Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Products to use to patch a hole in the radiator?

Old 06-19-2005, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
Products to use to patch a hole in the radiator?

So today I discovered a small pin hole in my radiator. The proper thing to do I imagine would be to talk it to a welder and have them weld a small area over the aluminum but.. its 2pm on Sunday, not sure if I can find one in time so my next option is a cold weld. Oh and to put further pressure on the situation I start my new job tomorrow morning. So the fastest fix that I can think of is to take the radiator out, sand down the area where the weld will go then yea apply the cold weld epoxy and let it dry. So far I've trusted brands like JB weld but all I have now is the Quick weld from JB weld, its the one that dries in 4 minutes. This fix only has to last two weeks or so until I get a paycheck, they I'm going to buy a performance radiator so I don’t have to worry about being immobilized by a radiator at any given time. btw, this is a cheap aftermarket radiator with the plastic sides. Cheap! being the keyword.

My question is, is there any other cold weld epoxy that bonds to aluminum and withstands high temperatures? If so where can I get it?

Note: I'm testing a few drops of the JB quick weld on the top of the radiator to see how strong it will bond to aluminum.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Anyone try this?

http://www.jbweld.co.uk/files/products.html

DS114 PERM-O-SEAL

JB Welds Perm-o-Seal is a radiator stop leak compound that has been effectively and permanently repairing vehicular cooling systems since 1914 using an entirely organic mixture of finely ground ingredients which circulate in the cooling system rather than get dissolved into it.A water lubricant and rust inhibitor has been added to the mixture to enhancethe cooling systems performance.

The product does not clog, obstruct or harm the cooling system, making it safe and effective to use.

The product achieves a PERMANENT repair rather than being a temporary plug.Many people buy Perm-o-Seal and store it in their vehicle until it is required, this is a recommended practise as the product has an indefiniteshelf life.

Another main benefit of JB Weld over other similar compounds is that the Perm-o-Seal continues to flow around the cooling system after the leak has beenrepaired allowing further leaks to be repaired, should they occur, without further product being added.

The product is colourfully packaged on an attractive blister card.

PRODUCT INDEX | HOME
Old 06-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '83 Berli, '84 Berli, '84 Z28 HO
Engine: L69, LG4, L69
Transmission: TH700-R4, TH700-R4, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.08, 3.73 Posi
the only thing that would bother me about that is if it does not clog... how does it repair? It obviousely has to clog holes and fil them.. in order to fix the leak. soo, if your ratiator has any corrosion in it that might restrict flow to begin with.. that might ust make it worse
Old 06-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Here is some information from someone else on the stop leak stuff. True or not, one bad story is enough to make me never try it. I've seen jelly like particles in my old radiator, maybe it had stop leak in it. Well from switching from that radiator to the new one, I saw no difference in cooling temps but still, I wouldnt want that stuff flowing through my car in a jelly like form as it wasnt intended to be. This could be some cheap stop leak but screw that idea when I can fix it on the outside. Does anyone work at a lube shop where you see alot of radiator flushes? Could that nasty jelly like buildup be stopleak for sure? Does it in your opinion cause problems?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef22120!make=CATS&model=Warranties&ed_makeindex=.ef22120

It sounds like Stop Leak to me. This substance has been used for years to stop leaks, and it works -- for a while. However, after this stuff has solidified and stopped the leak, the chemical make-up of it begins to change. It eventually turns to putty, breaks up, and floats around your entire cooling system. This putty-like material then clogs other areas -- areas never intended to be clogged. This can cause big problems! I bought my car used and it had this "stop leak" stuff in it. The problem is, when this stuff is first put in, it's literally undetectable. After a while, though, I noticed my reservoir tank and radiator cap had muddy stuff on it. This was the stop leak fluid after it had turned to putty. It clogged my intake plenum gasket. Cost to fix was over $1,000 as the engine had to be completely taken apart. Thank goodness I have that extended warranty!

If stop leak is the culprit, don't put anymore in, as it could get into other parts of the car outside the cooling system, i.e. engine. From your description that sounds like the culprit. However even when my car was losing coolant rapidly and had this leak, it did not run extra hot, so that part of the story has me scratching my head. Good luck with your car.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

exactly what i was saying.. anything that is gona clog a hole in your radiator no matter the size is going to end up clogging up other things as well as that is it's job after all. to clog holes. and it does not care what holes... Just take it to a shop and have it fixed.. peace of mind if nothing else. you know the leak is fixed. and you will not have to worry about some mysterious particles of stop leak stuff running around your cooling system that can potentially cause alot of harm later on
Old 06-19-2005, 07:49 PM

Car: '68 corvette '73 Corvette
Engine: 427 454
Transmission: TH400
advance auto parts has aluminum radiators for $112. i know i installed one and the next day i installed a new balancer and knocked a hole in it. replaced the rad. again and 2 weeks later went to put in a tranny cooler and knocked a hole in it.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

darn.. might wanna put a piece of plywood in front of the radiator when installing things next to it huh lol.. I have almost punched a hole in mine when doing the Balancer... but seen what could happen after it nearly did and got myself a piece of 1/4 plywood and put in there...
Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Angelis83LT , I dont mean to look as if I'm stealing your credit, just backing up your opinion with another persons.

> I'm posting for an update, I used JB quickweld to patch the small pin hole. It hasnt failed yet but I have only been driving short distances for now. I'll post again if it does leak, then I'll try the JB weld that is meant for automotive issues. Quick withstands temps of 300F as the regular is up to 500F .

later
Old 06-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Posi w/Disc
If it were me looking for a two week fix, I'd sand the area around the hole, clean it with alcohol and JB Weld it. Should last for quite a while, just be sure to bring a few gallons of water with you for the next two weeks until you get the new rad.

P.S. About two years ago, I fixed a puncture in the low pressure side of an R134a freezer with JB and it's held great since.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member

I have used the jb weld method once or twice myself and that acttually does work rather nice depending on where the leak is. I will in fact be doing that to another almost brand new radiator (has a chip taken out of it at the very top nothing really big) And that should fix it up all nice and neatly. then it is jsut to wait for the frame of the car it goes in to come back from the body shop.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:56 AM

Car: 1982 Z28 & 1987 Z28
Engine: Carbed 400ci & TPI 305ci
Transmission: TH-200C & TH-700R4
Clean it up and do it right and the JB Weld should last quite a long time.. I've used it to patch a small hole in an A/C line where it had been rubbing against a sharp edge. That was 2 years ago, no leaks in the system yet. If it can withstand the pressure of an A/C compressor then i'm sure it'll work on the radiator.. (Don't believe it was the quick 4 minute stuff though.. This one took a couple hours to fully set up.)