Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

POR15 over Rust convertor?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2011 Cummins HO
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.43
POR15 over Rust convertor?

Did anyone try painting POR15 over the top of Eastwoods Rust Convertor?

I know you are supposed to only apply POR to bare or rusty metal, just wondering if anyone had done this and what the results were like?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:42 AM

Car: 92' firebird
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt POSI 3.73's
Re: POR15 over Rust convertor?

I was thinking this same thing but only about rust bullet and rust converter.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:13 AM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5

I did this with SEM rust shield and their rust mort product worked geat used 2 coats of converter left over knight and then the rust shield.Also do the rust conv. with any rusty autobody repair because u never get all the rust out of the pores of the metal u grind and sand. 2 coats of conv. scuff then use self etching primer.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want to do this? POR-15 is a rust preventative/encapsulator. In order to work it has to be applied to bare or rusted metal. Applying a rust converter first is just a waste of money no matter how you look at it.

Mathius
Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 84 camaro, 88 trans am, 98 camaro
Engine: Modded , stock, LSX modded
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, t-56
Axle/Gears: 327, 308, 373

nothing like a peace of mind. . .
Old 01-31-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 84 Trans AM (sold), 87 IROC, 09 C6
Engine: Lt1 in IROC
Transmission: 5 speeds
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt tru tracker 3.42

i tried some port 15 over black spray primer.....looked fine until i had to drill some holes through it....the por 15 peeled right up....removing the primer with it....since then, por 15 goes down without anything under it.....works great on freshly sandblasted metal....
Old 02-01-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mathius
Why would you want to do this? POR-15 is a rust preventative/encapsulator. In order to work it has to be applied to bare or rusted metal. Applying a rust converter first is just a waste of money no matter how you look at it.

Mathius
Good question...

A couple of reasons really - first, Ilike the ease of application of Eastwoods rust convertor, just remove loose rust and apply.. I can also get it in a spray for hard to reach areas. I also like the durability and self levelling ability of POR (it seems much more durable than Eastwood's encapsulator.

Secondly, I have already painted most of my engine bay with rust convertor but have since decided to use POR throughout the underside and entire engine bay. If good results could be had without resorting to sand blasting my whole engine bay again then that would be sweet!

I just hate doing the whole Marine clean/Metal ready and rinse with water part of the POR application.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ricco
Good question...

A couple of reasons really - first, Ilike the ease of application of Eastwoods rust convertor, just remove loose rust and apply.. I can also get it in a spray for hard to reach areas. I also like the durability and self levelling ability of POR (it seems much more durable than Eastwood's encapsulator.

Secondly, I have already painted most of my engine bay with rust convertor but have since decided to use POR throughout the underside and entire engine bay. If good results could be had without resorting to sand blasting my whole engine bay again then that would be sweet!

I just hate doing the whole Marine clean/Metal ready and rinse with water part of the POR application.
Incidentally, (just for grins) I applied some POR over the rust convertor on the lower radiator mount.. Seems to have had a VERY good bond, sand blasting it off wasnt as hard as blasting regular POR but it was pretty tough nonetheless.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ricco
Good question...

Point is, you might as well just go cheap and paint it. POR15 needs to be applied to bare metal or rusted metal to get its benefits. That's how it works. If you're not going to apply it to bare metal or rusted metal, you're not guaranteed to get the results you're looking for. So why waste your money on POR? Just paint the stuff. POR isn't cheap.

And even if it DOES work, you would get the same results by just applying POR right over the metal without the rust converter. So you still wasted your money on the rust converter.

Mathius
Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mathius
Point is, you might as well just go cheap and paint it. POR15 needs to be applied to bare metal or rusted metal to get its benefits. That's how it works. If you're not going to apply it to bare metal or rusted metal, you're not guaranteed to get the results you're looking for. So why waste your money on POR? Just paint the stuff. POR isn't cheap.

And even if it DOES work, you would get the same results by just applying POR right over the metal without the rust converter. So you still wasted your money on the rust converter.

Mathius
I understand what you are saying, I have read the instructions too..

That is the point of this thread however, to see if anyone has actually tried it and what their results were. Lets face it, POR are hardly likely to say "it will work great over the top of Eastwoods Rust convertor" since that is a direct competitor of their's and could likely lose sales of their Marine Clean and Metal Ready products.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5

U can use the SEM rust mort and then scuff and topcoat with their Rust shield witch is identical to por 15. The purpose of using the very thin rust mort is to get deep into the pores of the rusted area.If I am coating an area(undercaraige) that is bare metal with light surface rust I use just the rust shield(por 15). If u have an area that u are repainting(door jam behind my hinges)My body guy told me to grind and sand all the rust then apply a couple thin coats of converter,scuff,then use Qualiity self etching primer. Then topcoat with sealer,paint and so on.This is to ensure you get all the pores and dont have to repaint in 2 years.These have worked great so far.Sorry for long read.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 PM

Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 350 LT1
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I used POR on my a arms, k frame and spindles after i blasted them. Im very happy with the result. I just used straight up POR, it bonded nice and is STRONG. I also used the chassis black color for my engine bay and turned out very nice. Some good advice, make sure to wear some good gloves unless you want black hands for the next month lol.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by myroc86
I used POR on my a arms, k frame and spindles after i blasted them. Im very happy with the result. I just used straight up POR, it bonded nice and is STRONG. I also used the chassis black color for my engine bay and turned out very nice. Some good advice, make sure to wear some good gloves unless you want black hands for the next month lol.
You have any pics of that engine bay?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:53 PM

Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 350 LT1
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Ill see if i can get some.