag a set of heads of a fuel injected 2.8/3.1/3.4