Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > V6
Register Forgot Password?

V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #1

Classifieds Rating: (0)
How much does a "ring job" on a 2.8L cost, and other assorted carb engine questions?

If i win the lottery, i just may get one for my 2.8. It DOES have a vacuum leak from somewhere, i thought it was the water pump itself but upon listening closely i cannot conclude it is a "water pump bearing," its coming from my carb with two wires disconnected this is one of them http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_0101.jpg (with melted-off connectors, one is green the other brown.) Ive started using really thin 5W-20 motor oil and it hasnt leaked, other sites say it "lubricates and transfers heat better, just as long as it does not get fuel diluted" and my engine runs strong, i cleaned it up with piston soaks, it runs very well i dont want to kill it though. So, if i win the lottery and can get this new Holley VariaJet carb shown here http://paceperformance.com/i-6108141...-64-70125.html then also how much would a "ring job" a la "piston ring" job cost?

I dream of my car, want to keep it running optimal. I wonder if a new carb is needed, is it safe to say the old one may be shot?
84CAMARO28inFL is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #2

Car: 87 Camaro, 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305, 305
Transmission: 700R4

Send a message via Yahoo to Awesome-X
Re: How much does a "ring job" on a 2.8L cost, and other assorted carb engine questio

Wait, what? What makes you think your carb or motor need to be rebuilt exactly? You didn't include that many details..
Awesome-X is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

Re: How much does a "ring job" on a 2.8L cost, and other assorted carb engine questio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome-X View Post
Wait, what? What makes you think your carb or motor need to be rebuilt exactly? You didn't include that many details..
1) Its OLD!!!
2) SOmetimes, when the car was running, i would touch the rear flap on the rear throat, and it would be soo sensitive, sometimes it would sound like the exhaust was all the way backed up, hard to describe but i remember the car stallign and hearing backfires with the exhaust making a pronounced noise.. redoing the idle screw and touching the flap while it was running and it eventually sorted itself out.
3) I have at least one disconnected wire, its the pic i showed you
4) I hear a noise that i believe is vacuum leak
5) Car runs good but if its running rich that would explain my bad gas mileage.

This is from memory.
84CAMARO28inFL is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Supreme Member

Do a compression check on all 6 cylinders.
Those carbs. are electronic feed back carbs. They are very intolerant of bad parts, missing pieces, & vacuum leaks. If you can get rid of the emissions crap on the engine, I'd go w/ the edelbrock package. This is their 2 piece intake, cam, & holley 390 carb. But I'd only do it on a healthy engine.
ex-x-fire is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > V6

Tags
2000, camaro, car, coast, cost, cylinder, engine, how20much20is20a20piston20ring20job, job, motor, msg, piston, ring, rings, sable