V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

2.8L Upgrade/Rebuild Brainstorming

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.8L Upgrade/Rebuild Brainstorming

How's everyone doin'?
I am currently brainstorming ideas for my 2.8L. I've seen threads about upgrading it. If I wanted to upgrade it, what can I do there? What companies sell good rebuild kits?

I don't care about a huge amount of additional horsepower, I don't race my car or hot rod it... not looking for 'charging' of any type. 27 years takes its toll on an engine and I want a plan set in place, ya know? I just enjoy cruising, and want to make sure she can for another 27 years.

So... what do y'all suggest?
Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: 2.8L Upgrade/Rebuild Brainstorming

There's a sticky about upgrades that can more than answer any of those questions. As far as a rebuild, how far are you going to go with it? Regasket or new pistons and rings/bearings, etc?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by drdave88
There's a sticky about upgrades that can more than answer any of those questions. As far as a rebuild, how far are you going to go with it? Regasket or new pistons and rings/bearings, etc?
I'm not really sure, as far as the rebuild goes. A little horsepower increase, manageable cost, and not overly time consuming would be ideal.
To be honest, I am looking for reliability first and foremost.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73

A "rebuild" is going to be time consuming and costly. Most likely, you will have to pull the engine, even to regasket it. How far you want (or need) to go into a rebuild will really come down to the condition of the engine once you get it apart. Does the block need machine work, crank, etc?
Is there a reason you want to rebuild it? If you are just looking for power increase, you may not need to go that deep into it. Start by searching TomP Tuneup. That will get a lot of your power back that you may have lost over time with parts wearing out, etc.
Now if you have multiple leaks, uneven compression, driveability issues, then a rebuild may be in your future. But they aren't cheap...... to have it done right. Especially if a machine shop gets involved.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by drdave88
A "rebuild" is going to be time consuming and costly. Most likely, you will have to pull the engine, even to regasket it. How far you want (or need) to go into a rebuild will really come down to the condition of the engine once you get it apart. Does the block need machine work, crank, etc?
Is there a reason you want to rebuild it? If you are just looking for power increase, you may not need to go that deep into it. Start by searching TomP Tuneup. That will get a lot of your power back that you may have lost over time with parts wearing out, etc.
Now if you have multiple leaks, uneven compression, driveability issues, then a rebuild may be in your future. But they aren't cheap...... to have it done right. Especially if a machine shop gets involved.

There's not a single issue with the engine. Runs strong, reliable, cranks every time. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I want to do when the time comes, you know?

You hit the nail on the head right there: Getting back that lost power. I'll definitely look him up.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:22 AM

Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5

If it was me , I would want to check what I can without pulling the motor. So take the heads off, look at the cylinder bores, if they look good, rebuild the top if they look bad then you know you gota pull the motor.
Tbh a basic compression test will tell ya how good the bottom end is too.
Having the heads off gives you a chance to put in new gaskets , check the heads are flats and get them torqued on tight, new lifters and push rods, fresh valve springs and a slightly nicer cam or just get 1.6 ratio rockers to help it a bit.

A new timing chain will be a must too, that'll make the biggest difference to how it runs, its probe way loose now !
Old 02-26-2017, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by zs&tas
If it was me , I would want to check what I can without pulling the motor. So take the heads off, look at the cylinder bores, if they look good, rebuild the top if they look bad then you know you gota pull the motor.
Tbh a basic compression test will tell ya how good the bottom end is too.
Having the heads off gives you a chance to put in new gaskets , check the heads are flats and get them torqued on tight, new lifters and push rods, fresh valve springs and a slightly nicer cam or just get 1.6 ratio rockers to help it a bit.

A new timing chain will be a must too, that'll make the biggest difference to how it runs, its probe way loose now !
All very excellent ideas... thank you!