Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Dirt track(circle track) nose on drag car???

Old 01-20-2004, 08:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: Carbed L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Dirt track(circle track) nose on drag car???

Has anyone put a dirt track nose on a camaro and run it at the dragstrip?

I just bought a camaro that will be strictly a drag car. I plan getting the race weight down to 2600-2800 lbs.

It is already gutted and will have plexglass windows. I want to put a dirt track nose on the front to lighted the front up.

Anyone done this or know where I can get the parts from?

thanks.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Trans am
i dont know what a dirt track nose it but i know where you can get fiberglass parts for the car , your can even get a whole fiberglass body . www.vfnfiberglass.com
Old 01-20-2004, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

This is what I am talking about. J R Motorsports is the only place I have found them.

It wont have the lights or reinforcement bar. Just a light aluminum frame to hold it in place. Should lighted the front up.

https://asp1.secure-shopping.com/jrm...=1209008&path=

Last edited by bluegrassz; 01-20-2004 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:03 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro, 2008 600RR
Engine: 311
Transmission: T-10
Axle/Gears: 02 SS Rear with 3.23 Gears
I ACTUALLY WAS THINKING OF DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS TOO FOR AERODYNAMICS IN THE FRONT AND THE REAR(EX STOCK CAR GUY- SORRY) HERE THE LINK.....

AND THE REAR
Old 01-20-2004, 02:10 PM

and thinking of this kind of subject, i was thinking of finding a totaled or a rust shell to possibly build a road race car and use 5-stars body to do it, it would have to weigh almost nothing.(just a thought, please don't shoot the wondering mind.hehe) thanks.
that nose might hurt your traction in the long run because from experience, most of these noses are produced to provide more downforce on the front end. i might be wrong, i'm not a huge drag racer i don't know if it would hurt you or not.

about the gt-1 car
http://www.fivestarbodies.com/cgi/ca...&custid=108390
Old 01-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by AFTERMIDNIGHT
I ACTUALLY WAS THINKING OF DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS TOO FOR AERODYNAMICS IN THE FRONT AND THE REAR(EX STOCK CAR GUY- SORRY) HERE THE LINK.....

AND THE REAR
Yeah, I checked them out. I think it would be alot lighter nose than the stock one. The car I am building will be trailered to the track so it would be perfect.

Has anyone done this on here before?
Old 01-20-2004, 02:20 PM

sorry, screwed up links.

gt-1....
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\o51924\My Documents\My Pictures\raceiroc.jpg[/IMG]

front nose...
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\o51924\My Documents\My Pictures\maronose5.jpg[/IMG]

rear bumper...
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\o51924\My Documents\My Pictures\rearmaro5.jpg[/IMG]

hope it works..... sorry all
Old 01-20-2004, 02:33 PM

the way i did it on my late model was making an aluminum frame on the fenders in the front(used original holes) and riveted the 5star nose to it so i could still remove it to change the oil filters in the nose. they look sweet after they're done. good luck man.....patrick
Old 01-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by AFTERMIDNIGHT
the way i did it on my late model was making an aluminum frame on the fenders in the front(used original holes) and riveted the 5star nose to it so i could still remove it to change the oil filters in the nose. they look sweet after they're done. good luck man.....patrick
Thanks. That was what I kinda had in mind also.

As far as too much down force, that would only be at higher speeds. Should not have a problem off the line. Besides, It should help in the areodinamics <--spelling.

thanks for the link.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:18 AM

cool, good luck, definantly post pics when you get it done....
Old 01-21-2004, 09:31 AM
Banned

Car: Trans am
that dirt nose would be sweet , get that .
Old 01-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah, I need to post pics of the car. It will be work in progress.

I plan on racing my blue car this season, but will be working on the 85 as money and time permits.

I just ran across a pro stock 2 piece hood and scoop that I can get a great deal on.

Just a little time, money and elbow grease and it will come together.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:11 AM

Car: 91RS
Engine: 305tbi
Transmission: 700R4
AFTERMIDNIGHT
You cannot host pictures from your hard drive, they need to be on a website, it should look like (www.mypictures.com/rearbumper.jpg) for example. Or use the attachment option when you post.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I considered a dirt track nose for my track car. The sport im involved with has a high possibility of crashing, so I wanted something that would be able to handle the abuse of tapping the wall every once in a while and not cost an arm and a leg to fix. My plan was to get the dirt nose, weld my own front supports, and then rivet the nose on. that way if I crashed, the dirt nose would just pop out and all I would have to do to fix it (at a later date) would be re-do the supports. Problem is, I dont have a trailer yet, so the car will be driven to the track for the time being. Because of this I have opted for a regular front clip (with lights so its street legal hehe). But as soon as I get the trailer done and this car goes full track, you can expect to see a dirt track nose on my car. I'll get you the info for a company that sells the dirt track clip when I get home ...

Anyone know where to get the dirt track hoods?? or fenders??
Old 01-22-2004, 03:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Here's the website I was looking at:

http://www.performancebodies.com/200...amarodirt.html

Same nose as that other website. Man I know I can make my own front support for under $100 ...
Old 01-22-2004, 07:07 AM

thanks pyro.......
Old 01-22-2004, 07:45 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
I considered a dirt track nose for my track car. The sport im involved with has a high possibility of crashing, so I wanted something that would be able to handle the abuse of tapping the wall every once in a while and not cost an arm and a leg to fix. My plan was to get the dirt nose, weld my own front supports, and then rivet the nose on. that way if I crashed, the dirt nose would just pop out and all I would have to do to fix it (at a later date) would be re-do the supports. Problem is, I dont have a trailer yet, so the car will be driven to the track for the time being. Because of this I have opted for a regular front clip (with lights so its street legal hehe). But as soon as I get the trailer done and this car goes full track, you can expect to see a dirt track nose on my car. I'll get you the info for a company that sells the dirt track clip when I get home ...

Anyone know where to get the dirt track hoods?? or fenders??
Thanks for the link.

Yeah, it will be easy to fix or replace the dirt track nose. The stock lights and nose just seem so heavy.

You may have a hard time finding the hood and fenders to match the iroc nose. Most have custom made hoods and fenders.

good luck with the build. I will post pics also when I get mine done also.

later.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:57 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
I take it none of you guys have ever paid attention to how these nose cones look when they're installed on any of the cars montes, malibus, grad prix, camaros, etc...These were and never were designed in any way shape or form to match up with any existing body lines at all. They are just what they look like a basic rectangle peice that gets thrown in the trash at the end of the night. I'm not trying to flame anybody, just be warned if you dont already know what these things actually look like installed-aka no lines line up or come even close.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by IHI
I take it none of you guys have ever paid attention to how these nose cones look when they're installed on any of the cars montes, malibus, grad prix, camaros, etc...These were and never were designed in any way shape or form to match up with any existing body lines at all. They are just what they look like a basic rectangle peice that gets thrown in the trash at the end of the night. I'm not trying to flame anybody, just be warned if you dont already know what these things actually look like installed-aka no lines line up or come even close.
Thanks for the input. I have a few local people that run the iroc nose on there dirt track cars. I will go check them out and see for myself.

thanks.

oh yeah, this will be a track only car that might only see primer, so if it is even close to working it will be worth it to me. If it will look like total ***, then I will go with the stock nose and no lights.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
what, you can't make enough power to propel a 3200 lbs car into the single digits? i think that what your thinking of doing would only make the car look like those "bondo buggies" that i see here in GA. don't be one of "those" guys. the money you spend on lightening the car could go int the drivetrain to make it just as fast. then you have respect too. i can't think of anything cooler then a car with working window, doors, lights, wipers, DOT approved tires going through mufflers running 9's, or 8's. it is possible, and with the amount of stuff available, you can do it without a whole lot of money. but i am not going to be able to change your mind on it. do it if you want, but i just think that the car will look like crap.

*thinks to self*
why is is that people think "track only" cars can be rusted out pieces of crap? don't they have more pride than that? things that make you say
Old 01-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by mw66nova
what, you can't make enough power to propel a 3200 lbs car into the single digits? i think that what your thinking of doing would only make the car look like those "bondo buggies" that i see here in GA. don't be one of "those" guys. the money you spend on lightening the car could go int the drivetrain to make it just as fast. then you have respect too. i can't think of anything cooler then a car with working window, doors, lights, wipers, DOT approved tires going through mufflers running 9's, or 8's. it is possible, and with the amount of stuff available, you can do it without a whole lot of money. but i am not going to be able to change your mind on it. do it if you want, but i just think that the car will look like crap.

*thinks to self*
why is is that people think "track only" cars can be rusted out pieces of crap? don't they have more pride than that? things that make you say
Well, first off the car is already stripped. It dosent have a nose of it at all. And the car is already lighter than 3200 lbs. The doors have already been gutted and nothing is left under the hood.

This is how I bought the car. Just a rolling body.

Trust me, when I get done it will all be in good taste. It will still look like a camaro.

I already have a 3200 Lbs car that I race. I want to try a low weight car with a mild motor for now. Just to see what kind of times I can get. Whats wrong with that. I will have the best of both worlds. A good looking-running street car and a strip only car that will look just fine when Im done with it. Im not a rookie, I have been around a body shop for over 15 years.

And who said it was a rusted out piece of crap?

Also about the money I would spend. I wont be replacing anything, just putting on what it need. Like plexiglass windows, which I can make look fine. I mean, why put a heavy stock nose on when the dirt track nose will be fine and do the same purpose.

Everyone is welcome to there own opinion. Why pass judgement on the idea untill you have seen it. Have you even clicked on the links above to see what the nose even looks like. With paint and the headlight stickers, it would look like a one piece fiberglass front end that many people run.

I will post pics of it when I am done, and then you can decide it it looks like *** or not. Fair enough.

Last edited by bluegrassz; 01-22-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

i clicked on all the links above, my statement was NOT made out of ignorance. i was curious about it too as i would like to shed some weight. however, i want to retain ALL of my streetablilty! i really don't think that saying you have been around a body shop for 15 years has any relevance. i have been around the street legal racing scene for just about all my life. been interested in it since i was very young. i always thought it would be cooler to have a low 11 second car that i could drive to work every day than to have a 6 second car that can't be driven to the staging lanes without problems.

point is, i don't like "drag specific" cars. if your going to bracket race this car....then whatever, but don't come around the NSCA or PRO expecting to race it with the big boys. (not that you would)

you can bring your "street" car thouh

don't want to sound like such an elitist but i get tired of seeing these conjured together "cars".
Old 01-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

Well thats just the thing, this is not a street car!

As far as the 15 years of experience, yes it is relevant, as far as the fit and look of the nose. How do you know what my abilities are? I may be able to make the piece look stock. I didnt say that the nose would not be modified.

Im just saying that I think I can make the nose look fine for a (strictly bracket racing) camaro.

Hey, I have respect for the guys that have full interior, a/c, street tires, and in full trim. Driven to the track and run 11 sec or less.
I give them there props.

I just got a good deal on the car, which had too much missing to make it back into a street legal car. It still has a good solid body to build from. I dont need 2 street cars. I figured I could have the best of both worlds. Whats wrong with that.

I will still be modding my street car. Which will be just what you are talking about. Down in the 12 to 11 sec range with power windows and sound system. Driven to the track on pump gas.

And if you look at "most" serious bracket racers, then you will see there cars have the least they can get by with in weight.

Last edited by bluegrassz; 01-22-2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

alright dude....*waits for pics*
Old 01-22-2004, 12:59 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
Bluegrass if you have body skills you might just make the nose cone happen. Without seeing this exact unit, just referring back to the other models, I'm sure the dirt track nose cone would almost slide over the factory front clip if it was still there, they are usually that big and nasty. But, if you have the resources the nose cone would give you a generic base to start out with and modify accordingly.
BUT...depending if you can find a good donor from a bone yard I personally think your time and money-especially time will be better spent getting a factory front clip, gutting that and making a thin wall tubing skeleton, just to help it maintain shape on the big end. I've seen a few examples on this board already, cant remember exact weight savings-50lbs? but dont quote me. When I had the bird gutted that was a project on the to-do list that never was done, so now I have to build a bigger motor to compensate. This is one spot on our cars-even completely gutted there they're still heavy, but every little bit helps.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Supreme Member

IHI,

I hope to get to see one of the dirt track noses at one of the local shops. This will make up my mind which way to go and see how much time it would involve.

If I cant get it to look the way I wont then I will scrap the project. I do know that the iroc nose comes in 2 section, so I should be able to trim and if needed narrow it.

I have already been involved with doing this with a 2nd gen nose on a 78 camaro. It turned out great. I have high hopes in doing this on the 85.

I will post pics as soon as I get started. Should be between now and spring.

thanks.