Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Will a SRT8 HEMI 6.1 Fit in my 92 Camaro?????

Old 05-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Will a SRT8 HEMI 6.1 Fit in my 92 Camaro?????

The bottom line is i am getting a good deal for an srt8 Hemi 6.1 with transmission and when i say a good deal its like a steal.

I like the ls2 but at the deal i am getting i rather stick to the hemi.

the thing is that i have never heard anybody put one in a 92 camaro or any camaro before so that makes me a Little scared of trying to do the project.

if any of you guys know and can give me some pointers and help my assss out i would relay appreciate it.

I need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73
Re: Will a SRT8 HEMI 6.1 Fit in my 92 Camaro?????

Fab some mounts and check pan to K-member clearance. You may have to open up the trans tunnel if the new trans is much bigger than the 4L60

See if the hood will clear the stock intake. A low profile intake may be required along with the remaining swap parts

Figure out the exhaust system. Stock manifolds may work depending on the collector location. Any sort of header would be custom fabricated

Update the fuel system

Use a stand alone harness. Info on the hemi PCM/trans/supporting wiring is not common knowledge yet so DIY would be difficult at best

In the end it may see like you're saving money by going with a good deal on a different type of engine, but the engine itself is the cheap part. The parts to make it work are the real cost. Going with the LS2 and well known/documented/common parts is the better route. Use my swap as an example: I picked a 5.3L LSx because it was $200; cheap for a complete engine. It took nearly $1600 to make it ready to drop in with the necessary conversion pieces and another $600 in small bits to finish it up. Had i gone with a Fbody LS1 drop out I would have broken even or less and had a better motor
Old 05-13-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Not sure, gotta look it up

My buddy jammed a Hemi in a PT Cruiser. I'm sure you could shoe horn one into a '92 Camaro!

Name:  IMG_1318.jpg
Views: 4833
Size:  74.3 KB

Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 pontiac firebird
Engine: 6.5 turbo diesel
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: Ws6 axle

how complete is the engine will you get the wiring harness and computer as with it. it should fit in there the hard part will be the wiring. but if you can get the wiring harness and computers from the donor vehicle it shouldn't be to bad of a swap. just wire it up like the donor vehicle was. i say go for it. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/imag...s/thumbsup.gif
Old 05-13-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 87bluebird
how complete is the engine will you get the wiring harness and computer as with it. it should fit in there the hard part will be the wiring. but if you can get the wiring harness and computers from the donor vehicle it shouldn't be to bad of a swap. just wire it up like the donor vehicle was. i say go for it. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/imag...s/thumbsup.gif
Yea the thing is that there is no harness or computer. what should i do about that???
I heard that the wiring & computers to these hemi's are a bitch to setup!!

Last edited by lexz28o; 05-13-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by lexz28o
Yea the thing is that there is no harness or computer. what should i do about that???
I heard that the wiring & computers to these hemi's are a bitch to setup!!
talk to the guy your getting the engine from see if he will give the wires and computers. if not look around junkyards or on the net to see if you can find a full wiring harness and computer for that engine and trans. if you can't find one for a reasonable price then go for an ls2. this would be an interesting swap if you can get the wires and computers.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 PM

talk to the guy your getting the engine from see if he will give the wires and computers. if not look around junkyards or on the net to see if you can find a full wiring harness and computer for that engine and trans. if you can't find one for a reasonable price then go for an ls2. this would be an interesting swap if you can get the wires and computers.
Well i got to make it happen, and yea you are right it would be a very interesting swap, i think it would be a real rare camaro/hemi because to be honest i have never heard anyone do this swap for a third gen before.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by KnottyBuoyz
My buddy jammed a Hemi in a PT Cruiser. I'm sure you could shoe horn one into a '92 Camaro!

thats one pistoff PT
Old 05-13-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pocket
Fab some mounts and check pan to K-member clearance. You may have to open up the trans tunnel if the new trans is much bigger than the 4L60

See if the hood will clear the stock intake. A low profile intake may be required along with the remaining swap parts

Figure out the exhaust system. Stock manifolds may work depending on the collector location. Any sort of header would be custom fabricated

Update the fuel system

Use a stand alone harness. Info on the hemi PCM/trans/supporting wiring is not common knowledge yet so DIY would be difficult at best

In the end it may see like you're saving money by going with a good deal on a different type of engine, but the engine itself is the cheap part. The parts to make it work are the real cost. Going with the LS2 and well known/documented/common parts is the better route. Use my swap as an example: I picked a 5.3L LSx because it was $200; cheap for a complete engine. It took nearly $1600 to make it ready to drop in with the necessary conversion pieces and another $600 in small bits to finish it up. Had i gone with a Fbody LS1 drop out I would have broken even or less and had a better motor
I understand your point and its a good one but to me it dose not fully apply.

The engine HEMI 6.1 is complete i mean everything that make's it run except for the harness and cpu other then that its got it all, my hood is 4'' taller then the original i got a fiberglass hood so i think the intake should be fine as is but as for the oil pan im not sure nor the transmission tunnel.

My plan is to strip this car down to the bone and restore it from a-z
So its fine if i have to modify some things but i just need to find out what i need to edit on the car to make these things work.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, you probably won't be able to get much help with this swap on this forum since there probably aren't alot of people that have even looked at the 6.1 Hemi, but I would be willing to bet that you can take what it costs to put an LSx series motor in a 3rd gen and maybe and about 3-4k more for it.

I'm with Pocket on this one, buy the Hemi and then sell it off for more to someone who needs it for their truck to replace a blown one with and put a good 5.3 or 6.0 GM motor in it.

If the motor doesn't have the wiring or PCM, then it isn't complete, you'll have to look at possibly making a custom oil pan, motor mounts, transmission crossmember, driveshaft, cooling system, then trying to find out the wiring pinouts on the motor and wiring it into the 3rd gen dash harness, possibly going with custom gauges so they'll all work, if you can get the complete motor for 200-300 bucks I would say go for it, but if it's going to be more than that, I would ditch the idea completely.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 357, Canfield heads, solid roller,
Transmission: Upgraded 03 Cobra T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.50 gears and Detroit Locker

First off, I hope you can weld good becuase your going to be making all kinds of stuff. Also there is no real help anyone can give becuase I doubt anyone has done this before. Its going to be a "figure it out as you go" sorta thing.

If your a decent fabricator getting it in the car may not be extremely hard but the wiring and making it run would be the worst part. The first thing I would do is to search the web for some detailed measurements of the engine and trans and then start measuring your car to see how well it will fit. Also getting a computer may be more difficult than you think. Some of the newer cars use multiple computers to run things. Its not just one PCM to run everything like the older cars. I too vote for selling it and getting an LSx.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 PM

Car: 99 Z28 / 68 Skylark
Engine: LS1 / 455

Pocket/Klortho hit the nail on the head, grab the engine for the steal your getting it, and then sell it for what its worth. You'll be way ahead on a LSX swap.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:25 AM

you guys do make a real fine point.

in my hart i want to try and be unique, because the hemi is a real good engine. but i just dont want to waist my time and it dose not fit.

I tried to look for measurements or at least to see if the engine and trany in bigger then the ls engine and trany but i was unsuccessful in finding a comparison. Help if you can thx.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:36 AM

If you want Lex I can give you the name of the fella that did the Hemi swap in the PT Cruiser. You can give him a call. He's a very very talented and experienced mechanic and does a number of cross over swaps a year. I'm sure he can give you some insight into what you're getting yourself into. PM me if you're interested.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:21 AM
Supreme Member

because the hemi is a real good engine.
actually the late model Hemi isn't that good an engine, it puts out the same hp, but the gas milage really sucks on them, there's another thing to consider as well.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:05 PM

I tried to look for measurements or at least to see if the engine and trany in bigger then the ls engine and trany but i was unsuccessful in finding a comparison. Help if you can thx.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

2004 Hemi specifications (courtesy Cole Quinnell)

Bore x Stroke 3.92 x 3.58 in, 99.5 x 90.9 mm
Valve System pushrod, 16-valve, hydraulic roller lifters
Block Construction cast iron, deep skirt, cross-bolted main caps
Centerline of crank to head deck face 9.3 inches
Centerline of crank to centerline of cam 7.4 inches
Centerline of crank to oil pan rail 2.6 inches
Overall block maximum deck width at deck face 18.3 inches
Overall block height from
oil pan rail to top of water outlet 15.4 inches
Overall engine length 21.1 inches
Compression Ratio 9.6:1
Combustion chamber volume 84.9cc
Intake valve angle 18 degrees
Intake valve head diameter 50.8mm, 2.00 inches
Exhaust valve angle 16y.5 degrees
Exhaust valve head diameter 39.4mm, 1.55 inches
Oil Capacity 7 qt., 6.6L
Weight (includes induction, wiring harness,
auto-trans flexplate and exhaust manifolds,
but not accessories) 485 lbs
Ignition Two spark plugs per cylinder
Old 05-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

A picture of dimisions I found on the LSx series motors

Old 05-14-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Klortho
2004 Hemi specifications (courtesy Cole Quinnell)

Bore x Stroke 3.92 x 3.58 in, 99.5 x 90.9 mm
Valve System pushrod, 16-valve, hydraulic roller lifters
Block Construction cast iron, deep skirt, cross-bolted main caps
Centerline of crank to head deck face 9.3 inches
Centerline of crank to centerline of cam 7.4 inches
Centerline of crank to oil pan rail 2.6 inches
Overall block maximum deck width at deck face 18.3 inches
Overall block height from
oil pan rail to top of water outlet 15.4 inches
Overall engine length 21.1 inches
Compression Ratio 9.6:1
Combustion chamber volume 84.9cc
Intake valve angle 18 degrees
Intake valve head diameter 50.8mm, 2.00 inches
Exhaust valve angle 16y.5 degrees
Exhaust valve head diameter 39.4mm, 1.55 inches
Oil Capacity 7 qt., 6.6L
Weight (includes induction, wiring harness,
auto-trans flexplate and exhaust manifolds,
but not accessories) 485 lbs
Ignition Two spark plugs per cylinder
Thanks,
But i do have a few questions like what is the overall size how tall is this complete engine and how tall is the complete ls2 how wide are they, is there a real difference in actual size when they are side by side?? will the trany shifter hit in the same spot as an ls2 transmission would.

thats why i want to find out about size because if they are very similar in size then it should not be very hard. im not sure where the trany shifter is going to be will it be in a good spot!!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:10 PM

A picture of dimisions I found on the LSx series motors

You are very resourceful i thak you for your help.

now all i need is the same thing for the srt8 hemi 6.1 engine and the ls2 trany and the srt8 hemi 6.1 trany, and then we would all know what it is in real fact, and a lot of other people out there will learn from what you have done here today.

Thank You.
For Offering Camaro Lovers New Possibility's.

Last edited by lexz28o; 05-14-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc

There is probably a reason why noone has put a hemi in a Camaro already......unique isnt always good. I vote you sell it, take the cash you make and sink it into something that isn't going to fry your brain trying to figure out how to do it.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by travis401
There is probably a reason why noone has put a hemi in a Camaro already......unique isnt always good. I vote you sell it, take the cash you make and sink it into something that isn't going to fry your brain trying to figure out how to do it.
Well i will make it look like an auto show car when i am done with this camaro and it will look unique and be unique in every way if i put a hemi in it also.

im not on a small buget here. its not about the money 1,2,3,4, thousand extra wont mean to much when you are like 30,000 in, i have a cl 63 amg interior with all operational panals seats and a super super top of the line bass system and to top it off mad super voice competition status alll around in the inside of my car also got 4 tvs and a pioneer z1 head unit voice activated.
and thats just some small s**t not to metion all the custom panels and body work big boy break system front and back with ABS unit added and a crap load more, Boyd rims expensive 20''s, suspension all custom.

and i have a super paint job that is waiting to be done.
AND A CRAP LOAD MORE!!!!!!!! ("I WOULD MAKE THIS THREAD LOOK LIKE A PARTS LIST THAT WOULD MAKE YOU SCROLL TIL TOMORROW")

So please people if you can and are capable of helping me out with the specs i require please do so.

Thank You.

Last edited by lexz28o; 05-15-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:11 AM

I was looking at my buddies SRT8 challenger last night. I didn't have anything to measure the height of the engine but I'd guestimate 32-33" from the bottom of the oilpan to the top of the intake plenum. I'll ask him to measure it next week if no one else can come up with some numbers.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by KnottyBuoyz
I was looking at my buddies SRT8 challenger last night. I didn't have anything to measure the height of the engine but I'd guestimate 32-33" from the bottom of the oilpan to the top of the intake plenum. I'll ask him to measure it next week if no one else can come up with some numbers.
Thank You.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 PM

i talked to a company that sell both ls's and hemi's and they said the diffrance in the 6.1 hemi's is that there are two types ones for the jeep have diffrent headers and bigger oil pan the other hemi's have regular size.

They told me the only thing im going to need is custom headers and exhaust that's it.
They said the hemi and ls 2 are like brothers in actual size and do not have a significant difference and the tranys are also similar in size and the shifter should hit the same spot as a t56 trany with an ls 2 would.

So in The End YES IT WILL FIT.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 PM

i talked to a company that sell both ls's and hemi's and they said the diffrance in the 6.1 hemi's is that there are two types ones for the jeep have diffrent headers and bigger oil pan the other hemi's have regular size.

They told me the only thing im going to need is custom headers and exhaust that's it.
They said the hemi and ls 2 are like brothers in actual size and do not have a significant difference and the tranys are also similar in size and the shifter should hit the same spot as a t56 trany with an ls 2 would.

so does that mean your gonna put the hemi in your car. did you ever find a wiring harness and computer.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:50 PM

so does that mean your gonna put the hemi in your car. did you ever find a wiring harness and computer.
both for 600$
Old 06-16-2010, 11:12 PM

Car: 91 RS/ QX56/Altima 3.5 SE
Engine: 305
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: ?

both for 600$
any updates ?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:38 PM

yo whatever happened with this?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 AM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none

Shoulda stuck it in a '79-'93 Mustang.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:35 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 -> 383 Stroker
Transmission: T5 -> T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Posi

i guess it didnt work! lol
Old 07-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1994 Z28
Engine: 355 LT1
Axle/Gears: 3.42

You can fit just about any motor in any car with enough fabrication... I've seen big blocks in geos, the dash and seats were pushed back very far.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 PM

Car: 84 Z28 / 11 genesis coupe
Engine: 355/210 heads/275deh/Proform 750 DP
Transmission: 700r4/B&M 2400
Axle/Gears: 02, allu.axle, 3.42, posi

Hemi? i would like to know if this swap had success i have a 5.7 in the garage all ready, it's a spare for the truck but if it's easy I'll stick it in the Camaro
Attached Thumbnails Will a SRT8 HEMI 6.1 Fit in my 92 Camaro?????-snc10930s.jpg  
Old 07-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Car: '82 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 31 spline 9" with 4.56:1

I haven't put one in a Camaro yet, but I have stuffed a 5.7 in a '36 Plymouth and another in a '27 roadster on Deuce rails. They are fairly common dimensionally, and quite similar to a sbc... Engine mounts are easy, takes a four bolt plate on the block to adapt to whatever mount you care to use. Have a guy here locally who does an excellent job on converting the wire harness, he does say to use only the '05 and newer engine as they have the single ECM and make the wiring much easier... BTW, with fabricated headers and dyno exhaust on an otherwise stock 5.7 we did 408 horse and 420 torque on our "check out the harness" pull on the engine dyno! As a further note, there are some aftermarket heads available for them, too.

Lots more I could say about them, but not much reason to on a 3rd Gen Forum!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:40 AM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none

Actually, there are no aftermarket heads, only aftermarket-ported stock heads. Big difference.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:00 AM

http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/
this is the place to go if you whant to beaff up your hemi Stu is the guy to talk to.
I have a 04 Dodge Ram quad cab 4x4 didn't dyno yet but it should have 100 horses over stock, there are all kinds of tricks to go fast with this engines but tune still a bit limited

Last edited by camarito; 07-03-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Oh, i forgot http://www.krcperformance.com/ they have some of the fastest SRT8's on the road
Old 07-03-2010, 08:23 PM

Car: '82 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 31 spline 9" with 4.56:1

Originally Posted by Atilla the Fun
Actually, there are no aftermarket heads, only aftermarket-ported stock heads. Big difference.
Well, excuse my phrasing.... I saw a pair of the Arrington's the other day, the are not an aftermarket casting, and yes they are a factory casting....but after that there is very little resembleance to stock...

So, excuse my phrasing and I don't really see that it is a "big difference"--the casting itself is great from the factory, but the aftermarket CNC work is superb!!!!

So, thanks for correcting my poor, poor choice of wording!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:26 AM

Sorry guys i didn't buy the hemi because it was a pain in the neck if i had my own garage then i would have got it.
to much fabrication and the oil filter would be impossible to change once the engine was in.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 379 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

actually the late model Hemi isn't that good an engine, it puts out the same hp, but the gas milage really sucks on them, there's another thing to consider as well.
Apparantly you don't know the modern Hemi that well.....I still get 18 MPG highway on 20s and run 8.90s on drag radials in the 1/8 with a 5,300 lbs truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OjA5nq-BjQ
Old 12-12-2017, 11:58 AM

Car: 73 Trans Am
Engine: 455
Transmission: 4 speed
Axle/Gears: 323

The bottom line is i am getting a good deal for an srt8 Hemi 6.1 with transmission and when i say a good deal its like a steal.

I like the ls2 but at the deal i am getting i rather stick to the hemi.

the thing is that i have never heard anybody put one in a 92 camaro or any camaro before so that makes me a Little scared of trying to do the project.

if any of you guys know and can give me some pointers and help my assss out i would relay appreciate it.

I need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU.
Did you ever do the swap. Just saw this thread while I am doing research ... I am going to buy an 04 hemi ram and was thinking of swapping into my 86 IROC...
Thank you. Ron. 8045141105
Old 12-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird, 77 Trans Am SE, 86 Z28
Engine: 5.7 HSR, T/A 6.6, empty
Transmission: T-5, TH350, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi, 3.23 posi, 3.23

Judging by post #39, no. I personally think it's a lot of effort for only a "unique" return.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:06 AM

I wouldn't. While the LS has been done to death and beyond, and while the Hemi is on par with the LS in most ways, the Hemi is going to cost more, there's no aluminum block version, the Ram transmission adds more challenges and cost, switching to a T56 or 4L60E can be done but at more cost. All it's good for is showing off fabrication skills. It probably won't upset anyone, except the few Mopar guys who can't afford any "new" Hemi.
You could buy an '04 VortexMAX Silverado 1500 for about the same money, and it comes with slightly better output and a useful transmission. Direct bolt-in. Boring, but easier and cheaper, you can be driving it sooner.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ;4548050

How did you go im thinking of a 6.4 into a camaro 1986? no one here in Australia has done this conversion? thoughts...
Old 01-14-2023, 07:10 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L

I think the SRT Hemi engine and the LS3 are pretty much on par mod for mod. Both great performing engines, but the LS3 is sooooooo much easier to swap into a 3rd gen!