V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

HELP car doesn't want to start and completely (all electrics) dies mid drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP car doesn't want to start and completely (all electrics) dies mid drive

Okay so first off this is an ongoing issue. Originally the car died and I had it stored for a year.
I'll list a few symptoms...
so first off I replaced the started motor as it had died long before this issue popped up. And I had a new battery.
- car completely cut out and turned on again while going down the highway. As in engine and all electrics stopped and restarted in about a second.
- thought it was an alternator as the car was dead. But it wasn't. My buddy came over and we were checkino it out. It was completely dead. Then my buddy closed the hood and the interior light came on...
had it towed where it sat for a year. Realized it could be my after market stereo so I pulled it out and charged the battery. It started right up. Left it running for a few hours then turned it off. Next day started right up and I got it onto the driveway. (It was buried under snow)
during that process I must have started it up and turned it off a dozen times. No problems.
so I had it insured and what do you know... problems.
went to start it and it did and then immediately died. Started it up and drove to work.
had to jump it after work. Made it home fine. Next day it started up fine. Went to work fine started up after work fine. Then driving less the 5 minutes after starting it completely shut off. I should note that originally I believe the battery was being drained from a loose negative on the battery. Now it wants to start but can't.
My buddy thinks it the ignition.
I haven't checked the grounds. The ones I have seen look good. The battery is tight.
oh and when I put the key in with door open there is no dinging. Unless I push it in farther. Also it seems to have a "sweet spot" where all the dash lights stay on. Otherwise the lights flicker.
ugh this is so frustrating. I have takeno out most of the dash and and dropped the steering column. The wires above look good.
any suggestions???
Old 02-13-2017, 01:44 AM
On Probation

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro vert/86 SC
Engine: 355 tbi/2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: 2.72 posi/3.42 open
Re: HELP car doesn't want to start and completely (all electrics) dies mid drive

Hi there,
I would check the 2 battery cables, both at the battery and where they finally connect to. I think the positive connects to the starter, somebody correct me? Anyway, sounds like a loose connection, that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Should be easy to check, just follow the cables.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:57 AM

Re: HELP car doesn't want to start and completely (all electrics) dies mid drive

Originally Posted by ktthecarguy
Hi there,
I would check the 2 battery cables, both at the battery and where they finally connect to. I think the positive connects to the starter, somebody correct me? Anyway, sounds like a loose connection, that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Should be easy to check, just follow the cables.
I checked the grounds today. Looks like one of them had epoxy or something on it. The hole might be threaded but it's still tightened and snug. Car seems to be starting fine for now...
also I have bought a voltmeter and will try and test a few things. OH! And the guy who installed my stereo wired the car radio illumination wire to the car stereo dimmer wire... not sure if that would cause the battery drain I was previously experiencing. I have to left the stereo until attached right now. And I had my battery load tested and it came out fine. Terminals on the battery side are pretty good. I'll check the otherside. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea

i had something similar happen to me. it turned out to be one of the wires going to the starter. id be driving hit a bump and lose power for a split second. last time it happened I was turning when it stalled. couple hours later worked fine. I thought it was battery, vats, starter. but I took in to a shop and all they did was replace the wire and has been fine even since.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cheerio
i had something similar happen to me. it turned out to be one of the wires going to the starter. id be driving hit a bump and lose power for a split second. last time it happened I was turning when it stalled. couple hours later worked fine. I thought it was battery, vats, starter. but I took in to a shop and all they did was replace the wire and has been fine even since.
hate to admit this but... my buddy looked at it quick and basically the wire that went to the starter was...loose. so I jacked it up tightened and drove for about an hour and I guess I gotta wait and see how the next few days go. Thanks so much everyone for the help 😆😆
Old 02-17-2017, 07:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: No idea

Glad it worked. Hope this fixes it.