Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Got bumper in first prime(Knight Rider)

Old 05-23-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got bumper in first prime(Knight Rider)

I thought I'd post some pics of my front nose I recieved from Rob Louisell.... I did some priming and a little more work to the snout section of the nose, made it look more smiley looking(I know CRAZY knight rider people) , but KITT in my eyes had a little more smiley going on.. anyway... here's an original shot of KITT from the side.....

and here is mine in first prime....

Here is a 2nd season nose shot which was missing the turn signal plexiglass for the turn signals ( or as Knight Rider people say, the droopy nose) some like that nose , while others prefer the plexi over it... i prefer the plexi... My plexi has not come in yet so I made some mock up cardboard pieces... had to have something to visualize...but here is the 2nd season nose , The lines of the snout are still visible here...

When shooting my pics, the sun was behind me, so the snout's depth is not very visible, but you can see the lines good, so anyway, here's mine....

I just was excited again about this ride... it's getting closer by the year... yep that's what it feels like.... anyway... thanks for looking ... as you can tell , I've been having fun.... just call my ride the , bondo mobile......engine bay , then this? AHHHH!!!!

Thanks
marc
Old 05-24-2008, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Got bumper in first prime(Knight Rider)

That looks really cool.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Kitt
Engine: Classified
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Moser/4:11

Hmm...have you seen the Knight Passions nose? That's the only one on the market that has the 'smile'..until yours.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM

Yey, i studied and studied , that... and your right, Joao, (Knight Passions) has a Phat a$$ nose... His is awesome and to every degree , correct... Rob's Looks the part to me, except it's missing the smile... which I added to mine, His overall lines are perfect...but is missing the smile , which is more on the bottom half of the nose than the top.... This nose was also in conjunction with Michael Scheffe to recreate the original idea of the nose... Rob and him worked together on this one.... Michael Scheffe is the original designer of KITT... I also have Rob's dash which I love... during (I think)the 2nd season, Universal took over the noses and created the nose that Joao's nose recreates... Rob's noses are more like the pilot episode and the very first couple of show's... but I am doing with Rob's nose what I think is my interpretation of what I remember, and that(smiley) is what I remember.... Although , you could just block his new nose out and it would be fine, I'm just very @n@l about this car... It's my last resto(per Wifey) that I'm doing ,so i'm making it the best I can and precise as I can.. thanks for looking ... and sorry so long

Thanks
Marc
Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 PM

I got an 83 Trans Am that I am painting black and keeping stock on exterior, the car isnt even black yet and already the knight rider jokes are comin in, how do you stand those or do you just use it at shows?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM

i haven't even got to the point of show yet... everything is still in primer.. I get them all the time already.. most people are like , yey , right, your building what? yey right? that's normally what I get... I don't mind the jokes because I personally really like Knight Rider and that IS the main reason that I'm into trans ams... i've had plenty of trans ams , but I keep going back to 3rd gens.. I've previously owned 4 3rd gens.. and 4 4th gens and 2 2nd gens... The 3rd is still my favorite because of Knight rider and I also have a 1980 Trans am , just because I like smokey and the bandit.. I get those jokes also.. so i quess if I had a delorean, I'd get back to the future jokes? I'd just deal with people saying stuff and if you really like the car than do what you want to it... it's yours... quit worrying about what people say... That has never bothered me... thanks for the reply and looking...

Thanks
marc
Old 06-04-2008, 02:41 AM

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

thats awesome where u from
Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 AM

I'm from North Carolina... i'll have some new pics up today sometime.. got bumper in another priming... anyway.... Looks better when both sides done anyway, thanks

Marc
Old 06-05-2008, 02:27 AM

Re: Got bumper in first prime(Knight Rider)(new pics)6-4-08

Just thought I'd share some pics of my whole bumper in first prime... i thought it turned out great!... i added a little smile to KITT's bumper, just excited, by the way, I think I'll just make this my fab page for this car... anyway, here is the original:

here's mine!

Here's a closeup

anyway... just thought I'd share the excitement I had.. Can't wait to get this thing in paint now... I think it's going to look killer... anyway , thanks for lookin, and peace out!

Marc
Old 09-10-2008, 02:09 PM

Car: 83 Pontiac Trans Am Recaro
Engine: Crossfire 350
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 4.10 posi
Re: Got bumper in first prime(Knight Rider)(new pics)6-4-08

If I'd seen this thread I wouldn't have posted my own about the Knight Nose... I'm wanting to do the same only without the scanner light bar... Was there alot of modification required to mount the nose.. and where did you get it from... love the look..!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 PM

Car: 86 TRANS AM
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt/3.73

Are you guys going to mock up the interior also?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:45 AM

Car: 89 Firebird Formula
Engine: chevy 5.7 V8 TBI but carbed soon
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: no freakin clue lol

GREAT JOB MAN!!!!!! I BEING A CHILD OF THE 80S I ALSO GREW UP WATCHING KNIGHT RIDER AND FALLING IN LOVE WITH THE THIRD GEN BIRDS. I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED K.A.R.R. OVER K.I.T.T LOL. I REMEMBER WATCHING THE EPSIODE WITH K.A.R.R WHEN K.I.T.T SAID THAT HE IS GOING TO GIVE TRANS AMS A BAD NAME LOL
Old 10-26-2008, 11:03 AM

Car: 1983 Z-28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: ?

Originally Posted by DirtyCanadian
I got an 83 Trans Am that I am painting black and keeping stock on exterior, the car isnt even black yet and already the knight rider jokes are comin in, how do you stand those or do you just use it at shows?
I've got a black 89 w/ the power bulge hood and t tops.

To deal with Knightrider jokes, I did what any mature adult would do....I made the Knightrider theme song my ringtone.

duh dada daaaa, duh da da daaa, dodo do do
Old 12-21-2008, 09:08 PM

I just want to show you all of my progress I've done on this bumper.... The reason that I've not shown in awhile is because I've been reconstructing this whole bumper... from bottom to top... I really like the first episode of Knight Rider and I started messing .... I still didn't like it, so I moved on to another step... adding glass

Name:  addingglassweb.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  41.3 KB

then, after this... I got the original measurements from an original that was in California at the time.. So , I fiberglassed the back side and did some chopping.

before:
Name:  marcsknightrider194-2.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  13.1 KB

after:
Name:  cuttingoffthenosetogetmeasuremen-1.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  25.8 KB

I was trying to get the original measurements.
Name:  frontofscannerflat.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  47.7 KB

CONTINUED ,next reply
Old 12-21-2008, 09:10 PM

So I had to do alot more....Here's when I was working on the spoiler area and the fog area...I made the fog area to the specs of the original.. and made it more deep.....

Name:  addingmoreglass-1.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  37.6 KB
Name:  bottomsnoutweb.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  59.2 KB

Now the bad part is , is that I'm going to have to mock the whole other side ...make it exactly the same...so I made the templates and started raising the areas with glass....

Name:  gettingtopwithoutdripping-1.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  26.7 KB

Got this side done....after months of aggrevation, I finally got it like the other side and got it in first prime....

Name:  netpicsideview2.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  15.0 KB
Old 12-21-2008, 09:12 PM

Continued from last post

Here is a comparison of the original and mine....NO , I'm not saying look what I've done...I'm not like that.... But look at the differences....first the before and after of when I got the bumper

Name:  linesbefore.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  13.7 KB
Name:  Linesafter.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  18.1 KB

Now here is the actual Knight rider show car and a comparison of mine

Mine
Name:  netpicsideview2.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  15.0 KB

the real one from Knight of the Phoenix(first episode)
Name:  frontofscannerflat.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  47.7 KB
Old 12-21-2008, 09:14 PM

continued from last post

After I found the lines and the measurements were on... Now it was time to fix a couple of eye sores....the bottom was NOT straight from fender to fender...so I added bondo to the bottom....and braced the backside so it wouldn't flex anymore

Name:  backsideafterbilliysweb.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  53.2 KB

Fixed a couple of lines

Name:  linesofscannerweb.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  46.8 KB

Then I primed it one more time...
Name:  lastattachment-web2frontalscanner.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  30.4 KB

Now it was ready for some paint... I shot this and , MAN what a difference blk makes

Name:  angledpaintedweb-1.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  42.3 KB

Anway... that was why I've not posted in a long while... Been very busy with this monster of a project.. but the end result was worth it... Now , I know that someone is going to ask, " Is it heavy?" Oh yes try over a 100 LBs..so , not only am I screwed, now I have to find someone to mold it. I've been looking for someone that does handlaid fiberglass... not alot of people that do it like this anymore.. I did try a fellow Knight Rider conversionist, but that did not go thru ... He does hand fiberglass...loved his work, but that wasn't helping me out ...but I did gain a very good friend in the mean time... So now I'm just looking for someone while starting back on my engine bay...Just so you all can have a comparison shot... Here is a comparison pic

Name:  comparisonsweb.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  90.9 KB
Old 12-21-2008, 09:16 PM

continued from last post

I do want to thank everybody that helped me with this and I don't know what the future brings , but I hope the new year does alot... Here's a couple more shots ...I'm out of here , sorry so long...just wanted to show what I did this whole year... Thanks for lookin, now , I've got to go get on the engine bay

Name:  angledpeelniceshotthoughweb.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  wetshotanglednobuffweb.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  webaboveshot.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  42.2 KB

and my favorite

Name:  Stelladevil1.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  34.6 KB

thanks again and hope you all liked this... I sure haven't....Just jokin...now back to the regular scheduled program, that engine bay
Name:  afterprimer007.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  47.5 KB

marc

Last edited by Marc Brown; 12-21-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

wat did u do to the engine bay to get it that clean? looks as ive u welded up the pass side tray where the charcole canister once sat, as well as the openings for the side fender have also bee covered up. u also filled in the holes alonf the front subframe as well as the holes for the over flow tank, and blended in the strut tower cap.

now did u weld these up or just body puddy? those lines where the charcole canister are really clean and straight almost looks fake lol. good job
Old 12-21-2008, 10:44 PM

No , I welded it all... I welded a pan in the battery tray area... This side took about a month and a 1/2 , if not more to complete... I'm now doing the firewall and wiper area...making everything seamless.... Here's a pic of the passenger side while welding...

Name:  KRTurbopicsmockuppart1082.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  48.2 KB

Hope this helps... Here's the bondo...what a mess though

Name:  KRTurbopicsmockuppart1101.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  36.7 KB

I wouldn't suggest this pain and suffering on anybody... but the end result is cool... but very painful on the back... but yes , everything is welded..holes and all... Thanks for lookin

Marc
Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM

Car: 1990 RS/2000 Z28
Engine: 5.0/5.7
Transmission: 4L60/4L60E
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt/3.23

I'm loving it!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM

Car: 90 Formula -- tot resto in progress
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4 w/ 2500 stall, by Owen @ ARD
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi disc

K-R jokes be d*****!, that is an awesome looking piece of work.
I see all the work you put in, but I'm not clear on what was the
starting point. Can you identify the original vendor? I'd like to
see the original & price.

thanks,
kk
Old 01-22-2009, 03:57 PM

The original bumper was out of mold , and at first I liked it... I thought it looked good until I put the hood on. The lines DID NOT line up like the Scheffe(original designer) bumper was suppose to. So, I took it on myself to make it right. Rob Louisell made the bumper. The bumper was originally a 4th season bumper that he rounded out and called his own. ... well, not really.... the 4th season bumper molds are still out there and alot of vendors make them. There is only a couple in the hobby that I trust with the glass work and alignment... My bumper WILL be available and will be of top notch hand laid fiberglass. Rob's are choppered (meaning used by a gun and have more resin in them than glass.. I say, look around , but there are other vendors in the Knight Rider community to buy from. again, mine will be available very soon. My lines are the measurements from an original bumper... so, That's what I used to give my bumper it's own look... I would say that there is NO line on the bumper that is Rob Louisell's bumper...not even the fender to nose...that changed also... I worked on this bumper for over a year and I'm very happy about it. Can't wait to get one in final glass. Go to this web board and you can see my entire build... Thanks for looking... And also go in the body section of this forum...I have pics there also

http://www.knightregistries.com/forum/index.php

Here's one of the best in the hobby fiberglass wise and bumper wise
http://www.wraithinnovations.com/knight.html

Interior , I'd go to one of these
http://www.knightdesigns.org/
or
http://www.adiautotech.com/
Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am KR Edition
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Automatic

What Part of NC you from marc? I'm doing a KITT replica as well. Maybe we could share some tips.

Thanks

Jimmy