V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

yall aint gonna believe this

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yall aint gonna believe this

ok so my buds car been actin up ok fer along time his starter went out the other day ago so i told him id help em fix it we go get a starter,btw it apparently died and he flooded it{89 bird same as mine waz but he has ta gfx stock,anywayz he said he killed let da clutch out to soon and it died he started it backl up and revved it as soon as it fired up,he said it started up fine went to take off again and it died ,thats when the starter whet out,we tried pushin it wit my car to jump start it but it wouldnt start.so we push it back in da parkin lot.we went and got a new starter ad while we were there he got new plugs and wirez .we get back to the car put the starter on and try to start it still wont start.turns over fine but wont start.so we pulled the plugs and each one of em is soaked in gas.we put the new plugs in along with the new wires{this where it gets weird} i jump in hit da key it starts but almost every light on da dash is blinkin and it runs erattiacally.im thikin wtf,it died ooon its own .so i start it right back up no problems nnow runs beatifully.so we start puttin tools up while its runnin get done puttin dat **** up,jump in da cr go to leave he puts it in reverse and it dies,starts it up again reverse again it dies.hmmz i start it up flip da headlights on it dies the whole electrical system goes dead.if you touch the brake while its runnin it shuts the whole car down,now if you pull the brake light fuse out and hit the brke while its runnin it will stayt running.what teh hell is going on with his car?basically anything electrical turned on EXCEPT TEH RADIO will shut the whole car down,do you have any idea wut may be causing this?? this really is seriuos
Old 12-29-2000, 10:40 AM
Banned

Sent you some mail.

------------------
1992 Camaro RS 3.1L
T5 Manual 5 speed
Cold/RAM air intake
Z-28 Exhaust
8.5mm MSD Ignition wires
TB Coolant bypass

Soon to be a 3.8L turbo RS

AIM screen name - Stopsign696

Kills:

95 (****) Probe GT
94 Mustang GT
91 CRX (dont ask me why he raced me)
2nd Gen Z28 (350) haha to you V8 guys!
1992 RS 305 TBI (good race)
First Gen Integra
More to come
Old 12-29-2000, 10:50 AM

my mail aint workin too good right now monkie ,wuts up ,everything i open it deletes fer some damn reason i got about half of one that you sent me but all i got waz you didnt know how to get it to yer house or sumtin like that? lemme know but put it on da board because my mai,l aint workin any ideas on wuts up wit my buds car?you guyz wouldnt belive how wierd this is anywayz monkie lemme know dood
Old 12-29-2000, 11:23 AM
Banned

Yea I still want the car but I cant get 1,000 till about Feb or March. I hope you can hold it for me cause I really need the parts. Oh yea and about getting it to my house....Got any ideas???

------------------
1992 Camaro RS 3.1L
T5 Manual 5 speed
Cold/RAM air intake
Z-28 Exhaust
8.5mm MSD Ignition wires
TB Coolant bypass

Kills:

95 (****) Probe GT
94 Mustang GT
First Gen Integra
More to come
Old 12-29-2000, 11:34 AM

well i can get it closer too ya cause in march ill turn 18 and im movin back to indiana might be as late as august tho,but after that i out of ideas
you can have it shipped?
Old 12-29-2000, 02:29 PM
Banned

How much would it cost to have it shipped here? Anyone know? And mark man please keep it on hold for me! Thanks

------------------
1992 Camaro RS 3.1L
T5 Manual 5 speed
Cold/RAM air intake
Z-28 Exhaust
8.5mm MSD Ignition wires
TB Coolant bypass

Kills:

95 (****) Probe GT
94 Mustang GT
First Gen Integra
More to come
Old 12-29-2000, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '99 Trans Am, '86 Camaro
Engine: LS1, Scrap
Transmission: T56, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Stock ZT, 3.42 Open
That's one seriously F'd up short your friend has there.. you said *anything* electrical? I can do a schematic diagnostic but I need to know if it really is everything but the radio.. fog lights, cruise control, turn sigs, parking lights, reverse lights, hatch pull-down, interior lights, climate control blower, engine cooling fan.. *everything*..

------------------
'86 Camaro SC, black /w silver racing stripes
MSD coil, Accel 8mm wires, SplitFire plugs, Gabriel hijackers
Old 12-31-2000, 03:21 PM

and yes anything but the radio kills the entire electrical system the gauges work tho thats it
Old 12-31-2000, 10:32 PM

Look at the fuse box to see what shape it is in. Look in your manual to see if all those electrical problems come from the same source. The radio must be on a different fuse. I had a similar problem where the left front speaker was going bad and shorting out all the interior lights and rear tail lights. I unplugged the speaker and the fuse problem went away. Replaced the speakers still no problems.

Pete
Old 01-01-2001, 08:25 AM

Car: Firebird
Engine: 3.1 L
Transmission: auto
Hi Mark,
check the relays, a dead relay could suck the electrical power off and your engine dies.

------------------
www.marion-becker-nidda.de
91 Firebird 3.1
Modsynomax ultra flow stainless steel
Old 01-01-2001, 01:30 PM

sounds like alternator to me. I think its so shot that it can not supply a charge for the system and the car will not run. This is only a guess though, it happened to my friends winter ride just recently and had the same symptoms.

------------------
1989 pontiac firebird
bright red exterior(just repainted)
grey interior
5 spd
305 TBI (stock)
WS.6 formula wheels
3.73 posi rear end
-------------------------
system: 2 10" MTX thunder 2000 in a Professionally done custom bandpass box.
Blaupunkt CD player
Blaupunkt 4x6 and 6x9
600 watt rockford fosgate 4.6 amp

http://members.aol.com/j007golden/Mikey89.html
Old 01-01-2001, 05:35 PM

sounds like alternator to me.
I agree,it sounds like the car is running off of the battery.When you ask for more power(like brake lights and such),via the battery,the battery can't supply enough power to power the car and other electrical items.The battery may have enough juice to power the car at idle,but that would be about it.Mostly after loosing all the juice it needed to start the engine.
I say have the alternator checked along with the battery.Who knows.....it could just be a bad battery cable.

------------------

http://www.camaroforum.com/ http://nethirdgen.org/ http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/tristatecamaro

[This message has been edited by Kevin S (edited January 01, 2001).]
Old 01-02-2001, 02:14 AM

chit i dunno wuts wrong wit it he brought it over here today,worked on it all damn day,get this we got it to run and everything electrical to work,shut it down put everything back together he went to go home and its doing it again,only this time it wont run for more than 10 seconds,if you give it gas it will run but it sputters{kinda like your shuttin the igintion off and then back on to keep it running}and he had the nerve to ask me if he could borrow my car.lmao btw im gettin my car dynoed tommoroww,what would relays have to do with anything?and remember it dosent shut the engine off ,it kills the entire electrical system,and nothing works untill you bump the starter then stuff will come back on but only the ignition,lights @chit still wont work.thanx you guys for your help,my bud called a garage to c wut they would charge its 49$an hour plus parts aint that some bull****
Old 01-05-2001, 08:25 PM

Car: 87 GTA
Engine: Eaton Supercharged 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Try some of the things others have recommended first. I have been building cars for years and everytime I find an erratic electrical problem I trace it to a bad ground somewhere. Make sure there is a good chassis ground, engine to chassis ground, and good ground on the battery. Bad battery cells will also prevent a proper electrical circuit even if the vehical is being jumped.