Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Computer Controlled Carb ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: GM crate motor Goodwrench 5.7 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Computer Controlled Carb ?'s

So I got the Rochester Quad rebuilt around a year ago. One of the guys at the shop suggested i switch to a non-computer controlled carb. I looked at an Edelbrock 1406, but i heard that if i swapped them, i would always have a check engine light on due to the carb not being hooked up to the comp. Is that right?

Also, i looked at getting an MSD ignition control system with the MSD HEI distributor, but my main mechanic was saying that due to the computer controlled carb and dist. it wouldnt work very well if at all on my car.
Has anyone here used a MSD system with the comp controlled carb? or am i SOL without switching to a 1406 or something similar.

I really would love to do the whole MSD setup. Already noticed a performance boost with just the plug wires and want the rest of the deal i just don't have the money to buy a new carb, as well as the MSD stuff.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: Computer Controlled Carb ?'s

Originally Posted by Dabesiv
So I got the Rochester Quad rebuilt around a year ago. One of the guys at the shop suggested i switch to a non-computer controlled carb. I looked at an Edelbrock 1406, but i heard that if i swapped them, i would always have a check engine light on due to the carb not being hooked up to the comp. Is that right?
More or less. Computer control is all or nothing. If you replace the carb you lose computer control of timing too, which means a new distributor. You also lose control of the TCC in an automatic.

An Edelbrock 1406 is a solid downgrade from a Quadrajet anyway.

Also, i looked at getting an MSD ignition control system with the MSD HEI distributor, but my main mechanic was saying that due to the computer controlled carb and dist. it wouldnt work very well if at all on my car.
Has anyone here used a MSD system with the comp controlled carb? or am i SOL without switching to a 1406 or something similar.

I really would love to do the whole MSD setup. Already noticed a performance boost with just the plug wires and want the rest of the deal i just don't have the money to buy a new carb, as well as the MSD stuff.
An MSD would work just fine, but it won't offer you any benefit on your current engine.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
One of the guys at the shop suggested i switch to a non-computer controlled carb.
Don't listen to him. You already have the best street performance carb ever built.
i just don't have the money to buy a new carb, as well as the MSD stuff.
Good thing.

The primary weaknesses of the factory computer system were the ignition control module and the coil. I ran an Accel 7-pin module and Super Coil for 11 years without a hiccup. I'd still be running them if I hadn't swapped to an LS1 engine.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: GM crate motor Goodwrench 5.7 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I know the Roch Quad is a great carb when its tuned right. I had gotten into arguments with co workers over that plenty of times haha. Im happy i kept it. How would the MSD not help at all with my engine?
So i guess the question now is whether or not there is anything i can do to my carb or distributor to improve performance? i know this is not the right section for that, but i might as well ask
Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

All that the ignition system does, is start the fire in the cyl.

So think about that for a minute... you got a fireplace? Ever had one? or a campfire, trash fire in your fields, etc.? Did the brand of match you lit it with, have much to do with how much heat the fire made?

Same deal here. If your stock stuff works, replacing it will accomplish exactly NOTHING. (people's "I put one on and the blah blah blah is better more blah blah" notwithstanding .... see this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance for a description of the phenomenon that causes this behavior) If your stock stuff DOESN'T work, then just replacing it with stock stuff that DOES work will make it work jsut as good as $$$$aftermarket ignition boxes$$$$ will, at a fraction of the cost. Keep your money in your pocket.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 07-18-2011 at 11:38 AM.