Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

91 rs, convertible top switch doesnt work?

Old 04-18-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 rs, convertible top switch doesnt work?

hey all,

had a green 91 camaro rs vert come in today at work. we were really jamming so I only got a few minutes to putz with it, the car will be coming back on sunday. Theres a switch in the center console, between the 2 window switches, for the top. I dont know if the car is a full power top, or the switch just pops the top out so you can lift in manually, she didnt give me a very good description of how it operated when it did work, but she told me it did up until last fall. im not personally familiar with the convertible top system in a thirdgen, as I have never owned one nor known anyone who has. heck, ive maybe only seen a handful in my life.

I checked the fuses, nothings blown. I took the shifter plate off the console, and pulled the 2 wire leads off the bottom of the switch and jumped them with a paper clip. You can hear a clicking coming from down beneath the console, but nothing happens with the top. I hooked the switch back up, and with the lid off you can still hear the clicking when you hit the switch, sounds like a relay down in there somewhere.

so where im at right now, the switch is good, and its getting power at the switch. so the relay must be bad, or whatever actuater is in the back there must be bad. I guess basically what im asking, is for some background information about this power top system from someone who is a little more familiar with it.

how does the system work? im picturing 12 volts jumped at the switch trips a relay which trips a motor or actuator of some sort. am I close? where is this actuator located? I guess when it comes back on sunday im gonna try to remove some of the interior panels in the rear and look for some kind of motor, and when I find it see what happens when I jump it straight to the battery. any advice or information I can get is GREATLY appreciated, and will help me get to the bottom of this faster. thank you!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPD
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear
Re: 91 rs, convertible top switch doesnt work?

I have a 91 TA and there was no power option for the Pontiacs. We have an actuator switch mounted on the plastic toneau cover on the driver's side at the rear seat. If the wiring is the same and Camaros also are manual tops, the console switch is probably the same as my toneau cover switch. It activates a relay and sends power to right and left solenoids behind the rear seat speaker panels that release the toneau so the top can be stored or put back up manually.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

There is no power top on a 3rd gen.They are all manual.The switch in the center console is used to release the tonneau cover
Old 04-20-2008, 04:10 PM

Car: 2008 Silverado, 73 LeMans, 1987 GTA
Engine: 4.8, 350 Pontiac, 350 LT1
Transmission: 4L65E, TH350, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 2.73, 3.42

I had a similar problem with my car. Does the power pulldown for the hatch work? What happens is, there is a safety switch with a relay back at the hatch motor. If that switch or relay is bad, then you may still hear clicking, but not at the solenoids behind the backseat interior panels.

Try jumping the motors themselves with a lead from the battery. If they work, then the problem is most likely in the trunk. Also, it could be possible that the wiring for the motors themselves is disrupted, it runs along the pass. side if i remember, under the carpet.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1995 Formula
Engine: LT1 350
Transmission: Built 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, Eaton posi, 3.73's

When my power window switch on the right side stopped working, I took it out and carefully took it apart and cleaned it.

It worked great after that.

Maybe the switch just needs to be cleaned, and it is probably the trunk/hatch release switch, if it is between the two window switches.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:16 PM

Car: 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Another dead end tread with no follow up!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 PM

Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: TBI 305 5.0 V8

Originally Posted by 72vega
I had a similar problem with my car. Does the power pulldown for the hatch work? What happens is, there is a safety switch with a relay back at the hatch motor. If that switch or relay is bad, then you may still hear clicking, but not at the solenoids behind the backseat interior panels.

Try jumping the motors themselves with a lead from the battery. If they work, then the problem is most likely in the trunk. Also, it could be possible that the wiring for the motors themselves is disrupted, it runs along the pass. side if i remember, under the carpet.

I have a 91 Camaro vert i'm having the same problem before i buy solenoids i wanted to know where the safty switch for the pulldown motor?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: L03, Chip, Magna, Hi-flo cats
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I would check the emergency brake switch. If the emergency brake switch is not activated, the tonneau will not operate.