V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

1992 V6 Injector Pulse Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 V6 Injector Pulse Question

Hello,

I posted this in "electrical" before I noticed your dedicated v6 subforum...

Anyhow, I picked up a 92 Firebird that has the 3.1 V6. I will say, first off, that it has an elaborate "Clifford Arrow" alarm system on it, that nobody knows this history of... That being said, the car won't start. It will turn over, it has spark, and will start on ether. I have 43psi fuel pressure at the test port. I have a steady 12+ on each of the + legs at the injector harness. I have no ground on the ground pins at any time (cranking or not).

The check engine light illuminates solid when the key is turned, and the security light illuminates briefly and goes out (I understand that this is normal for both lights).

I have never owned one of these cars before. It was kind of an impulse buy, I just thought it looked cool and the price was right for a winter tinker-project.

I replaced the ignition module just to eliminate it as a possibility. After reading on this forum, I saw that many people had their problems fixed with it. No such luck for me, lol.

Anyhow, I am going to try to remove the alarm. But in the mean time, can anyone provide a diagram of the injector pulse, or anything that might help me find where the signal dies between the ICM > ECM > Injectors?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:46 PM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: 1992 V6 Injector Pulse Question

Even though the security light goes out have you pulled codes to see if your dealing with a vats issue ?
Old 02-06-2017, 01:59 PM

No, I didn't know I still needed to if the light behaved as normal. I will pull codes when I get a chance to work on it again.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

The CEL should come on for a second turn off for a second, then turn on solid until the engine starts.

If the CEL simply turns on and stays on when the key is turned on, this is indicating that there is a communications problem with the PROM in the ECM. Your car should have a '7730 ECM which means that it needs a MEMCAL installed to have an engine run. If the MEMCAL is missing you 'll see no pulse width, among other things. Open up the ECM and take a look. Sometimes simply removing and re-installing the MEMCAL to re-seat it will fix a communications problem.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
The CEL should come on for a second turn off for a second, then turn on solid until the engine starts.

If the CEL simply turns on and stays on when the key is turned on, this is indicating that there is a communications problem with the PROM in the ECM. Your car should have a '7730 ECM which means that it needs a MEMCAL installed to have an engine run. If the MEMCAL is missing you 'll see no pulse width, among other things. Open up the ECM and take a look. Sometimes simply removing and re-installing the MEMCAL to re-seat it will fix a communications problem.
Sorry for the delay in my posts, I've been down with the flu. I got out there for a second yesterday and jumped the pins to pull codes, and the check engine light just stays lit. It never blinks. I haven't felt well enough to do anything else yet, but when I do, is the MEMCAL chip labeled? I have the ECM out (but still connected) already, so it won't be too hard to disconnect it and pop it open.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:12 PM
Sponsor

Sounds like you could have a bad ecm or a blown fuse next to the battery causing your no start.the fuse next to the battery is for ecm stay alive memory and fuel pump switch power.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:26 PM

I think I checked that fuse already (I'll double-check next time I get out there). But since I hear the fuel pump prime, that's probably a sign the fuse isn't blown.

I should verify power to the ECM. I mentioned it has an elaborate aftermarket alarm system on it, so maybe it cut power to the ECM? Looking at the diagram on my other post, it would appear that I should have constant power on the orange wire to the ECM, correct?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Sponsor

Correct on the orange wire, with the ecm controlling fp prime it's odd it's not blinking codes. Here's a pinout of your ecm
http://tpiparts.net/1227730_pinout_diagram
Old 02-16-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by 92FubarBird
Sorry for the delay in my posts, I've been down with the flu. I got out there for a second yesterday and jumped the pins to pull codes, and the check engine light just stays lit. It never blinks. I haven't felt well enough to do anything else yet, but when I do, is the MEMCAL chip labeled? I have the ECM out (but still connected) already, so it won't be too hard to disconnect it and pop it open.
No need to unplug the ECM from the harness to check/re-seat the MEMCAL. Just remove the two screws from the small cover to access it. The MEMCAL looks like this:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-...om-calpak.html

Since the SES doesn't blink off at key-on, and you can't blink codes, I'd say that the ECM is bad. Re-seating the MEMCAL (if it is actually there) may get the ECM to run OK for a while. But likely it will fail again.

RBob.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 PM

Well, I using the diagram, I had good power on the orange wire. I had signal on the distributor wires. And I still had no output on the fuel injector wires. So I popped for a used ECM from thirgenranch. I got it today, put it in, and it runs!

Thanks for your help guys.