Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

AC line and fitting sizes?

Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 tbi, Lo3 (for now)
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: stock (for now)
AC line and fitting sizes?

So, Im thinking of swapping engines in the future, and I know Ill be facing an AC issue. I dont want a relocation hassle, so the compressor will be low, and Ill need custom length lines. Itll be a 4th gen compressor, but 3rd gen everything else. Ive searched the swap forum, and most guys have a local shop make a set of lines, or just delete the AC. Im keeping my AC.

At docblocks.com, they have a 90 degree fitting for GM compressors, that states the sizes to be #8 with 3/4" x 16 tpi, and a #10, 7/8" x 14 tpi. I want rubber lines, but the tool to crimp the fittings is $500. Id rather not chase a shop down to make custom length lines (unless someone has a link to a good one that wont cost a fortune).

My question is, can I use a rubber hose (Like Earls pro-lite 350, rated at 350psi max press. and -40 to 300 deg f.) with the AN fittings, and adapt to the block from docsblocks? I use AN fittings all the time at work, but for aviation purposes, and mostly hard lines. I have assembled braided, high pressure hydraulic lines, but most aviation manufacturers give very specific perameters for their hoses. And a #8, would be 1/2" in AN, with a #10 being 5/8". Im assuming the extra 1/4" in each of the sizes listed above is the difference for the line sizes, as in: #8 line, into a 1/2" tube, thats flared to a 3/4" x 16tpi end.

Also, does anyone know the thread size and pitch for both ends of the lines. High side, and low side, from the compressor, to the evap, and dryer (I think, if memory serves me). My AC is hooked up and working, or Id just measure it.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Car: 84 Trans AM
Engine: 355 SBC 400HP 427TQ Custom Build
Transmission: TH350 current, swapping to 700R4
Axle/Gears: GM 10 bolt, Auburn Posi 3.73
Re: AC line and fitting sizes?

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/...ose-kits-7.php
Check this site for all your A/C line needs. They sell all the fittings and hose you need to make custom lines at a good price. I have used them many times before with no problem. They also sell the tool. But for the money, just take your hoses with fittings (once you have them all cut and put together) to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses. They should be able to crimp them together for you for very little money if you have everything together.
Last time I took a custom made hose in for crimping, the charged me $5.00 to do the crimps for me. Thats a hell of a lot cheaper than even the cheapest tools (would have to make about 50 sets of custom hoses to even break even on the bench mounted manual crimpers).

Would need to know exact part # or at least part and year it came off of to give you thread pitch/sizing.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Car: 1991 pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 tbi, Lo3 (for now)
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: stock (for now)
Re: AC line and fitting sizes?

Thanks. Thats what I figured Id have to do.

Hawks sells a kit, with braided hoses and a block, but it doesnt work with manifolds. I was hoping to convert to AN sizes, something Im familiar with. I might still try it, once I recover the system for disassembly. If I do, Ill post the sizes and adapter part numbers. AN sizes are alot easier to deal with for fittings.