Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Pipe connected to my exhaust has rusted, not sure what it is...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pipe connected to my exhaust has rusted, not sure what it is...

1992 camaro rs

Well recently one of the pipes connected to my exhaust rusted out and fell apart. My muffler is in my trunk right now and I am trying to figure out the name of the part that I need in order to reattach my muffler.

It's coming out the back end of the muffler and heads toward the middle of the car. It looks like it is supposed to have soem bends in it to allow it to make it's way to the front of the car? I'm not sure if it is called a y-pipe? Would appreciate it if any verification could be made. Thanks

http://www.shbox.com/1/exhaust_system.jpg in that picture it's not a 92 but it shows a pipe that looks similar. NUMBER 8 is the pipe that rusted out. If anyone could link me the name and where I can purchase one I'f appreciate it. Also, if this part is expensive would I be better off just redoing the whole exhaust?

Last edited by SPMarx; 02-14-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: Pipe connected to my exhaust has rusted, not sure what it is...

That is the intermediate pipe between the catalytic converter & the muffler.

The y-pipe would be #1.....Appropriately named for its Y construction.

As to where to find a stock replacement.....I dunno. Any local exhaust shop should be able to make or order one.

Chances are, there is some amount of rust on the rest of it, as well as the muffler itself. By the time you replace just the intermediate pipe, it might be only a few dollars more, to by a whole brand new cat-back system. Intermediate pipe, muffler & tail pies.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen
That is the intermediate pipe between the catalytic converter & the muffler.

The y-pipe would be #1.....Appropriately named for its Y construction.

As to where to find a stock replacement.....I dunno. Any local exhaust shop should be able to make or order one.

Chances are, there is some amount of rust on the rest of it, as well as the muffler itself. By the time you replace just the intermediate pipe, it might be only a few dollars more, to by a whole brand new cat-back system. Intermediate pipe, muffler & tail pies.
Awesome thanks for this info, Well the muffler is new and the tail pipes are good as well, not sure about the cat-back system, not sure exactly what that is. But from what I can see the intermediate pipe is the only thing that looks rusted to me. Where would I find the cat-back system in order to check if it is rusted or not?
Old 02-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by SPMarx
Awesome thanks for this info, Well the muffler is new and the tail pipes are good as well, not sure about the cat-back system, not sure exactly what that is. But from what I can see the intermediate pipe is the only thing that looks rusted to me. Where would I find the cat-back system in order to check if it is rusted or not?
Cat-back refers to EVERYTHING from the catalytic (cat) converter & behind (back) it. (intermediate pipe/muffler/tail pipes)

Sounds like you only need the intermediate pipe, if the muffler & tail pipes are new though.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: '82 Recaro T/A, '71 Trans Am
Engine: 305CFI/455HO
Transmission: TH700R4/M22
Axle/Gears: 3.23/3.42

Intermediate pipe. Walker Part #47572 (V8) or 47580 (V6). I quick search on the web looks like they go for around $32 plus shipping.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:34 PM

Car: 1992 Trans Am Convertiable
Engine: 305 5.0l
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Originally Posted by Stephen
Cat-back refers to EVERYTHING from the catalytic (cat) converter & behind (back) it. (intermediate pipe/muffler/tail pipes)

Sounds like you only need the intermediate pipe, if the muffler & tail pipes are new though.

I have a flow master 3'" cat-back in my '92 trans am convertible, with edelbrock headers, the (I think its called Y-pipe) that connects the two headers together is badly damaged, and I'm missing my mid pipe, the car has the cat removed so I have a pipe to fit its place, I just don't know how to get a part number, or anything on those two pipes, I've been looking all over the internet for months now with no luck. Can someone please help?