DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

Accel Gen6 No Timing Control

Old 12-05-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1970 El Camino
Engine: ZZ4 TPI Powercoated Black, SLP Runn
Transmission: LS1 T56, Moser 9" 3.25 Posi
Accel Gen6 No Timing Control

Hi,

I have an Accel Gen6 (74022) system on my ZZ4 with TPI injection. I'm running an F-body distributor and coil with a Mallory box. The problem I'm having is that I have absolutely no control over the timing. Driving around, the car is dead until 2500 RPM and then it runs great. I just checked the timing (again), and here's what happens.

Timing is about 6 degrees BTDC at idle. Rev it up a bit, the timing retards. Hold the revs up some more, and the timing goes to about 5 or 6 degrees ATDC before it suddenly jumps up to about 20 degrees BTDC. My laptop battery died while doing this, so I couldn't verify that the timing was jumping back up at 2500 RPM, but I'm pretty confident that's the spot. I also know that the timing was acting this way before I put the ignition box on, so I don't think I wired it up wrong. Timing does not change a bit with the bypass connector disconnected or hooked up.

Any ideas? Am I looking at a bad ignition module? One set of instructions I found said to switch a pin on the computer for the F-body distributor, but the instructions that came with the system do not mention it at all.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
Old 12-06-2005, 11:51 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: clapped out 84Z
Engine: 355 efi roller
Transmission: tremec TKO
Set the timing as described halfway down the thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ghlight=timing

You want to do this so the reading from your timing light matches the signal the ecm is sending to the distributor. Once set, repeat the way you where revving it up, and see if the timing indicated on the balancer is the same as what is shown in the timing screen on your laptop.

Is this the "stock" timing curve or an unknown one. In the thread above is a link to all the stock gen6 programs. You might want to save your timing program and download the original to compare.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I am using the stock Accel timing curve. I already synced up the timing, but I will try it again. I'm going to call Accel, as I think I'm missing a wiring diagram to hook up a CD ignition box with the Gen6 system.

Ryan
Old 12-07-2005, 10:40 PM

Just as a follow-up, a new module fixed everything.