Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

New Car Audio system for 85' Z28 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Car Audio system for 85' Z28 Camaro

Hi, I'm 16 and have a 1985 Z28 Chevy Camaro, my first car. This is a project car and has some work to be done on it and it really needs a whole new audio system in it. I have about 300-500 dollars to spend on a stereo system for it. I should probably have some good subs in it since I listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop. Any ideas of what I should do with it? I'm really looking forward to driving this car!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Re: New Car Audio system for 85' Z28 Camaro

300-500 will get you started with a sub and an amp...but that's about it. Personally, I'd spend the $$$ on a deck and four...then add the sub and amp later.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:17 PM

I've put together alot of stereos and installed them in that budget and bought everything from ebay. No problems, installing it yourself is not a problem, just know your positive and negatives and your 12v power wire and you'll be fine.

a deck will run you about $100-140 depending on how detailed you want to get. 2volt preouts vs. 4volts

not sure if you have door speakers, but if you do they are 5.25''. Get some components and mount the tweeter in place of the 4x6 speakers. $50-100. Components will need an amp. If you aren't planning on amping your speakers than just replace what you have with speakers under 40watts rms.

rears: no need for them

2 channel amp: $60-100

mono amp (for sub): get an audiopipe. They are proven to be the best bang for buck amps that put out the rated rms watts. a 400rms one is $110 off ebay. a 1200rms one is $165. Price range isn't that much considering the power increase. How loud of bass is up to personal preference. a single 10'' 400watts rms will sound clean work well with an average stereo. (2) 10''s will shake your car pretty good but your speakers may be drowned out. anything in this type of car would sound good.

sub(s): Phoenix gold RSD10. Phoenix gold has alot of bang for buck products. There component speakers are up there in quality of more expensive stuff and their 10'' subs are able to withstand abuse. if you are going with a 12'' don't get phoenix gold rsd line because there are many problems such as the woofer moving to far out and screwing up internals. but the 10''s are awesome. these 10''s run about $65 shipped each

scenario 1:
$110 deck 2volt preouts
$100 for speakers (replacing front and rear without amping them)
$110 mono amp
$65-$70 10'' sub
$35 wiring kit - KnuKonceptz 4 gauge amp wiring kit
total: $420

scenario 2:
$140 4volt preouts
$80 for speakers (components) & no rears
$70 2 channel amp (for speakers)
$165 for mono amp
$130 for (2) 10'' subs
total: $620

$200 difference but you can crank it up as loud as you want, it'll sound clean and turn heads. The scenario 1 will sound clean have the thump, but will get distorted somewhat at higher volumes. estimates are give or take $30. Prices are for everything shipped

later down the road when you have more money you can get a 4 channel amp. If you are planning on this, than get a 4v preout headunit. This way you won't have to max out your amp setting to get the same signal

Last edited by streetworkxs; 06-21-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:36 PM

I buy alot of refurbished stuff too, it'll save you about $100 in the end. Not bad, often times when stuff is refurbished, the parts that go bad are replaced with better ones. Just take care of your stereo and it'll last a long time. When you hear the speakers distorting turn it down. don't pump too much bass to the speakers (you have subs for the lows). don't turn it up to quick and let the stereo warm up.

Harman audio is a good ebay store and has alot of good deals. Buy stuff through auctions for cheapeast price, or ask a seller to reduce price if you buy multiple items.

Harman Audio LINK

goodluck man

Last edited by streetworkxs; 06-21-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears

Originally Posted by streetworkxs
I've put together alot of stereos and installed them in that budget and bought everything from ebay. No problems, installing it yourself is not a problem, just know your positive and negatives and your 12v power wire and you'll be fine.

a deck will run you about $100-140 depending on how detailed you want to get. 2volt preouts vs. 4volts

not sure if you have door speakers, but if you do they are 5.25''. Get some components and mount the tweeter in place of the 4x6 speakers. $50-100. Components will need an amp. If you aren't planning on amping your speakers than just replace what you have with speakers under 40watts rms.

mono amp (for sub): get an audiopipe. They are proven to be the best bang for buck amps that put out the rated rms watts. a 400rms one is $110 off ebay. a 1200rms one is $165. Price range isn't that much considering the power increase. How loud of bass is up to personal preference. a single 10'' 400watts rms will sound clean work well with an average stereo. (2) 10''s will shake your car pretty good but your speakers may be drowned out. anything in this type of car would sound good.

sub(s): Phoenix gold RSD10. Phoenix gold has alot of bang for buck products. There component speakers are up there in quality of more expensive stuff and their 10'' subs are able to withstand abuse. if you are going with a 12'' don't get phoenix gold rsd line because there are many problems such as the woofer moving to far out and screwing up internals. but the 10''s are awesome. these 10''s run about $65 shipped each

scenario 1:
$110 deck 2volt preouts
$110 mono amp
$65-$70 10'' sub

scenario 2:
$140 4volt preouts
$165 for mono amp
$130 for (2) 10'' subs

$200 difference but you can crank it up as loud as you want, it'll sound clean and turn heads. The scenario 1 will sound clean have the thump, but will get distorted somewhat at higher volumes. estimates are give or take $30. Prices are for everything shipped

later down the road when you have more money you can get a 4 channel amp. If you are planning on this, than get a 4v preout headunit. This way you won't have to max out your amp setting to get the same signal
I've highlighted what stood out as not making sense. Why wouldn't you need them? There is more to sound than tweeters and subs. There is a midrange of sounds in music. Maybe less in rap music, but it does exist. One common problem I've found with stereo installations done by even so called professionals comes down to that problem. Just tweeters and subs are all they care about. Add to that the fact that the subs are often run at power levels that just create distortion and rattle the crap out of the car.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 PM

If you have a good set of components up front than the sound imagining should work well. The woofer down low, and the tweeter higher up with a crossover to separate the frequencies you should get a really good balanced sound in the front. The rear speakers are mostly for the passenger in the back seat, and are 6x9 to replicate lower requencies but often distort easily because of the oval cone. If you want to have good solid bass, then a subwoofer should balance things out well. A set of components in the front and a sub for the rear should give you a realistic, clean sound. Rear speakers are great, but unnecesary if you are on a budget

If you were able to hear the rear fill better than the fronts, then your system is unbalanced. I'd rather have my sound come from infront than behind me
Old 06-21-2010, 07:31 PM

of course, I wouldn't recomend 4x6 speakers and no rears, thatd sound horrible. 4x6 speakers hardly have any midrange, and if you were to do a new stereo, I highly recomend components to give you that full sound, and not just highs and a sub like ws6 was talking about.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:59 AM

I just rewired my infinity 4x6's and they sound perfect. Not sure I would want components up there. Seem to have great balance. Do NOT cut corners and use stock wiring. Use quality 14 or 16 gauge speaker wire. from front plates (or components up front and 6x9 in the rear) it is a PITA, but you will definately be able to hear a difference in using 30 year stock wire. If you can't spring for a small AMP for the rear 6x9 do not underpower them with stock head units, go ahead and run wire to the rear and wait for everything to come together. They will sound like junk unless you run stockish 6x9's which defeats the purpose.

http://www.soundqubed.com/QP-TH25-Su...ir-_p_104.html They ran me $50ish new several years ago and I took them out when I downsized trucks and added a 2 Fosgate T2's in a custom box. Too small of a space, was already running 4 tweeters. Range on them is absolutely to DIE for and they are the BEST tweeters you can buy without breaking the bank.

ALWAYS measure and use the most correct length of RCA's, can't stress that enough. I lost some sound quality in my plate speakers in my single cab truck due to running 25FT RCA's I had left over from previous build.

Going with a light weight 8" or maybe anothe infinity basslink (I love infinity, but I got SCREWED on a basslink once. Brand new, no warranty, run around...gave up when I got hit with 70 hour work weeks)

Weight is a concern as is having a sealed rear mounted battery due to supercharger.

I absolutely agree, quality 6x9 rears are basically a must have as well as running an aftermarket amp. You don't need anything crazy, many older affordable name brand amps pop up on ebay. Most are not abused on mids/highs so they last forever. It can be a pain to wire if you are not used to it, but definately worthwhile, I run infinity kapp 693.9i. They make more expensive 6x9's but these seem to pair perfectly with a 200 watt 2 channel fosgate amp from a previous build. Don't expect much bass out of 4x6 or 6x9's and do not run your head unit on "LOUD" or "BASS BOOST" just add a mild sub. I have run an FI 18" in a 4 door silverado on 3600 watts 3 batteries in series and now my daily is a single cab silverado with 2 12" Fosgate T2's (custom box, removed center seat/console) and I'm more of an SQ guy these days instead of SPL. I thought long and hard about doing component kick panels, but I am already squeezed tight in a 3rd gen at 6'8" barefoot and size 17/18 shoes.

Enough rambling, had a long night of wiring and a few beers.

Last edited by Cameron@LFM; 02-28-2014 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 03-10-2014, 10:05 PM

Car: genesis, equus, f250, camaro, other
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: t5

Originally Posted by 87WS6
I've highlighted what stood out as not making sense. Why wouldn't you need them? There is more to sound than tweeters and subs. There is a midrange of sounds in music. Maybe less in rap music, but it does exist. One common problem I've found with stereo installations done by even so called professionals comes down to that problem. Just tweeters and subs are all they care about. Add to that the fact that the subs are often run at power levels that just create distortion and rattle the crap out of the car.
Running rear speakers ruins the imaging/soundstage. Most professional sq competitors either don't run rears at all, or use only mids in the rear (and even then they are often switched off for comps) that said, if you have a budget of $500, and are using oem mounting locations, an sq comp isnt in your future.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:33 PM

[Just a tip. If it has original stereo keep it id not try and find one now for if you sell the car.QUOTE=KyleDavid13;4584816]Hi, I'm 16 and have a 1985 Z28 Chevy Camaro, my first car. This is a project car and has some work to be done on it and it really needs a whole new audio system in it. I have about 300-500 dollars to spend on a stereo system for it. I should probably have some good subs in it since I listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop. Any ideas of what I should do with it? I'm really looking forward to driving this car![/QUOTE]
Old 06-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

Originally Posted by streetworkxs

scenario 1:
$110 deck 2volt preouts
$110 mono amp
$65-$70 10'' sub

scenario 2:
$140 4volt preouts
$165 for mono amp
$130 for (2) 10'' subs

For subs, look at the Pioneer Champion Pro or JBL GTO. |One 10" sealed or ported should be enough.

Polk DB comps sound nice and good bang for the buck.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 87WS6
If you build a good front stage, you will not want those speakers directly behind your head. They will overpower everything.

You're goal is to have the music sound like the 'concert' is in front of you, and unless you have time alignment and other processors, you're better off not having the rear speakers.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I myself would have to disagree about not using rear speakers. I have Soundstream SST6.9 in the rear. Quality 6x9s do not break up. Cheaper polypropylene cones do. I prefer a "concert hall" sound staging. I don't want it to sound just in front. Rather all around. I like to be immersed in sound. Being a guitarist, I prefer that more.

Rear speakers (to me) are like salt in food. You don't notice it's there unless you remove it. When running a 4 channel amp, it allows the rear to get the lower mid bass between the front mids and the rear sub freqs.

Everyone's ears are different. No one can tell you what works best for you. Only what has worked for them. I like the rear and recommend keeping them.

A good 5 channel amp, decent head unit and 1 or 2 subs in the rear can stay within a $500 budget. Depending on the parts purchased. I recommend Soundstream. But Hifonics is good on a budget too. I have used 2 of them with no problems.

Buggy Disaster can build you a box. I think mine was $150 from him. My Soundstream RW-12 subs sound great in it. Contact him for a box. Just tell him to include the terminal cups installed.

You can do the head unit, sub and amp first and add on later. I would say to get the head unit, speakers and 4 channel amp first and do the subs later.