DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Accel DFI for Dummies???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 01:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Accel DFI for Dummies???

O.K., i gettin ready to start playing with my Gen VII DFI again, I was wondering where i find some beginner info on how to tune this system, I really don't want to have to pay a speedshop everytime that i make a change to my combo.

I have read thru the manual many times, but there is alot that i just can't seem to comprehend. I bought this system because i thought it was supposed to be user friendly.

Can anyone suggest books or classes??? will the book for the gen 6 by Ray Bohacz be any help?

thanks
larry
Old 02-04-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I noticed that on the Calmap 6.32, if you know what you are doing it is user friendly. What you really need is a dyno to be abel to see what is happening when ever you change something. I dowloaded some instructions for tuning mine but not sure where you can get them for VII. In Calmap 6.32 there is a place to input your estimated hp (and maybe a few other things) to get a base fuel map and prolly other variables.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:34 PM

I have already been the route of using the program estimater to get the car running, which it did, albeit extremely rich and the need the keep the throttle cracked to keep it running, then with some help from a friend, he was able to get it running alot better, but it still has some major tuning issues. And i don't think his heart was really into it.

I feel you should be able to get the tune close without a dyno, especially seeing that i have the wideband 02 option.

larry
Old 02-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Re: Accel DFI for Dummies???

Originally posted by maniacc
Gen VII

I have read thru the manual many times, but there is alot that i just can't seem to comprehend. I bought this system because i thought it was supposed to be user friendly.

Can anyone suggest books or classes??? will the book for the gen 6 by Ray Bohacz be any help?
The manual I looked at for the Accel VII was very lacking, it was on one of the early units, if they haven't redone it, then yes, it's lacking.

Bohacz book is a good first read.

User friendly ends when you actually want to get good drivibility. It takes a certain level of sophistication to make it all work. And that means work.

Sorry, just the way it is.

If you want to save on wear and tear on the car, and save a bunch of gas, you'll be getting one of the cheaper WB setups. They're invaluable for a new guy starting on a ground up calibration, IMO....
Old 02-04-2004, 06:16 PM

Thanks Grumpy,

When i purchased my DFI system last spring, there wasn't even a manual with it, only the one that was downloadable from the Mr. gasket website. so that is all i have.

I don't need to get another WB kit do i?? i already have the WB option with the DFI.

It's looking like i'll have to throw my car on a trailer and taking it to a local speed shop and let them tune it. which really angers me. i bought this system so i could tune it. but i obviously got in over my head or i'm just really stupid.

larry
Old 02-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
i bought this system so i could tune it. but i obviously got in over my head or i'm just really stupid.

Not at all.
It's something new, and takes time to understand.
Go slow take notes.
Might read thur the DIY-PROM board for a while trying to get a better grasp of what you looking to do.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:55 PM
D F

Download the Holley Commander 950 tuning manual. Although it is for the Holley it provides a methodical tuning strategy for any EFI system. www.holley.com
Old 02-04-2004, 11:09 PM

I see in your sig. that your combo is boosted. This may not be the combo you want to learn on as there is not a big window for error. If i were you I would pay to get it tuned, ask them if they will show you a little while they are doing it, then you can study the tables afterward and try to get a grasp on it. Did you buy the pro key with it? if not you cannot make changes live. Once you have a understanding of fuel injection it will start to make sense. Get the download that DF recommended, it will help you. If you do do it yourself, GO SLOW, watch the WB02. I tuned mine first without the blower belt on then added boost.

one more thing, whats up with the 24lb injectors? are you running a FMU still?
Old 02-05-2004, 05:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bear in mind that I haven’t really played with the Gen 7, but hopefully what I’ve learned from the Gen 6, you may be able to use to help you. It's also kind of long. LOL.
Many times, beginners will look at the base fuel map to start “playing” with. What beginners tend to forget is that there are other area’s of the DFI that can affect how the motor reacts.
Take for example in Calmap 6.32, I can go into the WARMUP ENRICHMENT section and by altering the percentage at the temperature the motor is running in, I can make the motor run richer or leaner. This is because the WARMUP ENRICHMENT function works on top of what the base fuel map is calling for. AFTER START DECAY RATE in Calmap 6.32 can also have an affect over how well a motor runs just like the WARMUP ENRICHMENT map.
A lot of times when it comes to the first tune, ZEROING out maps like WARMUP ENRICHMENT, AFTERSTART DECAY RATE, etc. will help greatly in first tuning the DFI. Also People will use a map tuned for someone else’s motor. Though the base fuel will be close to what your motor may need, your motor may not need as much WARMUP ENRICHMENT as what the other motor needs. So now your motor will run too rich. Sections like these in Calmap tend to mask what changes the base fuel map needs and people that begin to play with the DFI don’t realize that.
On the flip side, adding or subtracting a percentage to a map like WARMUP ENRICHMENT can tell you if your base fuel map needs more or needs less. For example, if say my motor is running too rich, I can go into WARMUP ENRICHMENT map and by subtracting a percentage at a time out of the map at the point in which the current temperature is at, I am leaning the base fuel map. If the car runs better with the WARMUP ENRICHMENT at say 30% less, I go back to the base fuel map and make my changes to reflect the percentage I took out and zero out the WARMUP ENRICHMENT and see how the motor runs from there.
Again, this is what I’ve learned tuning the Gen 6 DFI with Calmap 6.32. But again, hopefully you can get something out of it. Hope this helps.

Last edited by FAST LiFE; 02-05-2004 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:35 AM

Thanks guys,
This is some great info.

biggtime...I have 24# injectors and the FMU on the car right now, the reason for this is i wanted to make sure that everything was going to work with the new ecm, because i am using a plug and pray harness with the OEM harness, and not the accel supplied one. Now that i have all the installation bugs worked out, i have a set of 42# injectors that i will be installing and ditching the FMU.
Also no i recieved the sportmans key, but i was told that i could still do everyhing except edit certain maps, i didn't know that i couldn't do realtime changes. This is something that i'll have to check into, because this was a big selling point.

later
larry

Last edited by maniacc; 02-05-2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:47 AM

Thanks guys,
This is some great info.

biggtime...I have 24# injectors and the FMU on the car right now, the reason for this is i wanted to make sure that everything was going to work with the new ecm, because i am using a plug and pray harness with the OEM harness, and not the accel supplied one. Now that i have all the installation bugs worked out, i have a set of 42# injectors that i will be installing and ditching the FMU.
Also no i recieved the sportmans key, but i was told that i could still do everyhing except edit certain maps, i didn't know that i couldn't do realtime changes. This is something that i'll have to check into, because this was a big selling point.

later
larry
Make sure you put them in before tuning or you will have to go back and start over!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:30 AM

Car: 90 gta
Engine: 5.slow turbo
Transmission: tremec tko
ok, i just got the GEN 7 also, and when i first looked at it was like OMG, i thought i knew something about this stuff,WRONG! well i just printed out the F1 help screen, gonna spend the afternoon reading it. i'll let u know if it helps me
Old 02-11-2004, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: Bone Stock 350ci HSR T-76 Turbo
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: Stock
Holley 950 or Accel DFI? for turbo

Hi I am looking for proggramable injection for my 355 with turbos and need some advice in which is the best setup, prices,etc...
Old 02-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6

O.K., i gettin ready to start playing with my Gen VII DFI again, I was wondering where i find some beginner info on how to tune this system, I really don't want to have to pay a speedshop everytime that i make a change to my combo.

thanks
larry

no, you'll never get it right, give your whole system to me!

lol, seriously though, holley has a great EFI tuning guide for the commander 950 online... while the screen shots and such wont help you, the overall concept and ideas will still apply.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:32 PM

Mr. dude,

If things keep going the way they are, i might just sell the whole car!!!

I have started printing the holley manual, but ran outta ink, also i am going to borders books tomorrow to see if they have the accel 6.0 book.

later
larry
Old 02-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Mr. dude,

If things keep going the way they are, i might just sell the whole car!!!

I have started printing the holley manual, but ran outta ink, also i am going to borders books tomorrow to see if they have the accel 6.0 book.

later
larry

uhh, since you have to be at the laptop/computer to use the system anyway, you could just copy the file to the computer

and then just read it and switch between the manual and DFI...

Alt + Tab swaps programs when they're full screen.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

The Wide band O2 is so named because it can read exhaust oxygen content over a "wide band", including full thottle acceleration. The purpose of this in the gen 7 system is ease of base fuel map programming. Warm up your engine. If youre having trouble with cold idle, adjust warm up fuel accordingly. If the vehicle is undrivable, try using the base fuel map generator again. Just reduce the estimated HP number. This program tends to go way rich but you can cheat it and atleast get a base map that will work to start. Drive the vehicle using the movie function to record base fuel map & air fuel ratio. Park the vehicle and view the recorded data. Adjust base fuel to correct AF across the map. This can take a while but thats how its done. Repeat these steps until AF is in line. AF at cruise should be just under 14.5:1. At full throttle it should run between 11:1 & 12.5:1 depending on your engine configuration. Once youve set base fuel (this has to be first), adjust timing curve using movie to record ign map while driving under varying throttle pressures until your comfortable with engine performance. Dont get too crazy with ign advance. Pre ignition is no joke. If you hear pinging back off two degrees full advance. Next let it cool overnight and adjust after start and warm up enrichment. Its not as simple as it sounds but if your diligent and dont give up too easy, you can do this. Study all you can about engine tuning first. Amazon offers many publications on the subject. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by ASE doc
The Wide band O2 is so named because it can read exhaust oxygen content over a "wide band", including full thottle acceleration. The purpose of this in the gen 7 system is ease of base fuel map programming. Warm up your engine. If youre having trouble with cold idle, adjust warm up fuel accordingly. If the vehicle is undrivable, try using the base fuel map generator again. Just reduce the estimated HP number. This program tends to go way rich but you can cheat it and atleast get a base map that will work to start. Drive the vehicle using the movie function to record base fuel map & air fuel ratio. Park the vehicle and view the recorded data. Adjust base fuel to correct AF across the map. This can take a while but thats how its done. Repeat these steps until AF is in line. AF at cruise should be just under 14.5:1. At full throttle it should run between 11:1 & 12.5:1 depending on your engine configuration. Once youve set base fuel (this has to be first), adjust timing curve using movie to record ign map while driving under varying throttle pressures until your comfortable with engine performance. Dont get too crazy with ign advance. Pre ignition is no joke. If you hear pinging back off two degrees full advance. Next let it cool overnight and adjust after start and warm up enrichment. Its not as simple as it sounds but if your diligent and dont give up too easy, you can do this. Study all you can about engine tuning first. Amazon offers many publications on the subject. Good luck.

You do realize that you dug up a 6 year old thread. Why?

RBob.