DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

82 Crossfire ECM Pin Out & Wire Diagram Need

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82 Crossfire ECM Pin Out & Wire Diagram Need

Hi Guys. I have cool project I am working on with my buddies. Basically were dropping a 327ci small block with crossfire injection into 1969 Camaro. The injector setup was out of a 82' Camaro that unfortunately was totaled. We saved the whole 82' harness and all the crossfire parts.

So what I'm looking for is connector pin out of 1982 Crossfire Injection ECM and engine wiring diagram. We did have a shop manual many years ago for 1982 but I can't find it. I've been googling for hours can't seem to find anything. The car so close to getting done we just need to get the crossfire computer hooked up.

I don't have any pictures up but I do have a video log of the Camaro on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/SaveOldSchoolMuscle

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 AM

Car: 82 Camaro Z28, 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0L TBI., 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto TH200C, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, ones that rotate!
Re: 82 Crossfire ECM Pin Out & Wire Diagram Need

Look in this thread for a copy of the service manual page with the ECM pin outs. The last message has a document I created from the pin out in the service manual, but with a bit more information included.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...wire-pics.html

There is no single "engine" wiring diagram. I have both the 82 service manual and the 82 Factory Assembly Manual.

The Factory Assembly Manual has diagrams showing where various pats of the ECM harness went on the engine.

I also suspect that you will not need all the connections from the ECM. How much of the pollution equipment did you move get and install in the 69?

I also have an 82CFI in the garage. The engine is partly disassembled, with most of the EMC harness disconnected from the various engine components. I could get approximate routing and wire colors --- but I am working a lot of overtime and my free time will be extremely limited for the next several weeks. This includes weekends
Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 AM

Thank You 82Crossfire Z28! That PDF will be handy. I think we can work our way forward now from ECM. The plan is to remove unnecessary electrical wires from the harness and splice into the 69' Camaro harness. Bare bone just want is necessary to get engine running. We have no emissions on the car other than PCV.

If you have some diagrams from say the B+ to the ECM and then ECM to Injectors and engine sensors and so on that would be helpful. Also Fuel pump relay.

Also we are missing one of the air cleaners screw down ***** can you still get them?

Last edited by OldSchoolMuscle; 07-20-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I you do not have I do have a schematic I can photocopy and fax. 1984 CF Vette.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 PM

Well thanks to those pin out diagrams and a wiring harness diagram Brent found HERE we were able start picking apart the harness today. We were able to get all of the wires identified and labeled. The trick now is figuring out how mount the ECM under the dash and patch into the Camaro harness. I installed the 69' engine harness in the car today which is mostly lighting, charging and starting circuits. Lot less wires than the 82' harness that's for sure. Tomorrow I'm going to work on the 69' dash harness cleaning up all the connectors and figuring out how to splice in, power, and fuse the ECM.

Thank You for the offer Ronny but think we are good now.

I'll post some picture and a new video soon.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:34 PM

Car: 82 Camaro Z28, 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0L TBI., 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto TH200C, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, ones that rotate!

The air cleaner ***** are a tough find. Think junk yard from a cross fire engine (not an everyday find in a jy either). Also take a look at this thread on the History and Restoration board

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...sfire-air.html

I suggest you visit e-bay and pick up a 1982 Camaro Service manual. There are 7 listed tonight ranging in price from $18 - $24. A new one is also shown for $70. Note that the colored circuit diagrams at the back of the manual do not document the ECM connections for the Cross Fire engine. They only show the connections for a V8 carb engine and the V6. There are several pages showing the complete wiring diagram, but this diagram does not document the connector numbers as the colored diagrams do. You might also pick up the TBI service manual, as they give some tips hon how to tune up and balance the TBIs so you get equal fuel flow to each side of the engine.

Running with out the EGR and the air tubes may cause you some grief as the ECM may sense values out of the normal range and run the engine rich or lean. The EGR is no big deal, but your engine block is not equipped to handle the air tubes, nor is your exhaust. This will cause the oxygen sensor to some times report out of range conditions to the ECM, which will try to correct them.

One item you will need for input is the Vehicle Speed Sensor, which in the 82 cars is located on the circuit board that is part of the dash. I think it looks at the RPM output from the distributor and converts the signal to send it to the ECM.

Other under dash circuits connecting to the ECM are to a 10 amp fuse and to the ALCL connector. You will need this connector to get the Error codes from the ECM. There are about 80 pages of CFI trouble shooting charts, based on the error Codes for the CFI engine. I would consider this a must have for your project.

I hope you have a return fuel line accounted for in your project. The TBI units require on to function properly.

How do you intend to handle air injection into the top of the air cleaner when you drop the hammer and the ECM see a WOT condition? On the 82 cars this was achieved by opening the hood louvers and pumping air directly into the top of the air cleaner. Before you painted the air cleaner, did you notice the gasket ring around the top of the housing? There was a gasket on the underside of the hood that sealed the top opening from the engine compartment. The when the louvers opened, the air was forced into the air cleaner. Pin 7 on the black connector ran to the control relay for the hold louver solenoid. A WOT condition would energize this output to close the relay which would power the louver solenoid to open.

I took at look at the schematics and figured out a few things. There 4 3 fuses in the fuse block that you will need to duplicate and one direct connection to the Battery + terminal.

On the battery terminal there is a fusible link, Wire # 2, 16 AWG. This connects to wire #340, Orange that provides power to the ECM memory. This should be a single connector with an orange wire that would stretch on the inside of the wheel well to the battery in the 82 car. The 10 amp ECM fuse is only hot when the ignition switch in in START of RUN. This circuit is Pink/BK and powers all the sensors, as well as two direct connections to the ECM. Its wire number is 439 in my first diagram. The other two fuses are both 3 amp,, only powered with the ignition in START or RUN and. One fuse powers TBI 1, is red and its wire number is 480. The second fuse powers TBI 2, is white and its wire number is 481. Finally the Gage Fuse, again only powered when the ignition is in START or RUN powers the VSS mentioned above. I suppose you could just power the VSS off of wire 439.

The attache pdf is an attempt to scan the CFI wiring diagram from the service manual. I zoomed in to only show the ECM, both ECM connectors and also the under dash connector that was located just to the left of the ECM in the 82 car. I suspect all the fused circuits and the VSS, ALCL connector and the check engine light were connected to the ECM via this connector. As you can see, it is not very legible.

I will post a few more questions for you to think about as you proceed with your project.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
82 CFI_EMC Connections003.pdf (16.2 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by 82CrossFire Z28; 07-21-2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Corrected Pin number from 5 to 7, corrected spelling errors, added pdf file
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Car: 83 z28/ 82 trans am
Engine: stock? 305 w/crossfire
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73/stock 2.98?

How do you intend to handle air injection into the top of the air cleaner when you drop the hammer and the ECM see a WOT condition? On the 82 cars this was achieved by opening the hood louvers and pumping air directly into the top of the air cleaner
you had many good points, but this one just makes me say "huh" the louvers have nothing to do with air injection, they simply give a ram-air effect. the trans-am has a cowl induction hood(I have an 83 Camaro and an 82 T/A) the 84 vette has no induction.(I don't have one of those)

As far as wiring info regester with autozone.com they have some pretty good repair info for free.

much of what needs to be done to make the ecm happy should be able to be done with resisters to make the computer "think" that it is comanding a solinoid. make sure to install an 02 sensor, otherwise you will have no fuel control, and you might as well just use a carb.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
TGO Supporter

EBL-ECM can support that function....
Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Car: 1991 Z28, 1980 chevy monza
Engine: 305 tpi in the camaro 3.8 in the mo
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 273 posi

just being the devils advocate here, but, I once researched using the cross fire stuff for the cool factor too and what I learned at the time was that they only flowed enough air for a 305 no matter what you did the manifolds have real small ports and the cross flow setup was only used as a crutch to limp between a carb and the finished tuned port injection. so i am not sure using this on a 327 is your best choice
Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 AM
TGO Supporter

Thom is correct. you may want to consider a porting job on the heads abnd the manifold. Beyond that you will need to tune the chip.