V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Turbo 2.8 Street Bruiser and Cruiser...

Old 02-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Turbo 2.8 Street Bruiser and Cruiser...

Originally Posted by fasteddi
unless something drastically happens I can say one thing I am ready this year to meet up. I have wanted to do something like that for a long time. I am going to buy a trailer here in another month or two so I don't mind to travel a little bit.
NYCE1's sponsors the Ratchet Friday's here at e-town, you guys would love it here. Used to go awhile back to meet up with some friends from New York City, but I haven't been there to race in quite awhile. Also haven't been to Atco Dragway in a long time either...

Old 04-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

Didn't forget about this thread guys. Ed from BBS seems to be missing in action regarding the turbo header, so I will need to improvise. I did start on the interior though, the Gray was pulled for Black, just waiting on a local seller to hook me up with the Black rug for front and back. Still contemplating the 3500 swap though, as notching the k-member, adding the right crank trigger, and compensating for the detent cable seems easy enough. Turns out running the SFI-6 would work with a 3500 swap as well, would just need to add some wiring. We'll see though, as I still have my heart set on the 2.8. If I do the 2.8 though, I have an intake manifold idea that will blow everyone's mind...

More soon.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5

Watching............. I have so many intake ideas in my head !!
Old 04-05-2017, 05:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: BBC 509 Merlin ii 9.6:1 pump gas
Transmission: ATI pro th350 sfi case. TSI 5500 st
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 4:10s

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Didn't forget about this thread guys. Ed from BBS seems to be missing in action regarding the turbo header, so I will need to improvise. I did start on the interior though, the Gray was pulled for Black, just waiting on a local seller to hook me up with the Black rug for front and back. Still contemplating the 3500 swap though, as notching the k-member, adding the right crank trigger, and compensating for the detent cable seems easy enough. Turns out running the SFI-6 would work with a 3500 swap as well, would just need to add some wiring. We'll see though, as I still have my heart set on the 2.8. If I do the 2.8 though, I have an intake manifold idea that will blow everyone's mind...

More soon.

You know I'm watching. If you do decide the 3500 route. 11-10 second car easy. I'll be jelous!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by zs&tas
Watching............. I have so many intake ideas in my head !!
Trying really hard not to spill the beans because if I say what it is, I guarantee someone will jump on the idea and do it before I even get a chance to lol. Surprised nobody thought of it before to tell you the truth...

Originally Posted by fasteddi
You know I'm watching. If you do decide the 3500 route. 11-10 second car easy. I'll be jelous!
I really want to do the 3500. Was back and forth in NYC for the last two weeks driving my wife to training for her job (out of 15 employees that are going, fourteen live in NJ, one in NYC, so they compensated for the one by having it in NYC lol). Anyways, been taking the Firebird back and forth and getting spanked by the newer cars on the city streets. Those supercharged Audi's are sick, I had one BMW M8 throw a rev my way and it sounded like a Formula 1 car, revved to eight grand instantaneously. Won't have the Firebird disrespected like that anymore lol. Weather is finally getting better too, we'll be seeing 70 degrees plus next week, finally! Mark I had the water vapor mist busted on my heating unit (furnace) for the past two and a half years, the dry air is fawking my head up big time. My body isn't even irrigating on its' own anymore because of that. I keep forgetting to replace the damn thing, as keeping the window wide open with it being thirty degrees outside, and with the thermostat set to 70 degrees, just isn't cutting it. That furnace dry air can fawk you up big time. I had someone check for carbon monoxide a few months back, that is how bad I was getting, but no carbon monoxide. Now I'm thinking the vent tube on the roof is clogged, because to wake up the way I am can't be from just dry air. My damn ears are ringing from it every morning. Anyways...

Last edited by Street Lethal; 04-05-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

The 92 aero hatch is on, I just need to adjust it a little as it is about a quarter of an inch too much to the left. Easy fix. I don't want to put the spoiler on yet, at least until next week, because the NYC streets are brutal, and I don't want it to crack or chip from a pothole. The bumper I am waiting on, it's off of a '92 Formula. I have a little work to do to the other rear quarter that is not pictured, but after that I can bring the uni-body down to metal and get some primer on there for the much needed paint. Interior will be all black, I already have the black vinyl material to redo the speaker covers and roof, w/black leather seats out of a GTO, will come out flawless. Was hoping to make a Firehawk clone, but now I think just make it Black on Black and run the damn thing asap...

Name:  10603c9a-8646-4a09-a683-1a29939ae2a7_zpsdjzasdjp.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  296.1 KB
Old 04-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member

Figure I'd share everything I am doing so far. The rear hatch panel in the first pic was taken apart, cleaned thoroughly, dyed black, cleaned again, then hit with armor all. As were the little pieces under it. The second pic has whatever parts I had left over from past cars, just need to clean them up before installing them. Coming out great so far, just hope Eric has my rug in a few days so I can get it all done. Door panels and dash board will be easy, will buy the former, then take apart and dye the latter.

Name:  7773f835-c397-4c41-9d70-96c281612ea7_zpsrujdjdju.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  293.5 KB

Name:  8ddf946a-4db2-4845-960b-a742e67cf841_zpsw0uh8ueb.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  361.2 KB
Old 04-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Supreme Member

Looking forward to the progress. Yea i always hated being dusted by some 4cyl. or basically any cars when my car was stock. I mean even if we had a z28 it would still get smoked by today's standards. If your car cant run a mid 13 at best then its slow any more. So thats what ultimently made me modify mine so much at the beginning. I was tired of having a dirt slow car. Im in the 11s now wish is just amazing for a Old V6 camaro but really its slow too.. now the bar is a 10 second street car. It amazes me. Back when i was a kid, a 13 second street car was fast and a 12 second street car was rare.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

Lots of eleven second cars roamed the streets when I was still just a kid in the 90's, Nathans in Long Island, Fountain Avenue in Brooklyn, Hempstead Turnpike, Maurice Avenue, Crossbay Boulevard, my God, so many guys were racing in NYC back in the day. Ten second cars weren't common, but were definitely lurking. You just never knew who had what. I was introduced to the 454 BBC very early in life, then turbo's with the Nissan 300ZX. I had a '72 Monte Carlo w/454, and an '87 300ZX turbo. I have lots of video from back then too of that 454, was the only sixteen year old guido in town driving American Muscle, back then the guys that I hung with were driving 5.0 LSC's. Go ahead guys, look that up lol, as I'm sure you have no idea what those even are. Quite the learning experience back then, good time to grow up, especially music wise...

I'm telling ya Mark, I am so tempted to go LSX with this damn thing lol, but I'm not going to. Gonna wrap up the interior, then start some body work and paint. I should know sometime this month what engine is going in, whether I build another forged turbo 2.8, or turbo 3500, though I am leaning to the 3500. It just makes sense to do it. Anyways, got the hatch area done, interior is Black w/the replacement carpet. Just waiting on the front carpet then I can get the different black seats and seatbelts in. Already made a great difference, as that gray interior had to go. Still have to wrap the speaker covers and headliner with black vinyl material, but there is no rush with that...

Name:  06e8dd25-06da-4dc4-beeb-762c50b32105_zpsh9cgp0xm.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  216.2 KB
Old 01-09-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1985 Firebird
Engine: 3.4 turbo
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42

is there an update to this build?
Old 01-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Getting hit with so much snow I haven't been able to work on anything at this point. Still have the car, and was considering different ways to go with it, but I talked myself out of any engine swaps although I came close to buying an LS4 once I figured out the starter and detent cable situation. But alas, I talked myself out of that one as well, so the 2.8 is staying. No choice but to go twins though for what I want to do with it. Should have something for the thread once the weather starts getting warmer out, we got hit with over a foot of snow a few days ago and more is on the way...

- Rob
Old 01-09-2018, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Just toss some sort of cam in it, and a gt3582r. Thatll get your some fun and about 350 fun horsepower. I remember my first build cost under 1 k and got me to the high 12s. Thankfully i had tons of help from you project89 and sixshooter. I still remember all those arguments over $59 and $8F.....lol oh those were the good times!

BTW what ever happend to Dave? I miss him here on the boards. Seems like all of us that did some wild V6s slowly changed over to V8s and arent on the board very much anymore. I try to get on here waiting to see some more turbo people come arround so i can help them, if possible.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Dave is still around, I updated his build thread for him in the Power Adder section because people kept asking me if something happened to him. Dunno why he doesn't come on this website anymore, maybe he's pissed at someone, not sure. But, I needed to at least let members know that he is okay, because some seemed pretty concerned about his well being...

- Rob
Old 01-09-2018, 03:52 PM

thanks for the update. i'm itching to get on mine. once I finally find an ICM that tests good enough to put on the car we should get to work on it. fortunately we don't have to deal with much snow in Alabama.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:53 PM

if you're going all out with the twins, will you also be porting the heads?
Old 01-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, I will need to port the heads and do something about the intake manifold. I actually have a killer idea for the intake manifold, but it's costly and I'm not sure if it is really justifiable from an investment perspective because the car has no real value. Luckily the turbo GTA build is just about wrapped, just need to tie up a few loose ends with that project and that will free up room to work on this project. Actually came about as a dare, as I was seriously considering a 4G63 swap into this thing, but one of my Import buddy's was provoking me saying that I needed the Import engine to reach my goals, laughing at the 2.8 engine, which is all I honestly needed to hear lol. The engine needs to be pulled and gone into though, as I'm not running that much boost without inspecting the ring gap, as well as make a few more changes, and MLS head gaskets. Nothing expensive with the turbo's though, cheapy ebay turbo's will do. If I do in fact go with the intake manifold idea that I have, it's gonna blow your mind...

- Rob
Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 AM

Ah I love a car built out of spite! I think most v6 thirdgens are lol. Let me guess your idea. Dual throttle bodies? Turbo feeding each one?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member

Haha, that honestly sounds very interesting. This will be a custom intake manifold running an LSX throttle body. It's a pretty simply idea, but even the used parts I've come across are costly, which surprises me because nobody even wants them anymore. The detent cable to the factory throttle body is the only issue, but I'm considering running the line to the pedal...

- Rob
Old 01-10-2018, 12:39 PM

that would be cool. are you only going to replace the top manifold? pizza box style? I've wanted one of those truleo intakes but they're impossible to find, with only like one or two being built for an f body. I emailed the owner once and he said he'd sell me the plans and flanges. but i'm a very, very noob welder.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:40 PM

EDIT: NVM, I see your power goal is about 400 hp.

Last edited by Sierra6; 01-23-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Search this Thread