Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Pics of black cars with ghost flames?

Old 06-11-2004, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Pics of black cars with ghost flames?

Anybody have some? I am getting my GTA repainted in the fall and I was wondering what a black car with ghost flames would look like. I have seen a few red and white cars on here with them but never a black one.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

that would defeat the purpose....now if you wanted to do ghost pearl flames that would be different.

ghost anything is essentially just a design that has an extra layer of clear so that it shows up in just the right light which on a black car wouldn't really do so well. you would definately have to throw in another color to get it to be anywhere noticeable.

Old 06-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 Bolt, 3.42
My car is charcoal grey so its pretty close to being black. A silver pearl was added to the grey for the ghost flames and the tips of the flames were highlighted with a purple/silver.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of black cars with ghost flames?-dsc00459.jpg  
Old 06-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Supreme Member

looks nice, yeah your really not going to be able to ghost a black car without a pearl or special mixture....it won't show up.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 84z, 65 elcamino
Engine: l69 and a hyped up sbc in the camino
Transmission: t5 m21
Axle/Gears: 373s 411s
do silver or grey
Old 06-12-2004, 01:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
ghoust flames are just an extra coat of clear...I didnt know that!!! hmmm I always though it was somethin more complex then that...
Old 06-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28
Engine: 335 TPI Stroker
Transmission: Tremec TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt / 3.42
Nope, ghost flames aren't just an extra coat of clear, they are usually a Pearl paint. Pearl, mystic style aka chrome-allusion, and candy paints are the only paints that will change as different angles of light hit them (as far as I know.) Any other color (like a metallic, or slightly different shade than the rest of the car) will just show up all the time, and won't hide or have a "ghost" effect.

Mine are white pearl, with gold pearl on the tips, and the bowtie on the cowl is done in gold pearl. It was painted on fairly heavy, because I wanted them to be visible as I was driving the car....instead of only when its parked.

Notice in this picture how much the flames stand out-

But yet in this picture they are hiding pretty well-
Old 06-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by TunedPort 335
Nope, ghost flames aren't just an extra coat of clear, they are usually a Pearl paint but when diluted in a clear come out like yours which can be a really sharp idea. Pearl, mystic style aka chrome-allusion, and candy paints are the only paints that will change as different angles of light hit them (as far as I know.) Any other color (like a metallic, or slightly different shade than the rest of the car) will just show up all the time, and won't hide or have a "ghost" effect.

Mine are white pearl, with gold pearl on the tips, and the bowtie on the cowl is done in gold pearl. It was painted on fairly heavy, because I wanted them to be visible as I was driving the car....instead of only when its parked.

Notice in this picture how much the flames stand out-

But yet in this picture they are hiding pretty well-
to ghost anything is to make it only appear at certain angles where as yours only disappear at slight angles. you have pearl flames which is what pearl does...... you may consider them ghost becuase they fade away at an angle which is fine but which technically could be a variation but it isn't really what "ghost" designs are meant to be. if you want a ghost image to show up more like your design you put metallics or pearls into it. pearl is the more popular choice because it will fade unlike metallic which will always be there. if you really intended to do a ghost a design you would want it to show up at very few times unlike your own design which hides very few times where as you can clearly see you have flames.

personally i would rather have a peal like your flames so it hides only on certain angles. looks much nicer then a solid flame design in my opinion.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:53 PM

Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 350 sbc
Transmission: T-56
thats something i was going to do to my car. a nice dark deep gloss black with black cherry red flames. from far away or in shadows the car will look completely black but in direct light it will show the red. which i guess would be sort of ghost like.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28
Engine: 335 TPI Stroker
Transmission: Tremec TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt / 3.42
Originally posted by Kandied91z
to ghost anything is to make it only appear at certain angles where as yours only disappear at slight angles. you have pearl flames which is what pearl does...... you may consider them ghost becuase they fade away at an angle which is fine but which technically could be a variation but it isn't really what "ghost" designs are meant to be. if you want a ghost image to show up more like your design you put metallics or pearls into it. pearl is the more popular choice because it will fade unlike metallic which will always be there. if you really intended to do a ghost a design you would want it to show up at very few times unlike your own design which hides very few times where as you can clearly see you have flames.

personally i would rather have a peal like your flames so it hides only on certain angles. looks much nicer then a solid flame design in my opinion.
Ahhh I see what you are saying now. Before, I thought you meant that the ghost pattern was just an extra layer of clear.