Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Painting window louvers

Old 06-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: SBC 400
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77
Painting window louvers

I just got a set of rear window louvers and wanted to paint them. They aren't too bad but some of the slats are faded. How do I go about prepping them? I know the middle slats are aluminum. Do I need a special primer or paint? I read primer for steel isn't good for the aluminum. Also how do I go about painting the plastic sides? Would I need to sand them a bit before primer or just primer them? Do I need a flexable primer and paint for the plastic? I read not to use enamal paint, what type should I use? Lastly should I paint them a satin black or gloss and use clear coat? I'm not painting them flat.

Any help would be apprciated...and before you tell me to throw them in the garbage, I'm not
Old 06-28-2005, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 94 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: GU5 3.23
SEM rattle can paint. It's not flat flat but its not glossy either. Hard to explain, but a very professional look.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 AM
Supreme Member

thanks, can I get this at like Autozone or Murrays? What about primer though?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Trans/am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 drum WS6
They sell primer rattlecans! Get either a black one or a gray one. I would suggest, in order to even it out, that you paint it more heavily on the spots that are faded and not even. If you want them looking even, paint about 4-6 coats on top of the primer, and a sealer. usually trunk clear sealing coats work good.
This is all rattle cans and you can do it in no time.

I want louvers.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, I've begun to strip the old paint off of the aluminum slats. I don't know if this was really necessary, but I figured I'd go to the metal anyway just because I always hear that the paint looks only as good as how you prep it.
After I get the paint stripped should I go over the metal with something like Prep Sol before I primer it? Also after primering do I have to go over the primer with a solvent prior to painting it as well? What about the plastic parts? Should I sand them a little bit or can I just primer over it? Also will the same primer I use for the metal work on the plastic or do I have to get a different kind. I still don't know what kind of paint to use. It's almost as if the stuff on the slats isn't paint, but some kind of black bumper coating... When I first got them I put a product on it called "back to black" It made them look really good, except the faded oxidized slats. I don't think this product is safe to put on paint so that is why I'm wondering what to use. I saw some bumper coating in the paint section where I got the primer. Not ever sure if that is really what was on the louvers originally. I know that flat black is a PITA to clean so I'm not going that route. I don't know if gloss balck would look right either. Is the rattle can clear coat good? I've heard it yellows over time. I just want the finish on the louvers to last a long time. Thanks again for the help
Old 06-28-2005, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
there is a camaro around here where i live that is green that has the rear louvers painted the color of the car. Although i'm not a huge fan of the louvers i will admit that i really like the way that this car looks since its so different. let us know how the louvers turn out.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88' Iroc-Z
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I like them painted body color personally but the 2 cars of mine that have louvers
Attached Thumbnails Painting window louvers-damnshefly.jpg  
Old 06-29-2005, 12:36 AM

Car: 94 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: GU5 3.23
Hey bud!

It is always a wise idea to use a solvent (regular paint thinner should do it) to remove all fingerprints, grease, dirt, and grime before you prime it. Once primed, it wont be necessary to really use a solvent again, unless of course you just want to strip the primer, which you wouldnt.

As far as the plastics go, I think it depends on the paint you use whether or not you should sand. If you are going to sand them, use a VERY fine grit just to rough them up the slightest bit, because you want a surface that the paint can adhere to.

All in all, just make sure you don't jump into anything you're not absolutely sure about. Verify with people who would have a better idea about certain plastics and whatnot. Certainly make sure you post pictures of them once they're done!
Old 07-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Supreme Member

I used some aircraft stripper to remove all the paint from the aluminum section. Sanding was a PITA and I didn't want to scratch the aluminum to bad. That stuff worked pretty good, but it was messy. Word of advice, don't get it on your skin...it's like acid and it burns

Anyway, I just masked off the plastic ends becasue I figured the stripper would ruin it. I then lightly sanded it the metal one last time. I sanded the plastic with 1500 grit sand paper, washed it again, and then used some Prep Sol as a final wash. Put on a coat of primer, then wetsanded. Washed it again and put another coat of primer and did a final sand with 1500 grit. Cleaned all of the dust off and put on a coat of semi gloss black. This is the stage I'm at now. I'll probably wet sand it with 1500 and put on a final coat and wetsand with 2000. It looks pretty good so far. I took some pics I was going to post but couldn't find the cable to connect my camera to the PC. I'll post them up when I find it. Anyway, does this paint procedure sound ok?? This is the first time I've really painted something that I want to look good
Old 07-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Supreme Member

Well, I just got the louvers done today. I put on a few coats of semi gloss black, but I just couldn't get the finish right. I went and got some flexable bumper coating at put that on as a final coat. Man, the difference is amazing They look like they are brand new! I'll have to get some pics when I get my digital camera cable.