Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

why jegs quit selling Demon carbs.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why jegs quit selling Demon carbs.....

had a nice little chat with a guy at jegs last night. i was askin about demon carbs and he says they had to quit selling them over a year ago. here is why....... first off he said when you do get a good one out of the box it's the best carb you can buy. but he said that they (jegs) were getting alot of them returned for warranty work. jegs wanted to swap them out in the store and send the defective ones back for replacement....well barry grant didn't see it that way. he wanted them to send the carb back for repairs. well i guess that their repair facility is sub-par. it was taking 3-4 weeks and sometimes longer for customers to get their carbs back. alot of people were getting pi$$ed off about the wait. then what he said shoked me.....he said that over the last few months that they dealt with them, that they were getting a ton of carbs that were junk right out of the box. he said that when they perform and are working right, they are superior to any other carb in every way. if i still wanted to go with a demon i should try a local speed shop or order from summit. but he recomended, if i could put up with the "finickiness" of a holley: i.e. running all f##ked up when the weather changes more than 10 degrees that it would be alot easier to go with a holley due to the mass amounts of parts available. (have you noticed you cant get rebuild kits for demon carbs???) or other accesories. so i guess when i go to jegs tomorrow i'll bet getting the classic holley 4150 850 double pumper for my mouse motor and just get a really good accessory kit lol.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt
I recently sent my Speed Demon main body back to Barry Grant for repairs..I stripped out the squirter screw holes by overtightening them and got the carb back repaired at NO CHARGE in one week including shipping back to me.I have dealt with too many companies in my years of toying with cars and 1 out of every 10 will provide this type of service at no charge.This is also after the fact the warranty on th carb is two year expired and the damage is my error.They also sent me two hollow squirter screws and installed idle air bleeds due to a lean spot off idle.In my books I couldn't ask for any better service.As far as being superior to Holley..we could go back and forth all day long.I know that my Demon holds a tune year round now that I have it right for the motor,that I never had luck with on a Holley.No flame towards Holley faithful..just my experience.I have ran almost every brand of carb out..and like my Demon the best.I luck out on getting service parts as my engine shop I always deal with is a Demon dealer for the local circle track crowd.I still recommend Demon for your app.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:23 PM

really? thats beat, i was at the local speed shop by me , and the counter guy was saying 02' has been holleys worst year he has sent back 8 carbs. and this is coming from a local shop. looks like these companys better get back on the quality control.
Old 10-12-2002, 03:14 PM

Car: 87 Formula
Engine: L98-350
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3:08 Posi (Disk)
i only run carb's on my drag car ive never tried a demon but i have solid run after run in my holly i run a 780 on it thank *** i got a few of these plus 2 new ones never out of the box lol..but like you have all said the companys need to get on there quality control.

Sammy
Old 10-22-2002, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Return rates on things like carburetors, which require tuning, are always high...people can, and will, screw them up, or misdiagnose the problem they had when they decided to buy a carburetor in the first place, and think the new carb is defective because their real problem didn't go away! I worked for a large racing parts warehouse in Atlanta, and never did a return on a Demon for any reason. Not saying they're perfect, nothing is, but I got lots of Edelbrocks and Holleys back (most weren't defective, they just weren't idiot proof). I think the average guy putting down the extra $$ to buy a Demon usually knows what he is doing, or is paying someone who does. If I was going to buy any carb myself, it would be a Demon, no question. I'd hazard to guess that there might be a little more to the story than the Jeg's rep let on. Maybe they take carbs back too easily, and BG is tired of taking them back when there is nothing wrong with them.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:49 PM

well maybe on the next motor i might give demons a try. i bought the 830 chokeless race carb for my 383 and my buddy says he's really good at tuning double pumpers so we'll see how that one works out.