V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 2.8 V6 For Now

Hello Third Gen family I'm new to the site. I have spent the last month reading and gaining knowledge about 3rd gens. I recently got my Grandad 88 Camaro that's has been park for the last 20 years with 15 thousand original miles. It's a 2.8 want to do a v8 swap some day. I plan on make her street worthy again
Old 10-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi
Re: New Member

Welcome and post pics of progress when you do get started!
Old 10-13-2015, 12:17 PM

Thanks jharrison5, so far I have replaced the brake hoses and washed the years of dirt of the car. Also found a set of used tires for now to get the car off the ground.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:34 PM

Engine: 305 TBI/305 TPI
Transmission: World Class T5/missing
Axle/Gears: 3.08/G92 3.45 posi

I picked up my 88 back in February and it has been quite a journey so far. I have replaced more than half the stuff under the hood and 3/4 of the interior, as well as painted it recently. Lots of good advice on this forum and i'm sure you will find it to be quite useful. I would (if you aren't already) get yourself very acquainted with the junkyards in your area, because that will save you a lot of time, and in my opinion, even build character. The thing I have learned the most with this project so far, is if there is even a minute chance you may need a part, and can afford it, take it. I don't know how many times I have gone to a junkyard needing something then noticing the car I am pulling stuff from has something I may need, but I just say nah, I will always come back if I need to. So, lately I have been just getting everything I think may be of use. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:48 PM

Thank, I grew up in the junk yard with my dad getting partsfor cars. I never ever have brought a fuse for any of my car; I load up at thejunk yard with a zip lock bag and pay like a dollar lol. The said part about itis where I stay there is only one junk yard with a poor inventory. But I stillcheck in from time to time to see what I can find. Good luck with your project too!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:53 PM

Jeez, you pull fuses? I won't even do that.haha. I have gone through so many on the stupid rear hatch motor alone that I have had to buy so many. Do you buy used spark plugs too? I don't think I could ever be that thrifty.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:01 PM

I buy my spark plugs, but I thought about it one day why would I spend a few bucks for a 10 when I can have a full bag for a dollar. Trust me they come in handy, especially back in my my car audio days blowing fuses every other day.

Why do your rear hatch motor go out?
Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM

Yeah my radio was blowing fuses too, but that was because the PO did a terrible job at best of wiring things behind the console and there was split wires exposed everywhere.

My rear hatch motor was blowing fuses because it too was a botched wiring job from the PO. I have probably an entire days worth of hours into it so far. Bare wires that were exposed, plus one of the wires was wired wrong and crossed, so we had to figure that out too.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:26 PM

My car electrical needs to help, between dry rot andthe mice chewing up my wires its shoot to hell. Do you recommend I strip the electricalsystem down and start over or fix as I go? My driver side headlight was holding onto 4 strands of wire, I'm suprise the light still came on.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:33 PM

Depends. I am not very good with electrical work, so i personally would either try to pull good harnesses from a junkyard or on craigslist or online here from somebody. Austin third gen has some pretty good wiring diagrams that we used to convert my camaro from non ac to having ac.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:37 PM

I going to look into that thanks!
Old 10-31-2015, 04:08 PM

**UPDATE**

I almost had an LT1 and trans for a real good price but it was sold before I could get to it. But on a good note I got a lot of third gen parts for my car for 150 and among those parts was an tail lights, bumper, ground effects and T tops with bag and....wait for it.....almost perfect dash cover. I told him I really just needed the dash but it was a package deal.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:21 PM

That South Carolina heat is something else!

Out with the old

In with the new

Old 10-31-2015, 05:24 PM

That's a pretty good deal on all that. That dashpad alone is worth that much.

Was the motor and trans you missed out on the guy on here who was selling an LT1 and transmission for $280? I strongly considered buying them and having them shipped at that price.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:07 PM

YUP sure was!!! I was texting him then his next text said it was sold. I was so hurt, but I will keep looking.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

Originally Posted by Destro Camaro
YUP sure was!!! I was texting him then his next text said it was sold. I was so hurt, but I will keep looking.
turbo it u will have my more fun for the money spent versus a swap
Old 11-02-2015, 09:58 AM

I would'nt know where to start when it comes down to an turbo, even thought I have read alot of forums about turbos on here. Do you have any advice?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

Originally Posted by Destro Camaro
I would'nt know where to start when it comes down to an turbo, even thought I have read alot of forums about turbos on here. Do you have any advice?

theres quite a few threads around that will walk u threw it step by step , some of them are pinned at the very top of the forum browse threw those then ask any questions u may be left with

u can build an under kmember style turbo kit for a couple hundred bucks
Old 11-07-2015, 05:46 PM

Still in the repair stage which sucks sometimes. The whole fix one thing and something else breaks lol. Well I got a new power steering bracket thanks to Project Camaro. While putting the belt back on the tensioner bolt striped. So I decided to replace it along with some other parts. Made some progress but still have a long way to go.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:56 PM

Just a few parts. Much needed vacuum hoses.

Cant decide which tail lights I like best. Might keep it original and sell the grid ones.

Power washed it down. Still have a long way to go.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:58 PM

If you're going to get rid of the grid lights let me know, I need a new set. One of mine has like melted bird craps and is hazy.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:10 PM

Ok cool, I going to see if they grow on me if not I will let you know.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:52 AM

Things had been kind of slow motion on the build because wifeis having a baby and I can only work on it when the weather is good, eventhough this year Tennessee has been having some good weather the last few weeks.Plus the car has really been frustrating me, the more I work on it I realize ithas been cut on and rig in every way. I called my Grandad he told me that thePO had hacked the car up but since my grandad planned to do a V8 swap he didn’tmind, but do to health issues and other projects he never got around to it,that is how the car sat for all those years.

I am leaning toward a whole new powertrain every time I workon it. I just feel that replacing old, broken, or missing parts is going to nickeland dime me to death on this v6.

Also I did score so clean door panels from a member on hereand installed them. Other than that I have been replacing small things like theo2 sensor and other sensors. I finally got my temp gauge working after thesensor was replaced; the fan comes on around 210 degrees. I tackled the nobattery charging issue and after I retraced the wires with my multi-meter Icame to the conclusion it was an inline fuse, know my alternator is working asit should be.

THE BAD…The car do not have heat!

I changed the thermostat or should I say installed a thermostatsince it wasn’t one in there… still no heat.

I checked the blend door in the car and its operating fine.

I already replace the heater control valve when I first gotthe car because it was broke.

I am going to check a few more things... Any moresuggestions are greatly appreciated.

THE GOOD AND KIND OF BAD…My daily driver laid down on me soI was forced to but the Camaro on the road waaaaay before I wanted to. For ahack job wiring system and a few new parts the car actually did well. 20 milesto my job and didn’t shut off once! Idles kind of rough at the light with aslight hesitation when driving. But she made it no heat and all!!
Old 12-16-2015, 08:56 AM

o2 sensor and pig tail the original one was hacked off.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:59 AM

New door panel

Old door panel
Old 12-16-2015, 09:32 AM

I hear you on the busy life situation. Ive been in court all week and before that finals in college. If I had a kid on top of this, I'd be running on negative time.haha

One thing that has helped me personally was my buddy having a 3rd gen as well that I can compare to. His is basically completely restored. Some things were changed but it's mostly not a hack job now. So if I have issues and am not sure what it's supposed to be like, I'd compare to his, and vice versa. If you are dedicated to keeping that car and swapping, if the powertrain you get if it's in a car, I'd take very detailed pictures and notes so you remember how it was wired and hooked up. Engine, transmission, computer, part of the wiring harness, you will need basically everything going from a V6 to a V8.

You could also post a picture detailing what you are pointing out and somebody on here will probably know what you are asking and be able to instruct you well.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:47 AM

I have to find time to squeeze in for the maro, Work, college, kids I am working on negative time. Thats why I got a light so I can work on it in the dark.

You lucky dog! You have a friend with a 3rd gen.All my friends think I’m crazy they are not into older cars like I am. I don’t planon getting rid of this one someday I will hand the keys over to my son…keep itin the family.

This actually is the 2nd car my grandad gave tome. The first on was a 1971 Road Runner with a 383 magnum. While in the Army some punk stole it out ofmy aunt’s garage. I was heartbroken even though it needed a full restorationjob it was mine. I still get heated thinking about it. That’s how I end up withthe Camaro my grandad felt bad for me.

But back to the Camaro I need to sit down make a plan ofattack and stop jumping around on the car. I think I going to start on thesuspension and steering. Basically get stuff like that done and stop worryingabout under the hood right now.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 rs coupe
Engine: 2.8 turbo build
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi

Any time with the parts man I have a bunch more lol Havent seen your build in a while life got in the way of me and my maro for a little :/ I came back to her after a bout a month with more problems then I was hoping see if yout two cant help me solve any (Okay guys i could really use some help! i have a 1989 rs 2.8 auto camaro i do not have the time right now to do a swap so id like to just drive the 2.8 around, but it seems to have different ideas. so the car will start up right away no problems what so ever. and switch into gear and start out fine but as the car starts to warm up and run a little longer 10-15mins it starts acting up alot, when under power te rpms will move around or the car will jerk a little and when id...iling at a read light the rpms can jump from 1500-0 and sonetimes the car dies normally starts right back up. 2. for some reason i let a buddy of mine do some work for me when i was on vacation(he has a shop) he changed fuel rail and dizzy cap, i now have no interior gauge lights or shifter lights when i tuen my lights on at night. 3. when i turn my lights on at night my tail lights light up but i have no brake lights nothing happens when i press the brakes in, they dont get brighter or anything. )
Old 12-23-2015, 08:39 AM

Hmmmmm. As for the car running funning I would retrace thesteps of your latest parts install. Ensure everything is correctly installedand functioning correctly. No to say your buddy didn’t do a good job but youcan by faulty parts just like I did when I was installing parts on my Camaro.

The electrical is a whole other beast! Anything from a blowfuse, shorted wire, or a ground wire that needs to be replaced could be theproblem. I would get out there with my meter and test you wires to see who isgetting power and so on. 9 or of 10 when it is multiple components acting up atthe same time the problem seems to be a ground wire.

I don’t claim to know much about these cars I’m tuningwrenches and learning at the same time myself, so I hope this helps I know how frustrating it can be when these things start acting up.

Last edited by Destro Camaro; 12-23-2015 at 08:42 AM.