Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

Tire Sizes for 1987 Firebird Base Formula

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Base Formula
Engine: 5.0 Liter EFI
Tire Sizes for 1987 Firebird Base Formula

Need experienced guys to give me advice for the best performance tire for my 87 Firebird. 235/60/R15's Tiger Paw GTS Uniroyals are on it now. These tires have been on it since the 1st owner and I am now the 3rd.

Thanks,
Tank
Old 02-19-2017, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45
Re: Tire Sizes for 1987 Firebird Base Formula

Welcome. I guess before getting to tire-specifics, a couple of things need to be cleared-up, which may, or may not, be disappointing to you. So if it does turn-out disappointing, sorry in advance

Firstly, if your Firebird is, in fact, a Formula, then it originally came with 16" wheels/tires, not 15". Because Firebirds and Formulas share the same numerical VIN prefix, some VIN decoders won't distinguish between the two models, simply calling all of them "Firebird Formula," which can make things confusing, especially when the base V8 engine is involved. So look for other option codes, such as WS6, to confirm that the car is a Formula, rather than simply a base Firebird with a V8.

And secondly, about that base V8, your car's profile states its engine is a 5.0 EFI, however, 1987's base V8(engine code H in the VIN) had a carb; EFI(engine code E)was introduced in 1988. Of course, your engine might not be original, so just sayin'...

I'm sure other people will chime-in with more detailed information lol.

Ok, tires...

You stated that you need 15" tires, and the size you have, 235/60-15, is the best size for 15. Unfortunately, there aren't many options left in that size, if you search through conventional sources. For example, Tire Rack lists three, and only two of those are for the street. However, internet searches for tires in that size should return several more results. So just do some general web searches, and you will probably find plenty of options in that size.

ebay vendors tend to have a lot of hard-to-find and discontinued tires/sizes, in both, name-brands and off-brands. Prices tend to be very attractive, too, and often with free shipping. Looking at ebay right now, I see many options in 235/60-15.

Most people here would never recommend off-brand tires, even though they've probably had some at one time or another and would never admit it. But even in our stock 16" "performance" size, 245/50-16, I've had some inexpensive off-brands that have performed just as well as the name-brands. So in your 15" size, I suspect you would be perfectly fine with whatever brand you choose.

Good luck and happy hunting!