Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Power window goes up but not down on one door.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power window goes up but not down on one door.

I will be taking the center console out again tomorrow, but I have read up on all of the window issues here, before posting this.

Basically, 86 trans am, had the car for a little while, power windows work perfect, then one day, the driver power window will not go down, but when you press up on the switch you can hear the click, but the windows already up so naturally it cannot go up, passenger side is fine, I swapped the two switches, passenger to driver and the driver side window works fine up and down.

So i figured ok its the switch, buy a new switch, works well for a few days, then it did the same thing again today, put windows up because it was very hot, put the ac on, drove for an hour, cooled down at night as I was driving, turned the ac off, tried to put it down and it wont go down, you can hear the click for up, and passenger side works perfect, previous owner has an express up and down module in there for the windows, which could be the problem and I am going to look into it tomorrow, I have not seen if the switch is blown again but I hope not, that means somethings blowing my down only on the switch.

But it seems odd that it would only be driver side window down, and driver side up works, as well as pass up and down, last switch when I took it off it was slightly burnt, figured it was just old and shorted out. Just curious if anyone has ran into an issue like this. Thanks in Advance!

UPDATE

The previous owner threw all the wiring in there and did not route it, one of the wires got stuck in the ebrake ratcheting mechanism lol, chewed it out and constantly grounded it, thanks for looking everyone.

Last edited by McNamee; 08-10-2011 at 08:52 PM.