Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Seafoam, good product but a word of caution

Old 11-29-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 sport coupe
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: auto
Seafoam, good product but a word of caution

I ran some seafoam through my intake today following the can instructions. '88 2.8LV6. The idle is much smoother and the car responds much better. However I found two things out.

First, if you have an exhaust leak you didn't know about you will find it while you are cleaning the intake. Apparently both my vehicles have engine compartment exhaust leaks.

Second make sure that there is nothing even remotely close to the exhaust manifolds that could burn. Apparently the seafoam raises the EGT, which makes sense if the carbon is supposed to burn off. Part of my wiring harness caught fire, which wasn't helped by the leaky valve cover gaskets. Got it out quick but I won't do this again until I fix my exhaust and valve cover gaskets.

Happy with the results of the product otherwise.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:39 PM

Re: Seafoam, good product but a word of caution

Ya, my car got kinda hot after using it to store my car for the winter. But boy did it clean it out. After using the 1/3 of the can like it says, my car was back to its old self, breaking sideways with the shift into second (which is awesome for an AT).

I recommend Seafoam too and hope everything turns out great.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:03 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4

I love seafoam too, always used it on all of my cars when i got them. i took my throttle body off the other day and boy does this camaro need it! so ill be buying a bottle tomorrow!

greatly reccomended for everyone!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:34 PM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

Sounds interesting.
Where can you buy this stuff?
I see they have a bug B gone also.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:45 PM

Seafoam can be found at any autozone or orielly auto parts stores. Its a can that is white with red label. It will set next to fuel stabilizers and injector/carb cleaners. READ THE DIRECTIONS THOROUGHLY!

I like to use 2/3s of the can in the gas and then the remaining 1/3 can can be poured into the intake SLOWLY so as to not kill the engine. Then take her out and mash the hell out of the throttle on every road until there is no more smoke coming out. Then go ahead and swing a middle finger out of the window and show the ozone layer a nice bird. This stuff makes my cigarette pack killing machine of a girlfriend cough and sputter.... Maybe she needs some Seafoam.... I will wake her up and ask.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:52 PM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 383 stroker
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

I use seafoam in everything....lawnmower, leaf blower, etc....it is awesome stuff! Only problem is I have four cars to maintain and they get treated at least once a year....and at $10 a can in Philly. I usually pick a nice windy day to do this on all four cars so I can fog the neighborhood. My wife's minivan had a clogged #1 injector so I dumped a whole can in the tank with a 1/2 tank of gas to clean it and....no more clogged injector.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 with Edelbrock ProFlow EFI
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.73 Eaton posi

My dad recently used the stuff in his CBX and claims it helped make the bike a little more responsive. Then again he also said he can hear more clicking/ticking. It needs the valves adjusted so we'll find out in a couple weeks if it was something the Seafoam damaged or if the valves just did need to be adjusted. I've been thinking about using it in my Camaro but I don't know if I should bother since I'll be taking it apart this winter. I suppose it wouldn't hurt since there is 1 and 2/3 cans left (we bought 2).

Our tow vehicle is getting some Seafoam love for sure!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:20 PM

just did this in my camaro, and the difference is amazing!!!!!! where full throttle was before, is half throttle now, and with the new tranny it breaks sideways shhifting into second almost every time. haha
Old 12-12-2009, 07:18 PM

Car: 86 trans am
Engine: 5.0 305
Transmission: 5 speed

can you use this one cars woth a carb, or is it only for fuel injected, because i know my car could use this
Old 12-12-2009, 08:34 PM

anything and everything! if it uses fuel seafoam will work
Old 12-12-2009, 09:45 PM

Car: 86 IROC-Z, 82 z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Torsen, 4.56 Auburn

I know a guy who swears by this stuff. Hey, if it works it's gotta be better than half the crap on the market.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:58 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Sounds like good stuff, on a TBI, would you just pour it slowly into where the injectors spray or what, just wondering, wouldn't adding it to a tank of gas do the same thing as pouring it into the intake for a TBI?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:18 PM

not sure on tbl, i would probably still use a vacuum line to the tb. but mixing it in the fuel isnt going to clean the intake as good because there will be a much lower concentration, and it wont be allowed to sit in the intake area
Old 12-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

well with TBI i pull off my air cleaner assembly, and stick a funnel in the throat of the bore, then SLOWLY pour it in. i do about 1/2 the can depending on wether or not the car needs it (i just guess lol) once you get down to almost the end of how much you want just pour it in fast and choke out the motor, let it sit for 15 mins and then fire it up. Fair warning though, it smokes...alot lol and it keeps smoking for a bit so dont think you screwed anything up, funny thing is with my headers/ 3 inch all the way back, if i rev it up to about 1600 from idle and then drop out the gas, it will start blowing smoke rings out the tips lol

i use it all around the car except in the oil pan, personal fear of mine heard too many horror stories, the trick is IF you use it in the oil, DONT drive on it, use it like a flush, heat up the car, pour it into the oil, let it idle, then change the oil if you run the car with it in there you have a chance of spinning a bearing cuz it will cut the thin film of oil down thats needed to spin the crank.

I normally use half in my TBI and then the other half goes in my tank all around amazing product!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by BluFBdy
well with TBI i pull off my air cleaner assembly, and stick a funnel in the throat of the bore, then SLOWLY pour it in. i do about 1/2 the can depending on wether or not the car needs it (i just guess lol) once you get down to almost the end of how much you want just pour it in fast and choke out the motor, let it sit for 15 mins and then fire it up. Fair warning though, it smokes...alot lol and it keeps smoking for a bit so dont think you screwed anything up, funny thing is with my headers/ 3 inch all the way back, if i rev it up to about 1600 from idle and then drop out the gas, it will start blowing smoke rings out the tips lol

i use it all around the car except in the oil pan, personal fear of mine heard too many horror stories, the trick is IF you use it in the oil, DONT drive on it, use it like a flush, heat up the car, pour it into the oil, let it idle, then change the oil if you run the car with it in there you have a chance of spinning a bearing cuz it will cut the thin film of oil down thats needed to spin the crank.

I normally use half in my TBI and then the other half goes in my tank all around amazing product!
Thanks for the info!!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: LS1 T56
Axle/Gears: Richmond 3.73

whats really fun is driving around after you put it in and watch all the smoke come out...I got pulled over once for it too.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 rs, 86 Trans Am
Engine: RS-V6... Trans Am-LG4
Transmission: RS-T5... Trans Am 700r4

sounds like when we used to clean carbs by pouring transmission fluid into them...

Can somebody tell me what port I would use to put seafoam into a 2.8?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Car: 84 monte carlo ss 85 camaro z28
Engine: 350/350vortec
Transmission: turbo 350/700r4
Axle/Gears: stock posi

Originally Posted by 88camaroluvr
Seafoam can be found at any autozone or orielly auto parts stores. Its a can that is white with red label. It will set next to fuel stabilizers and injector/carb cleaners. READ THE DIRECTIONS THOROUGHLY!

I like to use 2/3s of the can in the gas and then the remaining 1/3 can can be poured into the intake SLOWLY so as to not kill the engine. Then take her out and mash the hell out of the throttle on every road until there is no more smoke coming out. Then go ahead and swing a middle finger out of the window and show the ozone layer a nice bird. This stuff makes my cigarette pack killing machine of a girlfriend cough and sputter.... Maybe she needs some Seafoam.... I will wake her up and ask.
hahahahaha LMFAO!! XD
Old 12-27-2009, 09:38 PM

but ive used it many of times works great reminds me that i should do this again. i will have to buy two one for my camaro and the monte. should be fun my neighbors will be pissed though hehe :]
Old 12-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 SD TPI
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 Posi

yeah last time i did this i had a car come flyin up on me so i down shifted and mashed the gas which managed to smoke out the road, guess who it was! the local cop lol red and blue never looked so cool maybe it was the look of the charger pulling through a cloud of smoke or somethin, the only reason i got out of the ticket is cuz i was wearin my shop shirt and said it was a customers car that needed the seafoam put in and cleaned out as fast as possible cuz they needed their car back to pick their kids up from school lol I think i called it "general maintainence" or somethin lol
Old 12-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Car: 89 5.7 IROC/95 LT1 Corvette
Engine: All 5.7's
Transmission: 700R4 (Roessler)/ZF6
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt Zexel 3.23's. CTW 17" wheel

I used it on my 95 Corvette about 2 years ago and had the fire dept show up at the neighbors house! Seems the smoke found it's way to thier central air and shazam! House full of smoke! I was just closing the garage door as they pulled up! Figured it was time to grab a beer and sit on the porch and watch the pretty lights.

Oh, the stuff works great.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 PM

just did mine tonite at my gfs house to my monte funniest thing ever i did it in the cover of night and it just mixed with the snowfall we are having in southwest PA at first it didnt smoke but then went crazy after i hit the gas a few times hehehe
Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 Tuned Port Injection, for now.
Axle/Gears: Posi - 3.23

Originally Posted by IROCK ZZ
just did this in my camaro, and the difference is amazing!!!!!! where full throttle was before, is half throttle now, and with the new tranny it breaks sideways shhifting into second almost every time. haha
What do you mean breaks sideways in second?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z
What do you mean breaks sideways in second?
*** end comes around when he shifts into second. means more HP at the wheels/ he feels it has.

sea foam should only be used on old engines? wats the earliest you would run it on an engine... say how many miles? it doesnt effect any sensors like O2, or widebands etc?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by customblackbird
*** end comes around when he shifts into second. means more HP at the wheels/ he feels it has.

sea foam should only be used on old engines? wats the earliest you would run it on an engine... say how many miles? it doesnt effect any sensors like O2, or widebands etc?
OOOhhhhhh. Thanks for the heads up man. Well givin that the O2 sensor begins to operate @ around 600*, I can assume that there will be a slight fluctuation in how the fuel is delivered via Fuel Injectors. I believe the O2 sensor works by resistance that the heat of the exaust. I could be wrong though. If the ECM senses a problem, it would throw a troublecode, maby. Then you would just have to clear the ECM code by disconnecting the + battery terminal.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 rs, 86 Trans Am
Engine: RS-V6... Trans Am-LG4
Transmission: RS-T5... Trans Am 700r4

I seafoamed my car twice, and it's running like the day it rolled out the factory doors. Amazing.
It used to have this nasty sounding bark/backfire while I started it, but after the seafoam, it went away
Old 03-19-2010, 06:35 PM

Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird Base
Transmission: 700r4, B&M shifter & shift kit inst
Axle/Gears: 3:23....10 bolt

Originally Posted by 88camaroluvr

i love you XD
Old 03-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Supreme Member

OOOhhhhhh. Thanks for the heads up man. Well givin that the O2 sensor begins to operate @ around 600*, I can assume that there will be a slight fluctuation in how the fuel is delivered via Fuel Injectors. I believe the O2 sensor works by resistance that the heat of the exaust. I could be wrong though. If the ECM senses a problem, it would throw a troublecode, maby. Then you would just have to clear the ECM code by disconnecting the + battery terminal.

actually thats wrong. sensors can be bad and the ECM wouldnt know. defective MAFs cause mind knumbing engine headaches and other things can wipe out a 02 sensor and the ECM wouldnt know it. it would just run worse and mask itself as another issue. for example, blown head gasket even if it were small would cause the engine to burn coolant, not enough for you to tell by white smoke coming out of the exhaust. you would comsume coolant and not understand why. Burnt coolant WIPES OUT 02 sensors faster than u would think. i drove around for 4 months with a blown/cracked headgasket, lost coolant and couldnt find a leak, car ran "alittle" different but the ECM threw NO codes. i had a bad 02 sensor that worked... ran alittle ruff but it ran and it didnt throw a code. i pulled the sensor and pieces of the ceramic insolator inside fell out of the holes in the 02 sensing part.

point being that if burnt coolant can wipe out a 02 sensor then will seafoam effect any sensors? or plugs? reason i ask is that wideband 02 sensors are NOT cheap, yet they are wayyyy more sensitive to things than regular 02 sensors.

02 sensors are resistance by 0-1V. they are only accurate around 14.7... and i use the word "accurate" loosely here. they require a 600degree temperature to work properly, so basically they exhaust has to heat up/heat the sensor up to 600degrees before it can work properly. Heated 02 sensors AKA 3 wire 02 sensors have a heating element to heat the sensor faster so that it works faster and better since the sensor cant dip below the 600degree mark and become inefficent or not work at all, this happens on the 1 wire 02 sensors on long tube headers sometimes bc its farther away from the cylinders.

again my question still stands. does seafoam effect sensitive sensors like widebands/injectors etc and would someone use it on a engine that has less than 30,000 or 50,000 miles?
Old 03-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sunbitz
Sounds interesting.
Where can you buy this stuff?
I see they have a bug B gone also.
We sell Seafoam and Techron (2) well respected names in the industry!
Here is some info on the product:

100% Pure Petroleum
Use in All Engines in All Seasons
2 Cycle, 4 Cycle, and Diesels

Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase
  • Cleans fuel injectors
  • Cleans carburetor jets
  • Cleans carbon
  • Stabilizes fuels
  • Upper cylinder lube
  • Removes moisture in fuel
  • De-icer
  • Frees sticky lifters
  • Frees sticky rings
  • Removes moisture in oil
  • Cleans P.C.V. systems
  • Cleans catalytic converter odors
  • Oxygen sensor safe
  • How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines

Autos, Trucks, and Tractors
  1. With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
  2. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
  3. Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
  4. Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.’s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.
FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.

For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles
  • A 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 cycle. OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE.
  • Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY.
  • Removes moisture from oil crankcases and fuel tanks.
  • Stabilizes and conditions fuels. Use for engine storage.
  • Cure hesitations, stalls, pings and rough idle due to carbon buildup.
  • Helps pass emissions test. EPA Registered.
When Used Thru Injection or Carburetor
  • Cleans carbon build up
  • Cleans intake valves and pistons
  • Gives smoother idle
  • Cleans catalytic converter odors
  • Cures hesitations and pings
  • Restores power and pickup
  • With warm engine running, SLOWLY poor 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short period of time.
  • For use in injector cleaning machines, use 50% SEA FOAM and 50% fuel.
  • Fill diesel filters with SEA FOAM to clean injectors fast.
When Added to Crankcase (Oil)
  1. Frees sticky lifters and rings
  2. Increases R.P.M.’s vacuum and compression
  3. Cleans dirty parts
  4. Removes moisture
  5. Cleans PCV valve systems
One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

When Added to Fuel Tank
  • Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets
  • Cleans carbon as you drive
  • Lubricates upper cylinders
  • De-ices and removes moisture
  • Diesel full conditioner and anti gel
  • Stabilizes fuel
One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).
In Injector Cleaning Machines
Add a 50/50 blend of fuel and SEA FOAM into injector cleaning machine. Run directly through the fuel rails to clean injectors fast. Add SEA FOAM to your fuel tank to clean injectors as you drive.

For more information, call
516-492-6504
http://southbayfuelinjectors.com
Attached Thumbnails Seafoam, good product but a word of caution-img_0427.jpg  

Last edited by southbay08; 03-20-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 PM

STICKY THIS THREAD!!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

Id rather hit Autozone. Saves me the shipping fee. Besides, If I was a sponser here on the message boards, then my first priority would be customer satisfaction. Me having to call a long distance number to a "known vendor" isnt really making me feel too warm and fuzzy. Seems like they are trying to save a little money by having a local number. But thats just me.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:48 PM

Car: 87 IROC-Z

Id rather hit Autozone. Saves me the shipping fee. Besides, If I was a sponser here on the message boards, then my first priority would be customer satisfaction. Me having to call a long distance number to a "known vendor" isnt really making me feel too warm and fuzzy. Seems like they are trying to save a little money by having a local number. But thats just me.
You don't have to call them, they have a web site :P
Old 03-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

For other products you do need to call for more info.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 PM

Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am "Daytona"
Engine: LG4 305 V8
Transmission: T5 5-speed

So in my '83 with the LG4 305 carb'd motor, I dump 1/2 a can into the carb while it's running, then when I'm done pouring it, turn the car off...then 5 minutes later start it back up and let it run till it stops smoking? Is that the gist of it? I just ran a full can in the gas tank last time I fueled up. Dumped the can in, then filled the tank.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:30 PM

Car: 87 IROC-Z

For other products you do need to call for more info.
Who in this day doesn't have a cell phone with free long distance? Are you really alarmed about that? For real?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 86 Z28
Engine: Built 312
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42

Originally Posted by customblackbird

I seafoam everything we have- 05 Coloradao, 02 Trailblazer, 99 Grand Am, and 86 Z28, as well as a late 80's Toro Recycler, and a mid 2000s Craftsman single stage snow blower.

I bought our Collie w/ 13k on the clock, and seafoamed at 20k. The only code that has ever been thrown was a MAP code from feeding too much seafoam too fast. Cleared it out w/ HP Tuners scanner.

For all the vehicles, I just use the brake booster line to injest it. Then, sitting in the drive, run it to about 2k until the smoke disappears. I used to cropdust the hood, but learned it was not what seafoam recommended.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

You can use seafoam on just about anything. See above post.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 PM

Car: 1991 Formula Firebird
Engine: L98 with headers/exhaust
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt

I SeaFoamed the whole fleet the other weekend. Great product!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Supreme Member

i picked up a can of sea foam the other day. is the product from seafoamsales.com.

i havent used it yet but i plan to after my first oil change in about 2500miles. basically i want to clean out the carbon on the back of the intake valves (yes there is some already after 800miles) what would i do? it says to put it in through a vacume line to clean carbon. it says slowly induce 1/3pint direct into vacume line. and for injector cleaning machines to use 50% sea foam and 50% fuel.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:04 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 c.i. T.B.I.
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: stock open 2.72

Hey guys, seafoam is great, but if you go to an NTB, Merchants, Firestone,MR.Tire, Sears, ECT. the 3 step fuel system cleaner is the same thing, at work we take the vacuum line off of the brake booster and run an iv into it, the iv is the best way to do it, and i dont really recomend it on OBD2(96+) unless you are replacing the o2 sensors, and it will not hurt any other sensor
Old 04-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 RS, 92 Z28
Engine: 305 TBI, 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Both Cars
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi.. 4 wheel disc both cars

Aren't most of these product basically K1 Kerosene???? I have used Sea Foam on my TBI, it does work well....
Old 05-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 mild build up
Axle/Gears: Stock

What I want to know is, How long will the engine smoke? Will it stop when all the crap is burned out? If I pour anything in my tank I sure dont want it to look getto with all the smoke, Ya know?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by kd5icr
What I want to know is, How long will the engine smoke? Will it stop when all the crap is burned out? If I pour anything in my tank I sure dont want it to look getto with all the smoke, Ya know?
mine didnt smoek til it floored it and then it barely smoked at all, but then i got better throttle response and other added studff
Old 05-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23

I used it as described in the directions 1/3 in tank, 1/3 in oil, 1/3 in intake while running in my Mother-in-law v6 bonneville after she hadn't changed the oil for 2+ years (said oil changes are to expensive... ). It didn't smoke at all. I haven't had to use it in my firebird yet since the motor has around 100 miles on. I've heard of other people using it and it smoking enough it actually makes a fog, but I've always heard of it stopping within 10-15 minutes.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by kd5icr
Depends if you have a lot of carbon buildup or not....just run it at 2k+ until you don't see any more smoke. Vary the rpm of course.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:36 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniversary
Engine: Stock 305 TBI, LT1 soon.
Transmission: V6 NWC T5 by choice
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen LSD with 3.23's

So, is this stuff first poured in the intake while the car is idling?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by camaromike222
So, is this stuff first poured in the intake while the car is idling?
Siphoned into the intake via the power brake vac line while idling AND fully warmed up.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Car: 87 firebird
Engine: carbed 305

i put this in my 87 bird 305 poured it 2/3 into the gas and the rest down the carb (how my mechanic told me to do it) next time i started it my bottom end was making a really loud clunking sound. were thinking spun bearing. so a rebuild is in process. probably didnt help that it sat for 8 years. it was due for a rebuild
The following users liked this post:
Culdee (09-10-2020)
Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 AM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 mild build up
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by fireturd350
I used it as described in the directions 1/3 in tank, 1/3 in oil, 1/3 in intake while running in my Mother-in-law v6 bonneville after she hadn't changed the oil for 2+ years (said oil changes are to expensive... ). It didn't smoke at all. I haven't had to use it in my firebird yet since the motor has around 100 miles on. I've heard of other people using it and it smoking enough it actually makes a fog, but I've always heard of it stopping within 10-15 minutes.
Ok then. I have no choice I have to get a used engine because I just dont have the money to get a new one. Would you recomend that I use this in the engine. Now of course I get to hear the engine run before I get it, so I will have one that doesnt smoke or have a knock in it.

Last edited by kd5icr; 05-09-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1995 Formula
Engine: LT1 350
Transmission: Built 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, Eaton posi, 3.73's

You shouldn't have anything that can melt or burn near your exhaust, anyway.

Originally Posted by awolfalone2006
I ran some seafoam through my intake today following the can instructions. '88 2.8LV6. The idle is much smoother and the car responds much better. However I found two things out.

First, if you have an exhaust leak you didn't know about you will find it while you are cleaning the intake. Apparently both my vehicles have engine compartment exhaust leaks.

Second make sure that there is nothing even remotely close to the exhaust manifolds that could burn. Apparently the seafoam raises the EGT, which makes sense if the carbon is supposed to burn off. Part of my wiring harness caught fire, which wasn't helped by the leaky valve cover gaskets. Got it out quick but I won't do this again until I fix my exhaust and valve cover gaskets.

Happy with the results of the product otherwise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seafoam, good product but a word of caution