Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

86-89 TPI ECM pin out diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Which one?
Engine: Which one?
Transmission: Again... which ****ing one...
86-89 TPI ECM pin out diagram?

Alright i've got a bit of a special circumstance here, i have a 305 SBC in my volvo 740, the car was hailed as being a 92' 350 TPI, i've already disproven that w/ stuff like the MAF vs. MAP, the casting on the blocks backside showing 5.0, etc...

Best i can narrow it down this is a 86-89 TPI 5.0l motor, it has an automatic transmission that i'm assuming is a 700r4...

The wiring in this thing is just nasty... i can't make heads or tails of it, but i'm almost positive it's really messed up, so i came to this forum to try and find a complete detailed diagram for the ECM, i need to know the pin outs so i can cut the harness and build a new engine to ECM harness.

Anyway, so here i am, joined onto this forum to pick ya'lls collective brains since i've never played with one of these motors/ECMs before.

As it sits now the wiring is awful, in various states of decay, some of the places that are tapped into factory volvo stuff just doesn't make sense (like the MAF having taps into the headlights?)

I'm attaching a bunch of photos so that ya'll can see what i'm dealing w/, i hope to get enough info out of ya'll to where i can just make my own ECM to Engine harness to ensure there is no wiring problems in the future.

My Block Casting
Old 06-05-2005, 09:33 PM

ECM Module

ECM under the dash + wiring 1

ECM under the dash + wiring 2

Motor in the 740

Engine Bay Wiring

Unidentified plug coming off the ignition coil.

some vacuum solenoid i'm assuming, not a volvo part... also looks like it's not hooked up either...
Old 06-05-2005, 09:42 PM

Currently these are the symptoms it exhibits:

1. uneven acceleration, surging in power, you'll floor it and get all noise, and no acceleration...

2. uneven/unstable idle after operating 20 mins or so... wants to stall, will idle down really low and lope pretty bad...

3. transmission is shifting WAY early... like in 3rd or overdrive by 40mph (i can't tell what i'm in as the shift linkage isn't indicating right on the volvo shifter, just feel my way through it, i don't believe i can reach "1st" with the selector...

4. runs about 210 degrees...

Things i've changed or updated:
- Replaced the fuel pump in use with a holley 255lph high flow unit...
- Replaced the ignition coil, cap, and rotor...
- Flushed the entire coolant system and put in new proper mix fluid...

On the way in to be replaced:
- MSD 8.5mm wires
- BBK adjustable fuel pressure regulator
- Thermotech or hypertech (forgetting which) 160 degree thermostat

What the car is supposed to do:
This is supposed to be a fun daily driver, with the 305 we figured a low 13 second car should be pretty easy, especially since this volvo's curb weight is 3300lbs now, which if what i read was right, makes this setup lighter than the f-body it came from...
Old 06-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4
Don't see a MAF or a TV cable to the trans, may be a later model. Anyway here's a good site that you can jump around on and find about anything there is to know about those ECMs.

http://diy-efi.org/gmecm/
Old 06-05-2005, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by tom3
Don't see a MAF or a TV cable to the trans, may be a later model. Anyway here's a good site that you can jump around on and find about anything there is to know about those ECMs.

http://diy-efi.org/gmecm/

sorry about the small images... pulled stills from a video i've shot to try and catch the stuff i'm talking about...
Old 06-06-2005, 09:49 PM

up
Old 06-07-2005, 07:20 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm always hesitant to mention this (moderator let me know if this is unappropriate), but I build new TPI harnesses for both the mass air and speed density systems.

Assuming there is nothing wrong with your engine (or sensors), you would only have to connect three wires to get the engine running (battery, ignition, and fuel pump). The grounds are all terminated to one ring terminal and bolt to the back of the driver side head. There are other wires to connect for additional functionality, such as:
  • Electric Fan(s)
  • Brake Switch for TCC Lockup (700R4)
  • Speed Input to the ECM (not optional...you need this)
  • Park/Neutral Indicator switch (700R4 only)
  • Service Engine Soon Indicator (usually goes to the gauges)
  • A/C (I include the dark green A/C On input wire for you to connect to your existing A/C wiring)
  • Oil Pressure Gauge signal wire

I would recommend converting to speed density. By the time you sell your mass air setup (165 ECM, MAF sensor, ESC module), you'll pay for the conversion costs (730 ECM, knock sensor, and MAP sensor). The speed density system has fewer wires and fewer relays.

I can build you a new harness for less than the cost of a Painless harness (under $300.00). I use the same wire, connectors, and terminals as Painless. I also have used 730 ECMs for speed density conversions. I test every harness on my TPI test engine before shipping. These ECMs are very common in the junk yard or you can buy one from me for $40.00.

Below are pictures of my harnesses. These are my stand alone 4-foot (distributor to ECM) harnesses. I often build custom length harnesses.

Mass Air

Speed Density

Notice I used standard automotive (bosch style) relays with the speed density harness. If you want the relays inside the vehicle, I can use the less expensive bosch style relays, or if you're mounting the relays under the hood, I can use the GM weatherpack relays.

Vehicle Antitheft
I can integrate the VATS bypass into the harness as a removable module. I can alternatively remove VATS from the prom. The benefit of the bypass module is that you can use it as an antitheft device by unlpugging it to disable your vehicle. Here's a pic.

Emissions
I see you've removed emissions. If you convert to speed density and decide you do not want to have the prom reprogrammed, I can bypass emissions with these modules.

Deciding whether to have the prom reprogrammed
If you are converting to speed density, you need a memcal anyway. Your local GM dealer sells these for about $100.00. If you are okay with the original fan temperatures (ON @ 226 / OFF @ 221), then I can include the bypass modules for VATS and emissions. If you want the fan temps lowered, you can have the prom reprogrammed to remove VATS, emissions, and lower the fan temps. I am able to do this.

Vehicle Speed Sensor and 1227165/1227730
Keep in mind that the mass air ecm needs a 2000 pulse per mile signal and the speed density system needs a 4000 pulse per mile signal.

The Wiring Pinouts/Diagrams You're Looking For
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/89wiring.gif

I'm not trying to push you to buy a harness from me. I'm just showing you how I can help and providing you with the information you asked for in this post (wiring diagram).

Judging by the harness (the two weatherpack style relays) and the front engine accessories, I think you have a 1989 system. If you do not have a 9th injector (cold start injector), then you definitely have a 1989 engine. If you do have the 9th injector, you have a 1988 engine...but I think it's a 1989.

Last edited by S10Wildside; 06-07-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:00 PM

How long have you been building these kits?

And how would you go about getting this 2000 or 4000 pulse per mile signal? the volvo instrument cluster gets it's speedometer signal from the volvo rear end, some sort of pick up back there...
Old 06-07-2005, 12:07 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been building these harnesses for over two years now.

There's a really good speed sensor article on this website: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/

You'll want to put the VSS in the tailshaft of the transmission. Whether you have a cable driven 700R4 or one that uses a magnetic VSS, there are aftermarket sensors for each application.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
I'm always hesitant to mention this (moderator let me know if this is unappropriate), but I build new TPI harnesses for both the mass air and speed density systems.

Assuming there is nothing wrong with your engine (or sensors), you would only have to connect three wires to get the engine running (battery, ignition, and fuel pump). The grounds are all terminated to one ring terminal and bolt to the back of the driver side head. There are other wires to connect for additional functionality, such as:
  • Electric Fan(s)
  • Brake Switch for TCC Lockup (700R4)
  • Speed Input to the ECM (not optional...you need this)
  • Park/Neutral Indicator switch (700R4 only)
  • Service Engine Soon Indicator (usually goes to the gauges)
  • A/C (I include the dark green A/C On input wire for you to connect to your existing A/C wiring)
  • Oil Pressure Gauge signal wire
I would recommend converting to speed density. By the time you sell your mass air setup (165 ECM, MAF sensor, ESC module), you'll pay for the conversion costs (730 ECM, knock sensor, and MAP sensor). The speed density system has fewer wires and fewer relays.

I can build you a new harness for less than the cost of a Painless harness (under $300.00). I use the same wire, connectors, and terminals as Painless. I also have used 730 ECMs for speed density conversions. I test every harness on my TPI test engine before shipping. These ECMs are very common in the junk yard or you can buy one from me for $40.00.

Below are pictures of my harnesses. These are my stand alone 4-foot (distributor to ECM) harnesses. I often build custom length harnesses.

Mass Air

Speed Density

Notice I used standard automotive (bosch style) relays with the speed density harness. If you want the relays inside the vehicle, I can use the less expensive bosch style relays, or if you're mounting the relays under the hood, I can use the GM weatherpack relays.

Vehicle Antitheft
I can integrate the VATS bypass into the harness as a removable module. I can alternatively remove VATS from the prom. The benefit of the bypass module is that you can use it as an antitheft device by unlpugging it to disable your vehicle. Here's a pic.

Emissions
I see you've removed emissions. If you convert to speed density and decide you do not want to have the prom reprogrammed, I can bypass emissions with these modules.

Deciding whether to have the prom reprogrammed
If you are converting to speed density, you need a memcal anyway. Your local GM dealer sells these for about $100.00. If you are okay with the original fan temperatures (ON @ 226 / OFF @ 221), then I can include the bypass modules for VATS and emissions. If you want the fan temps lowered, you can have the prom reprogrammed to remove VATS, emissions, and lower the fan temps. I am able to do this.

Vehicle Speed Sensor and 1227165/1227730
Keep in mind that the mass air ecm needs a 2000 pulse per mile signal and the speed density system needs a 4000 pulse per mile signal.

The Wiring Pinouts/Diagrams You're Looking For
http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/89wiring.gif

I'm not trying to push you to buy a harness from me. I'm just showing you how I can help and providing you with the information you asked for in this post (wiring diagram).

Judging by the harness (the two weatherpack style relays) and the front engine accessories, I think you have a 1989 system. If you do not have a 9th injector (cold start injector), then you definitely have a 1989 engine. If you do have the 9th injector, you have a 1988 engine...but I think it's a 1989.

U are the man...I think you are the right guy to help me. I am puting in a 305 tpi engine from a 92 camaro z28 I have the harness from the firewall to the engine, I don't have anything that was inside the car. my question is this...do I need a vats module to get the car to run? or can I figure out somehow the correct resistance resistor and just splice it right out of the computer? I can't even find a picture of a vats module anywhere. How do I figure out the correct resistance I was thinking about getting a potentiometer and keep trying the fifteen different values on this chart I have obtained. I know that can take up to an hour because you have to wait four minutes per value...I hope you can help. by the way your harnesses look really good if I wasn't so cheap I'd probably buy one.