Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Suggestions for a thin carb spacer, hood clearance issues

Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 84 Trans AM
Engine: Goodwrench 350 Crate motor
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Suggestions for a thin carb spacer, hood clearance issues

I need to insulate my Holley a little better. What's the thinnest carb spacer I can get? I'm running an air gap manifold under a TA hood so clearance is an issue.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC
Engine: Rebuilt L98 with H/C/I/Carb
Transmission: TH350 with ATI Treemaster
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 4.10's
Re: Suggestions for a thin carb spacer, hood clearance issues

I have an airgap with a 1 1/2" spacer and it clears my stock IROC hood (barely). The trick is to use a corvette L88 drop base air cleaner and a 3" filter. I bought a reproduction filter base for something like $50 a few years ago. If using an HEI, the rear of the base will need to be "massaged" a little to clear the cap.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: '86 TA
Engine: '74 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Here's a couple of 1/4" ones on Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...rd=carb+spacer
Old 07-05-2012, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by pancherj
I have an airgap with a 1 1/2" spacer and it clears my stock IROC hood (barely). The trick is to use a corvette L88 drop base air cleaner and a 3" filter. I bought a reproduction filter base for something like $50 a few years ago. If using an HEI, the rear of the base will need to be "massaged" a little to clear the cap.
Did you notice any performance decrease with the drop base air cleaner? where can i get the l88 cleaner from?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 PM

Car: 1985 Sport Coupe
Engine: 3800 Series II Turbo
Transmission: 4th-gen WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW Limited

Drop base air cleaner throttles the hell out of your flow if you have a choke horn on the carb.

Get a 1/4" or 1/2" phenolic.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 AM

Car: 92 Z28 Z03/89 IROC
Engine: MIA/mild 350
Transmission: MIA/T56
Axle/Gears: 3.28/3.73

Originally Posted by Aaron_SK
Drop base air cleaner throttles the hell out of your flow if you have a choke horn on the carb.

Get a 1/4" or 1/2" phenolic.

yup, 1/2" phenolic and a drop base still cleared my stock hood but my wing nut rubs if i dont posistion it correctly, more importantly it reduced the heat transfer from my manifold too carb dramatically
Old 07-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Car: 2001 GMC Sonoma 4.3/ 84 Trans Am
Engine: SBC 355
Transmission: 89 World Class Borg T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 bolt

Just dropped my engine in and looks like I have a possible clearance issue. Whats a good drop base for a 4 barrel quadrajet.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can stack up a short pile of the regular thin gaskets to get EXACTLY the spacing you want as well. The contact area is large and they won't try to squirt out the side or distort.

I doubt you'll find much improvement, however, considering you already have an air gap-style intake.

Also I should mention that much of the heat is NOT conducted through the gasket. Even a paper-thin stocfk one. Most of the heat transfer is heat that is RADIATED from the intake into the fuel bowls overhanging on either end. THAT requires more than just a thick gasket to fix. You need a carb heat shield. Cruise Summit's website. You will find what looks like a metal plate with a carb flange opening in the middle. That puts a heat reflector (the metal plate) between the top of the hot intake the the underside of the carb's float bowls. They work extremely well. They also add almost nothing to the total carb height.

I am not going to kid you, however- getting one to fit up with various vacuum lines, fittings and throttle/kickdown linkages often requires modifying it to clear everything. But that's the part you really need if you're truly serious about keeping intake heat away from your carb.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:40 PM

Car: 1990 IROC
Engine: Rebuilt L98 with H/C/I/Carb
Transmission: TH350 with ATI Treemaster
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 4.10's

No performance decrease that I could see. My car has gone 11.89 in the summer heat with that air cleaner setup. I bought mine on-line. Just google search for L88 drop base air cleaner. You'll find it. Currently, I fabbed a ram air intake by using the stock TPI intake and some fabrication work to mate it to the drop base air cleaner. That made a big difference in SOTP power.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Damon
You can stack up a short pile of the regular thin gaskets to get EXACTLY the spacing you want as well. The contact area is large and they won't try to squirt out the side or distort.

I doubt you'll find much improvement, however, considering you already have an air gap-style intake.

Also I should mention that much of the heat is NOT conducted through the gasket. Even a paper-thin stocfk one. Most of the heat transfer is heat that is RADIATED from the intake into the fuel bowls overhanging on either end. THAT requires more than just a thick gasket to fix. You need a carb heat shield. Cruise Summit's website. You will find what looks like a metal plate with a carb flange opening in the middle. That puts a heat reflector (the metal plate) between the top of the hot intake the the underside of the carb's float bowls. They work extremely well. They also add almost nothing to the total carb height.

I am not going to kid you, however- getting one to fit up with various vacuum lines, fittings and throttle/kickdown linkages often requires modifying it to clear everything. But that's the part you really need if you're truly serious about keeping intake heat away from your carb.
Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-108-70/?rtype=10