Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

lojack removal

Old 10-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
lojack removal

based on some receipts that came with my '91 when I bought it, I have reason to believe that it may have a lojack system installed. have never found it, if it exists, though.

any common/typical places the lojack folks might install their bundle of joy so that I can verify it no longer exists on the car?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: Vortec 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 non posi
Re: lojack removal

Usually in the dash somewhere. At least thast what ive always heard. You can pop the dash pad off and you can get a good look into the top half, if its somewhere on the bottom that could be a pain
Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 PM

Car: 1984 firebird
Engine: 2.8 v6
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: soon: A working car.

Sorry for the rezz, was just in lojack's site and this is relevant.

"How do I find out if the used car I bought has LoJack?
Ask your car dealer or the previous owner if the vehicle is equipped with LoJack. If there is a LoJack in your car, you will need to contact LoJack Customer Service at 1-(800)-4-LOJACK (1-800-456-5225) to arrange for an inspection appointment. See owners page for more information."

http://www.lojack.com/car/pages/car-faqs.aspx#q10

"Can car thieves find my LoJack and beat the system?
The LoJack Unit is very small–about the size of a deck of cards–so it can be hidden in as many as 20 to 30 different places in your vehicle. This makes it very difficult for thieves to find your LoJack. Why is there no exterior marking on the vehicle stating it has LoJack? Wouldn't a LoJack sticker act as a theft deterrent? LoJack is not designed to be a deterrent. One of the major benefits of the System is that LoJack is covert, thus a thief does not know whether or not your vehicle is equipped with LoJack. This increases the likelihood of rapid recovery and minimal damage."

I would contact lojack and give them your vin, ask for removal advice. Removing it may actually be kind of stupid IMO because its registered to the vehicle and is a one time payment, not monthly. the unit will probably need.

"How do I know if my LoJack is working?
Your LoJack is tested and certified at the time of installation. We then recommend an inspection of your LoJack every two years. Inspections cost $79* and can be arranged by calling 1-800-4-LOJACK (1-800-456-5225).

*Pricing is subject to change without notice.

What do I do if I believe my LoJack requires service?
Call us at 1-800-4-LOJACK (1-800-456-5225) to schedule an inspection of your LoJack or to talk to a Customer Service Representative who can answer any questions you may have. For faster assistance, please make sure you have your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) at the time of the call. Your VIN number is located on your LoJack I.D. card or your vehicle registration.
"

"What happens when I sell my vehicle? Can I transfer my LoJack to my new vehicle?
Your LoJack Stolen Vehicle Recovery System is not transferable from one vehicle to another as the serial number on your LoJack Unit is registered to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of your vehicle. However, LoJack may enhance your vehicle's resale value."

Edit: mods, this topic should probably be closed since its answered in detail. My opinion. Thank you. and sorry.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89RS(other cars & pics in vBgarage)
Engine: LO3, 305 TBI Mildly Modified
Transmission: BakerBuilt 700R4 w/B&M Megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Auburn Pro Series LSD

heck i would pay or do something to find out if its in there......be nice to have, unless you are one that is scared to death of the "big brother watching you" stuff
Old 07-02-2008, 08:34 PM

they can't "watch" you, thats onstar.
Lojack is only "tracked" when you call the number thing, or police or something. and is RF not sattelite, should be both but yeah.

Anyway, the reason i rezzed the topic was because i'm researching alarms for both my cars, since i'm restoring the bird and they're easy to steal and the woman's zuki only has a OEM alarm. So the original poster has probably resolved this problem by now, but for everyone else, theres some lojack info.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

yea but some people still think of it as big brother LOL and want any thing that can track in anyway gone........they also wear aluminum foil hats to protect them from the government mind readers in space

anyway i got a ??? about it......now i know this is not 100% third gen but here goes

Can you buy a lojack and install it yourself?? i seen on the page that its installed by a certified tech. also has anyone used the motorcycle lojack and if so do they know how small the motorcycle unit is
Old 07-08-2008, 04:17 PM

No, it must be installed by a certified person and I found an estimate of $850 dollars. check the links I provided for questions. Thank you. I will be doing a custom kill and maybe the hood key kill thing.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Supreme Member

yea forget that........ i knew it was expensive, but i was thinking you could do it your self, o well not getting it for any of my rides.... i will stick with the alarms with the starter disable....thanks anyway
Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 PM

no prob, You should just shove your head under the dash and look around for a hidey hole.