Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

KYB or Monroe Front Struts

Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7 ltr.
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:27 9 Bolt Borg Warner
KYB or Monroe Front Struts

I would like opinions from the members on front struts for our f-body cars. I've heard KYB rides a little stiff, but looking for some kind of an upgrade from Monroe's with good handling capability. Not going to do slolum racing, just looking for a good quality front strut...
Old 05-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E
Re: KYB or Monroe Front Struts

in that price range, kyb all the way.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

KYB! Monroes are the most basic entry level shock you can get. They are for soccer moms and the guy who doesn't have to sense to ask people who know. If you care about you are, and its handling get KYB. I would opt for Qa1, bilstein, koni if I was going to replace mine. For an average replacement KYB's are great.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I went with KYB about a week ago. I started a whole thread about it. If you're not an aggressive or competitive driver, and if the rest of your ride is stock, you should really enjoy the improved ride, especially for the price. You might also consider KYB Gas-a-Just shocks for the rear while you're at it.

I have no idea why guys out there are dumping tons of money on Koni or Bilstein, unless they're racing their cars on a road course. As much as I LOVE my car, I am a realist. It's 22 years old and it was a product of mid 80's GM engineering at its finest. My approach to my car is to enjoy it for what it is and not go overboard on replacement parts as there will likely be many more to come.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Some guys don't use their third gens as every day drivers, the guys who resto mod will dump any kind of money for top of the line parts. Theres no reason not to take mid 80's engineering and beef it up closer to today's engineering. For those who can afford to replace low end parts with high end parts in their project cars. I am one of those guys, besides being able to afford the parts. I work my A** off everyday at work,to be able to purchase and install quality after market parts into my car little by little, after the water bills, electric bills, mortgage, cable, phone bills, car insurance, ect are all paid. This is what I do, have done on many cars, and will continue to do in the future.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

I've been running KYB struts on my Camaro since I got it back on the road 3 summers ago. I put their Gas-a-justs on the rear last summer. I've been happy with all of them. Definite improvement over stock. If I could afford Konis or Bilsteins I would consider them. I just don't see the point in spending more on struts and shocks than I paid for the whole car. I'd rather put that money into other things like the V8 swap I did a couple winters ago. The whole swap cost me about as much as a full set of Konis or Bilsteins would have, and I'd rather have a V8 than top-of-the-line shocks and struts.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by blackbmagic
Some guys don't use their third gens as every day drivers, the guys who resto mod will dump any kind of money for top of the line parts. Theres no reason not to take mid 80's engineering and beef it up closer to today's engineering. For those who can afford to replace low end parts with high end parts in their project cars. I am one of those guys, besides being able to afford the parts. I work my A** off everyday at work,to be able to purchase and install quality after market parts into my car little by little, after the water bills, electric bills, mortgage, cable, phone bills, car insurance, ect are all paid. This is what I do, have done on many cars, and will continue to do in the future.
Ditto on that !
Old 05-13-2011, 06:29 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI

I put Bilstein's on my truck (GM) and they are honestly the best shocks I've ever had. Ride is completely smooth and amazed at how they perform. Have KYB on my Camaro, replacing them with Bilstein probably this summer.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 92RS_Ttop
I've been running KYB struts on my Camaro since I got it back on the road 3 summers ago. I put their Gas-a-justs on the rear last summer. I've been happy with all of them. Definite improvement over stock. If I could afford Konis or Bilsteins I would consider them. I just don't see the point in spending more on struts and shocks than I paid for the whole car. I'd rather put that money into other things like the V8 swap I did a couple winters ago. The whole swap cost me about as much as a full set of Konis or Bilsteins would have, and I'd rather have a V8 than top-of-the-line shocks and struts.
Why choose, if you have a project car its a project. You do the swap and then you get shocks down the road. There are by far more important things to me than shocks, which is why I havent done mine yet. When I am up to that phase in my project I will have no problem replacing all the bushings, brackets, camber plates, control arms, k-member and dropping in Qa1 shocks. I spent about a grand swapping in my 350, and another 3 grand on parts and accessories for it. That doesnt stop me from spending that kind of money again on suspension, or paint, or brakes.....
Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)

KYB GR-2 front struts and KYB Gas-Adj rear shocks are a very good combo for people who don't want or need the Bank Busters.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

Originally Posted by blackbmagic
Why choose, if you have a project car its a project. You do the swap and then you get shocks down the road. There are by far more important things to me than shocks, which is why I havent done mine yet. When I am up to that phase in my project I will have no problem replacing all the bushings, brackets, camber plates, control arms, k-member and dropping in Qa1 shocks. I spent about a grand swapping in my 350, and another 3 grand on parts and accessories for it. That doesnt stop me from spending that kind of money again on suspension, or paint, or brakes.....
That was my problem. I didn't have a choice on when to replace the struts and shocks. When I got the Camaro, it had been wrecked and the passenger side strut was destroyed so they had to be replaced right away. The rear shocks were intact, but were pretty worn out.

I wish I had that kind of money to drop on an engine swap, paint, or anything else on my Camaro. I have to split my parts money between my Camaro and the wife's project car. My V8 swap came to right around 1600 for everything(engine, rebuild, accessories, etc), including rebuilding the T5. Once the KYB's wear out, I'll consider upgrading to something like Koni's or Bilstein's. The KYB's were a nice compromise between breaking my budget with performance pieces and staying stock.

I do drive the car aggressively, I won't deny that, and it is my daily driver from about May through October/November. My end goal is to have a corner-carver first, and straight-line acceleration second. While I will pay top dollar for a part when there is no alternative, if I can get the same or similar performance from a lower-priced part then I will go that route every time. Or if its something I can fab myself, like rear suspension pieces or SFC's. Any money I save on part ABC is money I can spend elsewhere on the car on part XYZ. Or gas the way prices have been lately
Old 05-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

koni's are warrantied for life too. Just pay shipping and they will rebuild them forever. Thats worth something too if you plan on keeping the car around.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

Ive got 100k on my monroes and they're finally worn out. Lifetime warranty but Ill be going with KYBs this time. Rode in a few cars with KYBs and IMHO the small cost hike is worthwhile. I first went monroes because I would get a set of 4 for under $100. For the money, they're not bad
Old 05-18-2011, 10:12 AM

My Monroe struts have been on my GTA for over 10 years now. The last 8 years I have only put about 2,000 miles on my GTA. The struts all together probably don't have 10,000 miles on them, but I'm thinking over this length of time they are probably due to be swapped out.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: '89 GTA
Axle/Gears: 3.27/9-bolt

To the OP, you asked for an upgrade to Monroe, so I'd agree KYB's would be suitable on a budget. They do have a few models to choose from as stated above.

However, there is a very noticeable between KYB's and Bilsteins for example. I've had both on my 3rd gen GTA and 4th gen T/A. The ride quality and smoothness were night and day with Bilsteins, especially with different springs. Also, Bilstein offers a lifetime warranty if they ever fail, with certain restrictions.

You definitely get what you pay for, but I think your usage, needs and how long you keep your car will determine if you think it's worthwhile. Sounds like you may have your GTA a long while, so put some good stuff on there and enjoy the ride!