Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

88 Chevy 305 TBI conversion to Carb.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GMC Sierra
Engine: 305
Transmission: Stock
88 Chevy 305 TBI conversion to Carb.

Hey folks, im new here to the forum, i understand this is a Camaro/Firebird/Etc. Forum but i've read a few posts and u guys seem to know what ur talking about...

Anyhow, I need some help fellas, I have a '88 Gmc Sierra 1500 SLE w/ stock GM Chevy 305, and for the past 2 days I've been debating on switching it from TBI to Carburated. Only problem is I barely know where to start...

I have viewed several posts on here about TBI to Carb. Conversions but would really like to have some info guided directly to me instead of having to look around all day long, lol...

So my basic question is:
  • What is the CHEAPEST yet EFFICIENT way to convert from TBI to Carburated????
Not gonna lie, I am on a tight budget considering I just started a new job 2 weeks ago after bein laid off for a year an i just want the best yet cheapest way to convert this without spending TOO much time on it..

and thats it folks, lookin forward to hearing from u all and im happy to be here.

THANKS!!!

Chris
Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: 88 Chevy 305 TBI conversion to Carb.

Tight budget doesn't cut it - it's a $1000 job unless you are good at trading parts and getting deals on used stuff.

You need:

Carb $250+
intake $250
distributor $125+
TV cable geometry corrector $20
throttle brackets $30+
RETURN-STYLE fuel pressure regulator $100
Method to lock TC $100+

That's $1000+ with the misc junk that it'll take (like hose barbs, rubber fuel line, fuel pressure guage, etc. So ... besides the fact that it's not legal, it's not for a light wallet. And to top it all off, it'll take you at least a week to work out the bugs, even if you don't work a 40hr week. And in the end, you'll gain nothing, but you will lose serious mpg and cruise control functions.

I'd seriously reconsider.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
Tight budget doesn't cut it - it's a $1000 job unless you are good at trading parts and getting deals on used stuff.

You need:

Carb $250+
intake $250
distributor $125+
TV cable geometry corrector $20
throttle brackets $30+
RETURN-STYLE fuel pressure regulator $100
Method to lock TC $100+

That's $1000+ with the misc junk that it'll take (like hose barbs, rubber fuel line, fuel pressure guage, etc. So ... besides the fact that it's not legal, it's not for a light wallet. And to top it all off, it'll take you at least a week to work out the bugs, even if you don't work a 40hr week. And in the end, you'll gain nothing, but you will lose serious mpg and cruise control functions.

I'd seriously reconsider.
I mean, i kinda figured that, im workin w/$700 alone for the engine so far, and meant i dont wanna spend like a month without a ride, i can deal with a week or two worth of work with it...

and i have come across some deals so far but havent acted upon them, though i should..

an i know this may sound dumb to some (or all) but reason behind wanted it switched to Carb is I wanna put this on:
http://www-b.jcwhitney.com/hood-scoo...wx?filterid=j1

a Finned Street Scoop, if i could make it fit my TBI i would just buy it an be done with it, but im doin whatever it takes so far. I've already got $800 in my interior and another $1000 on the exterior and so the engine an trans is next..
Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I'd say just buy the scoop and put it on the TBI.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:04 PM

Would it work through?? I've measured my Throttle body with a tape measurer and its 5 1/8 on inner diameter and bout 5 1/4 on the outer diameter, just not sure if it would work with a throttle body though...

Chris
Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
TBI and the typical aftermarket carb have the same air cleaner mount size.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Hell yeah, thanks man, u just saved me a couple hundred bucks, thats really wut i was wonderin the entire time, if the scoop would fit a TBI but everyone i talked to said no an told me I would have to switch the TBI to Carb...an yet i fell for it, lol

So my final question: What else will I need to mount/install the scoop on my TBI???

Im assuming just an extended throttle cable, but may be more than just that???

Chris
Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 GTA/86 C20 Burb/91 325i
Engine: L98/454/M20
Transmission: 700R4/NV4500/Getrag
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt/3.73 14 Bolt/3.73 IRS

I just got through with the TBI to carb swap on my '90 Suburban last year. I've been extremely pleased, and it only cost about $300 total. I sourced the distributor used off of ebay and the carb as well. $30 carburetor rebuild, and the rest of the cash went into an intake, fuel pressure regulator, and the necessary fittings.

Putting old myths and arguments aside, a carburetor and fuel injection do exactly the same thing, and they give very similar results. IF you know what you are doing with a carburetor (a quadrajet), you can receive the same or better results as a factory TBI setup. That being said, tuning a carburetor properly is an artform, and takes a lot of time and patience. That, and you'll never get the ability of fuel injection and a computer to adapt to its surroundings (pressure, temperature, etc.)

That being said, I chose simplicity (carburetor) over complication. It's not right for everybody, but if you know what you're doing, you can make it worthwhile. The deciding factor for me was the 3rd TBI ignition module in a row that fried. I got tired of getting stranded on the side of the road, put a carb on, and I've been good ever since.

If you're only interested in a carb to mount a scoop on the hood, I'm afraid I can't help you. If you ever start having problems with the TBI, and get tired of constantly replacing over the shelf parts because they aren't any good, I can help you out with a parts list and step-by-step process to make the conversion.

-cal30sniper
Old 09-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by cal30_sniper
I just got through with the TBI to carb swap on my '90 Suburban last year. I've been extremely pleased, and it only cost about $300 total. I sourced the distributor used off of ebay and the carb as well. $30 carburetor rebuild, and the rest of the cash went into an intake, fuel pressure regulator, and the necessary fittings.

Putting old myths and arguments aside, a carburetor and fuel injection do exactly the same thing, and they give very similar results. IF you know what you are doing with a carburetor (a quadrajet), you can receive the same or better results as a factory TBI setup. That being said, tuning a carburetor properly is an artform, and takes a lot of time and patience. That, and you'll never get the ability of fuel injection and a computer to adapt to its surroundings (pressure, temperature, etc.)

That being said, I chose simplicity (carburetor) over complication. It's not right for everybody, but if you know what you're doing, you can make it worthwhile. The deciding factor for me was the 3rd TBI ignition module in a row that fried. I got tired of getting stranded on the side of the road, put a carb on, and I've been good ever since.

If you're only interested in a carb to mount a scoop on the hood, I'm afraid I can't help you. If you ever start having problems with the TBI, and get tired of constantly replacing over the shelf parts because they aren't any good, I can help you out with a parts list and step-by-step process to make the conversion.

-cal30sniper
Hey bud, thanks for the info, i havent really dont much else to it yet....ever since this post went cold i kinda figured i was at a deadend, lol, but i've been lookin at carbs an all still an have found everything i need around $200-$300 price range...
Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 GTA/86 C20 Burb/91 325i
Engine: L98/454/M20
Transmission: 700R4/NV4500/Getrag
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt/3.73 14 Bolt/3.73 IRS

Good deal man. Sorry, it just rubs me wrong when people get gunned down on here for wanting to go carbed. I've seen that "it costs $1000+ to convert" argument used way too much. Yes, it might cost $1000 to buy everything brand spanking new, but by the same logic, it would cost nearly $3000 to buy a completely new fuel injection setup and make the swap. I've never heard of anyone actually spending that much on either, used parts are just so plentiful that truth be told, it doesn't cost that much to go either way. These vehicles are much more alike in their similarities than their differences, especially the TBI and carb cars.

Good luck with the swap. You won't regret the results if you do it right.

-cal30sniper
Old 10-01-2011, 07:51 PM

Car: 92 RS
Engine: L03 with Holley Sniper EFI, headers
Transmission: T-5, hurst billet shifter
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

-cal30sniper
My problem with the TBI setup is that you can't find parts any more (most of the ones available now are cheap made in China junk). I am now on my third mechanic trying to fix an idle/stalling/check engine light problem and no-one seems to know how to fix it anymore. It stalled today in the line for the smog check.

Hopefully, it will pass and I can finally get the stalling problem fixed. If not, I may consider getting it registered as an antique vehicle. In VA, you can apply for antique plates. You don't have to go through the inspection drill but you can't use it as a daily driver (you have to provide the VIN of another car you use). Other states may have similar programs.

If you got those instructions/parts list, it would be very helpful.

Last edited by mjwadams; 10-01-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:03 AM

Car: 88 k15000
Transmission: th400 (m80) 4x4
Axle/Gears: original

Depending of the carburetor available(mine s a holley 2 barrel 8450 from a 79 dodge ramcharger with a 360 engine) the aluminum adapter plate is made, I used the mounting gasket from the rebuild kit as a template , the adapter plate is made out of 1/2" aluminum then the carburetor bolts are drilled and tapped
there was enough clearance for the carburetor barrels to open without touching the intake when opened all the way one hole is drilled thru the plate to attach it to the original intake hole I used a bigger bit and an allen head bolt to make sure is flat on the adapter plate surface, the rest of the install requires epoxy all the way around were the adapter plate makes contact with the original intake leave it overnight to cure and presto

this is what my 88 k1500 looks like now, for the fuel pressure conversion(the original pump puts out 13 pds of pressure a carb would hold of to 9pds of pressure) I left the original pump in and used a Cadillac CTS fuel filter under he hood this filter has 3 lines to it in out and return, so I installed the input line in by the carb the return line bythe carb also)previously they would go behind the tbi and then he output line was hooked up to the carb NO PRESSURE REGULATOR NEEDED) since this filter has a return line all the extra pressure would just return to the tank and would not affect the carburetor.
a hei distributor from a 76 chevy truck was used and THE WIRING HARNESS WAS NOT CUT just tape it correctly and tuck it away on top of the manifold THATS ALL YOU MADE IT CARBURATED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by onemanarmy41; 06-09-2014 at 01:05 AM. Reason: pics
Old 06-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by onemanarmy41
Depending of the carburetor available(mine s a holley 2 barrel 8450 from a 79 dodge ramcharger with a 360 engine) the aluminum adapter plate is made, I used the mounting gasket from the rebuild kit as a template , the adapter plate is made out of 1/2" aluminum then the carburetor bolts are drilled and tapped
there was enough clearance for the carburetor barrels to open without touching the intake when opened all the way one hole is drilled thru the plate to attach it to the original intake hole I used a bigger bit and an allen head bolt to make sure is flat on the adapter plate surface, the rest of the install requires epoxy all the way around were the adapter plate makes contact with the original intake leave it overnight to cure and presto

this is what my 88 k1500 looks like now, for the fuel pressure conversion(the original pump puts out 13 pds of pressure a carb would hold of to 9pds of pressure) I left the original pump in and used a Cadillac CTS fuel filter under he hood this filter has 3 lines to it in out and return, so I installed the input line in by the carb the return line bythe carb also)previously they would go behind the tbi and then he output line was hooked up to the carb NO PRESSURE REGULATOR NEEDED) since this filter has a return line all the extra pressure would just return to the tank and would not affect the carburetor.
a hei distributor from a 76 chevy truck was used and THE WIRING HARNESS WAS NOT CUT just tape it correctly and tuck it away on top of the manifold THATS ALL YOU MADE IT CARBURATED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you onemanarmy41! Most of the parts can be found for less than what trying to repair the old TBI. A day out in the garage and your done.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Engine: 350sbc
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I did the swap last year on my truck.
I had a 87-88 Monte Carlo intake that fits directly on the 87-95 TBI heads with no mods.
I had the hei distributor already. And got a used qjet off a buddy's trans am when I did the swap
For a eddy carb. I modes the throttle bracket to work with what I had.reran a couple of hoses.
I also did a mechanical fuel pump for mine.
So you really need - intake manifold ( preferably a 87-95 style but pre 86 will work with mods)
- HEI distributor
- carburetor
- fuel pump or pressure regulator
And intake gasket kit and some hose,clamps and other bit parts.
Its a easy swap done in a couple hours.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:59 PM

-cal30sniper

I'm doing a carb swap on a 92 k2500. I got the intake, dizzy part down. Not many questions there. My questions all lie with what to do about the TV cable for the 700r4, and how to go from the serp system to vbelt system. Keep in mind this is for a derby truck. Gonna get smashed.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:36 AM

Car: 86 iroc
Engine: 350 vortec HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 370

Originally Posted by onemanarmy41

Does anyone have a part number for the cts Cadillac fuel filter that can be used in place of a pressure regulator? Would be nice to only need a mechanical fuel pump and this filter. I feel as tho this wouldn't exactly work as the fluid would take the path of least resistance which would be the open path to the carb.. I mean the 'extra' or fuel you don't need isn't going to just drain back to the tank, otherwise it all would all go back to the tank and not the carb I feel. Anyone running their carb like this?

Last edited by 86camaroZ; 05-18-2016 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:10 PM

Tagged for more information
Old 05-21-2020, 09:55 PM

-cal30sniper

Mr cal30sniper,

I have a 1990 camaro 305 TBI manual trans. i have done everything i could to have her start up again. Cranks. Theres fuel to the TB. i have cornered the problem to the injectors. no pulse. no power to them. fuses are fine. Basically i would like to know if i can get some help step by step on how to swap my TBI to CARB. Im pretty mechanically handy. so a list of what is needed first would be of much help. a have about a G to work with. I want to delete the computer basically. or would that not be possible because the computer controls the starter too?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:01 PM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Old dead thread, have you pulled your ecms prom to see if it fires up. Kinda a waste to give up efi and goto carb.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:17 PM

I didnt want to mess with the computer because i have no experience. And new to these cars.Simply pulling the PROM out the computer and trying to fire up would make a difference? And also while your here, i read that the TPS can cause Injector pulse issues too. Appreciate the reply
Old 05-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Pulling the prom bypasses the ecm from expecting to see the hz signal from the passkey vats module. This puts the ecm in limp home mode. If it’s a vats issue and it restores injector pulse there are a couple ways to bypass it.
if tps voltage is to high clear flood mode will activated and injector pulse will be cut.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:24 PM

Dude thanks for the help! will get to checking that out first thing tomorrow.