Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

http://www.speedomotive.com Stroker Experts Since 1946

Old 09-02-2002, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
http://www.speedomotive.com Stroker Experts Since 1946

http://www.speedomotive.com
Stroker Experts Since 1946

super cheap quality parts. Friend did a a 460 stroker through him and it cost about hlaf the price of anyone else with the same quality parts. He is now gonna do a 383 stroker.

me im gonna get a 305 rebuild kit for 135 bucks, I just want new bearing and gaskets but once you look around.
few extra buck and I got lots of extra parts.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73
Do a search

About these people......
You'll be sorry!!!!!!!
If there was a black list for these kind, they would be tops on the list!
Old 09-02-2002, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Ok i did the search and found nothing. I aslo was thinking about this company
Why are they bad?
Old 09-02-2002, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Do a search

Originally posted by Dyno Don
About these people......
You'll be sorry!!!!!!!
If there was a black list for these kind, they would be tops on the list!
who where and why? now long as all your doing is buying parts, what can go wrong?

now maybe this dude is old and he may not build engines as well. but pulling the same parts of the shelf as summit for alot cheaper is not easy/hard to screw up.

friend is real happy with his stroker kit.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:10 AM

I ordered some forged H-beam 6" rods from them, paid an extra $20 to get them balanced, and their service and the balance of the rods was excellent. I would use them again.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:13 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Speed-o-Motive Sucks!

Wow, the posts arent there any more. Let me type it up again.

A friend of mine has a '64 Corvette, and went to Speed-o-Motive to get a 400 engine built by them. They claimed it would make 450 HP. After a few months of waiting, they finally said the engine was completed. He picked it up and had it installed. Right from the beginning the engine used up a lot of oil. Even after 3000 miles and two oil changes it was still burning oil. He took it back to them, and they "refreshed" it and gave it back to him. Same story, still burning oil. He had it dynoed, and it made 350 HP. He took it back to them, unhappy, and demanded resolution. They basically told him to go away. Then he mentioned he is a lawyer. Their tune changed, they refunded his money, and apologized. He now has a 383 engine from another company that outperforms the 400 in every way.

The other story is shared by my dad, Dyno Don, and involves his friend. This friend has a 1987 El Camino, and wanted to replace the LG4 with a 383. He told them this was a street car that needed to pass emissions, used a stock converter and stock exhaust manifolds. They provided the block, which turned out to be a 87 roller block with a 1-piece seal. However, they told him to use a flat-tappet cam because "it would make more power". This cam was rather large, in the 220's intake duration, with 110 lobe centers. When the engine was installed (again after a few months wait), it was the same story as the other guy. It burned oil constantly, and was a slug under 3000 RPMs. Not to mention it got about 5 MPG. The guy argued with them back and forth on the phone, until finally they agreed to "freshen up" the engine at no charge. After another wait, the engine was delivered back to my dad, who took it apart to inspect it before he installed it in the car again. What he found was unbelieveable. They used a cheap set of piston rings (so much for the same quality parts). They didnt clean the carbon from behind the rings. They didnt clean the top of the bores. They didnt drill out the EGR passage in the heads. They didnt clearance the heads for center-bolt valve covers, which was some of the cause of the oil leak. They didnt keep the lifters separated. In fact they didnt keep the lifters at all. When my dad called them up to describe the crap he found, they gave him the run around. And even though the engine only had about 3000 miles on it, they threw away the lifters, saying "we dont save used lifters." If they had kept the lifters, the cam would have still been good to sell to someone else. And when my dad said he was going to spread the bad word about them on the internet, they shrugged it off and laughed.
This place has moved locations about 5 times in the last 6 years. There's a reason why their prices are so much cheaper than everyone elses. You get what you pay for. They're the McDonald's of engine builders.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Supreme Member

well my friends 460 stroker worked out great.

I am also eyeballing the 355 or 383 kit, for under 500bucks its real tempting.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:14 PM

I was thinking of getting a all forged mighty mouse 383 rotating assembly from them. Now I'm just confused, the're great and they suck.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:22 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by worldofool
I was thinking of getting a all forged mighty mouse 383 rotating assembly from them. Now I'm just confused, the're great and they suck.
go ahead and order it. My friends crank is nice. Most of the parts are off shelf but he does turn the cranks.
Its real nice.

He is a real picky, block has been at two places double checking the work. Don't even question it.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:10 AM

I bought a 406 rotating assembly from them. I regret it. I am dissapointed in the quality of the crank (Forged but it is ultra heavy cheap casting). Rod's were ok but bolts were supposed to be ARP. They weren't after trying to deal with them on the phone multiple times I just ordered the bolts from ARP myself. Do the research and you'll find their price isn't that much less than a better quality assembly. Eagle is a good affordable company for bottom ends.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:57 AM

Car: 1993 Toyota Supra
Engine: Inline 6
Transmission: 6 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.13
I purchased a 383 stroker kit from them and the service was great. I did happen to have a problem with the first set of rods they sent with the stroker assembly but I called them up and they air mailed me another set the next day. So overall, I'm pretty happy with them and i would order from them again.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:41 PM

Location: working at a horse farm, gonna go to somerset county tech. inst. in january.
Car: 87 GMC sierra classic
Engine: fresh 350, minor mods (its been de-emissioned too)
Transmission: professionally re-built 700R4, REALLY hard shifts & bigger clutch packs
i dunno, i checked the site out. They seem to be good people, especially judging from the pictures and knowing what kind of racers they supply.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: Formerly - 87 T/A, 87 Bird.
Re: Speed-o-Motive Sucks!

Originally posted by Kevin91Z
Wow, the posts arent there any more. Let me type it up again.

A friend of mine has a '64 Corvette, and went to Speed-o-Motive to get a 400 engine built by them. They claimed it would make 450 HP. After a few months of waiting, they finally said the engine was completed. He picked it up and had it installed. Right from the beginning the engine used up a lot of oil. Even after 3000 miles and two oil changes it was still burning oil. He took it back to them, and they "refreshed" it and gave it back to him. Same story, still burning oil. He had it dynoed, and it made 350 HP. He took it back to them, unhappy, and demanded resolution. They basically told him to go away. Then he mentioned he is a lawyer. Their tune changed, they refunded his money, and apologized. He now has a 383 engine from another company that outperforms the 400 in every way.

The other story is shared by my dad, Dyno Don, and involves his friend. This friend has a 1987 El Camino, and wanted to replace the LG4 with a 383. He told them this was a street car that needed to pass emissions, used a stock converter and stock exhaust manifolds. They provided the block, which turned out to be a 87 roller block with a 1-piece seal. However, they told him to use a flat-tappet cam because "it would make more power". This cam was rather large, in the 220's intake duration, with 110 lobe centers. When the engine was installed (again after a few months wait), it was the same story as the other guy. It burned oil constantly, and was a slug under 3000 RPMs. Not to mention it got about 5 MPG. The guy argued with them back and forth on the phone, until finally they agreed to "freshen up" the engine at no charge. After another wait, the engine was delivered back to my dad, who took it apart to inspect it before he installed it in the car again. What he found was unbelieveable. They used a cheap set of piston rings (so much for the same quality parts). They didnt clean the carbon from behind the rings. They didnt clean the top of the bores. They didnt drill out the EGR passage in the heads. They didnt clearance the heads for center-bolt valve covers, which was some of the cause of the oil leak. They didnt keep the lifters separated. In fact they didnt keep the lifters at all. When my dad called them up to describe the crap he found, they gave him the run around. And even though the engine only had about 3000 miles on it, they threw away the lifters, saying "we dont save used lifters." If they had kept the lifters, the cam would have still been good to sell to someone else. And when my dad said he was going to spread the bad word about them on the internet, they shrugged it off and laughed.
This place has moved locations about 5 times in the last 6 years. There's a reason why their prices are so much cheaper than everyone elses. You get what you pay for. They're the McDonald's of engine builders.
I dunno, most stories I hear that begin with "My friend bought a" . "My uncle made a" .. "My dad got drunk and".. are usually tall tales. In this case I'm not sayin none of it happened but I personally have a hard time believing some of that.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:07 PM

Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Re: Speed-o-Motive Sucks!

Originally posted by Soulrev
I dunno, most stories I hear that begin with "My friend bought a" . "My uncle made a" .. "My dad got drunk and".. are usually tall tales. In this case I'm not sayin none of it happened but I personally have a hard time believing some of that.
I happen to know Dyno Don personally and you better believe that he is not making any of this up.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73
All of it is true, but if you want to gamble, be my guest.
You could be their next sucker!!! Is a few pennies worth it?
Old 09-24-2002, 12:29 AM

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: Built 383, Vortech SC
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana 44, True Trac, 3.54
I also know Don and have the highest regard for his knowledge of the auto aftermarket industry. Especially here in California. He has many, many years of experience as a shop owner and drag racer. Hes seen it all and heard it all. Shop around a little more. It might be worth your while.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:31 PM

Ok but that still doesn't explain the claim that they use cheap parts. According to their parts lists, I don't see any no-namers. All the parts I see are brand name, except one or two. As an example, Federal Mogul, Fel-Pro, Crane, Edelbrock.. If they're using different parts from what they advertise, then there's grounds for a law suit. After hearing a few people b!tch and complain about these guys I highly doubt I'll do any business with them, but what I don't understand is why are there so many people saying they're great?
Old 09-24-2002, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by chevy350
i dunno, i checked the site out. They seem to be good people, especially judging from the pictures and knowing what kind of racers they supply.
Maybe it's one of those things like:

When you walk in to McDonald's, you see that big picture of a Big Mac, it's so neat and tasty looking, so you order it.. You sit down, eat a couple french fries, and open your little box of joy and expect a flash of golden light and Jesus Christ to come invite you into his Kingdom. Then, suddenly a darkness envelops you. You look at this pile of saucy lettuce **** and a raging fury tears through your very heart. You attempt to eat what appealed to you in a picture, and then find out it was only good for a pair of dirty hands.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 6.3L Victor EFI
Transmission: Tremec TKO 600
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"/4.11 Trac-Lok
And the next thing you know you are addicted the the "special sauce" & you crave one of those nasty bitches in the middle of the night.
Old 09-28-2002, 11:38 AM

Well perhaps you were right. I e-mailed some guy that handles their questions & comments from the website named Mike Ostling, with questions about the 350 Street Warrior engine. I asked him some simple questions about ugrades for that motor, got a reply, asked more questions pertaining to his reply, and got another reply, which he was rather rude in. He threw in at the end "All of these questions could have been answered in one phone call" ok well tough ****, it's your job to answer my questions too so if you don't like it go to hell. Granted this is just some ******* that works for them, I still don't think I'll do business with them after hearing everyone's opinions. Besides if it's true it takes forever for them to build engines I can't wait that long.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:26 PM

Car: DAF
Engine: 3 cyl 2 cycle
Transmission: variable speed
parts in boxes VS machine worked parts

A part in a box with a name...any name is a comodity.

For example....a timing chain set. Cloyes, Federal Mogul...... names you know. Avon, Melling, Elgin....maybe names you dont know.

All quality parts ..sold by different dealers at different prices. Some cheaper than others.

A manufacturing defect is rare....the dealer doesnt open the boxes, so they dont have a hand in the quality/fitment of the part. price is the only variable.

Machine work.......this is dependant on the skill and integrity of the shop. In this case you cannot get Champagne for the price of beer. No way no how. Quality work held to tolerances takes time (labor) and decent machinery.

In the case of Speed-o-motive...it was well put in an above post .........the McDonalds of the industry. Buy all the parts you want from them as they might b cheaper...just compare apples to apples with branding....but machine work???? Thats a whole nuther story. You should check every machined part....mag and dimensionally for a start...that comes from them.

Get the picture?
Old 11-20-2002, 05:07 PM

You'd be suprised how much factory defects there are in parts.. We get at least 3 defective returns a day at the parts store I work at.. Almost never any defect Fel-Pro, extremely rare for any Moog defects, but the rest is where it's at.. A1 Cardone, ACDelco, Wagner, Stant, Wix, ProTec, American Driveline, Champion, Belden. Those are the main lines that are more prone to defects.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: was: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: was: L69
Transmission: was: 700-R4
I also now Don personally, and I saw the El Camino (in question) personally. This is not a fable, but true.

As for the brand names they list on the site ... that doesn't mean everytime your order something, it will have brand name parts. They just mean, if you want to use these companies, we also sell there parts, but we use hong kong for the majority of parts when you don't ask for these name brands.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ricktpi
And the next thing you know you are addicted the the "special sauce" & you crave one of those nasty bitches in the middle of the night.
I know! I'm just happy there's a 24 hour McDicks by my house to feed my crack-like Big Mac addiction.