Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Tube chassis/front end (firewall on up)... Lets see pics (need references)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: have a 92 camaro rs...in pieces
Engine: none now...probably 383 stroker
Transmission: none yet
Axle/Gears: none
Tube chassis/front end (firewall on up)... Lets see pics (need references)

Any of you guys have pics of tube front ends? From the firewall on up. I'd like to see what all you guys have done. Kept wheel wells or cut em out, how bars were routed, rad supports, etc, etc. I will eventually be adding some bars under the hood. Need pics for reference and ideas. Feel free to throw in tube chassis pics if ya want. Can never have too many references. So whatcha got??? I'll start it off with one I found....

Old 01-21-2012, 12:26 AM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: Tube chassis/front end (firewall on up)... Lets see pics (need references)

That car was designed for a tilt front end. It still uses OEM framerails so it isn't technically a tube chassis front end. The inner fenders were removed for the look of having a tilt front end and the strut towers were attached to the new tubes over them. Very few people have done a full tube frame front clip on a third gen because of how the unibody is designed.

Basically cut the entire front end off the car at the firewall and buy a tube chassis front clip and graft it on. Nothing from the original suspension or steering will be reused.

Then do a back half to the car. By the time you're done, it's cheaper to just buy an entire tube chassis kit and build from the ground up.

Third gens are not as easy as first and second gens to do a tube chassis front end. Just too much sheet metal all welded together to make the body/frame.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:50 AM

It still uses OEM framerails so it isn't technically a tube chassis front end.
I know, just wasn't sure on what to call it exactly.
Basically cut the entire front end off the car at the firewall and buy a tube chassis front clip and graft it on. Nothing from the original suspension or steering will be reused.
Well I'm not completely sure on what I want to do yet... Someone suggested I just run the forward bars off the cage through the firewall and tie it to the frame up front and call it a day). I just really like the clean look. Technically I still have yet to check the rules and see what they allow (whatever class I race in). I just wanna see some pics of different setups.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro RS/ 1992 Camaro z28
Engine: 383 Stroker/ ls3 e-rod
Transmission: borge warner t-56/ tremech t-56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.55/ dayna 44(viper) 3.07

Now to do this would i have to tie my cage into my upper frame rails like this guy did or could i still keep the general structual integrity if i keep my cage the way it is running through the firewall tieing into my dash bar.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Car: 00' rcsb
Engine: Little boosted 5.3
Transmission: 4l80e

I did mine the same basic way, used stock front frame rails and cut everything else out and built it to what i needed
Attached Thumbnails Tube chassis/front end (firewall on up)... Lets see pics (need references)-100_0800.jpg   Tube chassis/front end (firewall on up)... Lets see pics (need references)-294472_230967076961687_100001451896681_667327_2109354713_n.jpg   Tube chassis/front end (firewall on up)... Lets see pics (need references)-314568_230967296961665_100001451896681_667328_2143208676_n.jpg  
Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 AM

Nice. Looks good 1983sc. Got any more without the engine installed?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:50 AM
Supreme Member

Look up Chris Alston's Chassisworks.

http://www.cachassisworks.com/

http://www.cachassisworks.com/downlo...BG_300_WEB.pdf

BUT before we go there.Key question.How much money do you have to spend??.Also sometimes in these economic times it is cheaper to buy a roller from someone who ran out of money and have most of the work done with good parts.

Last edited by 1gary; 04-17-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

What kind of ticks me off alittle is I just ask some hard questions and the O/P ends up MIA.Damm it where is the commitment to the project??.If that is all it takes to discourage a guy from following threw with a project,got wonder if he was very serious in the first place.

One of the biggest joke is a "sub and tub" in a wkend.Yepper the comic books have published articles like that before.Tig welded no less...........

Look,it takes time and a fair amount of work to weld these things together.Unless your willing.......................your not going to get-er-done.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 AM

Car: 00' rcsb
Engine: Little boosted 5.3
Transmission: 4l80e

here are a few more without the motor
Attached Thumbnails Tube chassis/front end (firewall on up)... Lets see pics (need references)-100_0795.jpg   Tube chassis/front end (firewall on up)... Lets see pics (need references)-100_0796.jpg   Tube chassis/front end (firewall on up)... Lets see pics (need references)-100_0799.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 AM

What kind of ticks me off alittle is I just ask some hard questions and the O/P ends up MIA.
Just chill'ax and take a deep breath.... I'm not MIA just been busy with work and school. Now in regards to your previous post...
BUT before we go there.Key question.How much money do you have to spend??.Also sometimes in these economic times it is cheaper to buy a roller from someone who ran out of money and have most of the work done with good parts.
RIght now a few thousand... I'm not getting a roller regardless of price being cheap.
Damm it where is the commitment to the project??.If that is all it takes to discourage a guy from following threw with a project,got wonder if he was very serious in the first place
. Believe me, the commitment is there. Talk to anyone that knows me and they'll tell you that my attention to detail and passion in regards to my car, is in a matter speaking... somewhat UNHEALTHY. Hence why I won't buy a finished roller... WHY? I'll tell you why. Cause I'm committed to doing every thing on this car with my own 2 hands... There's my commitment. Because every weld needs to be perfect... Looks wise and functionally. Recently signed up for welding classes to better hone in my skills and be able to lay down the infamous dime beads and get more experience with TIG welding... Another perfect example of my commitment... If I lay down a weld and it doesn't meet my satisfaction, I will grind it down and do it again until it's PERFECT. There's my commitment. SO, yea.. Now back to the topic at hand. For the most part, I don't wanna buy finished products... It's all about learning to FAB it myself.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:45 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by weaz4200
Just chill'ax and take a deep breath.... I'm not MIA just been busy with work and school. Now in regards to your previous post... RIght now a few thousand... I'm not getting a roller regardless of price being cheap. . Believe me, the commitment is there. Talk to anyone that knows me and they'll tell you that my attention to detail and passion in regards to my car, is in a matter speaking... somewhat UNHEALTHY. Hence why I won't buy a finished roller... WHY? I'll tell you why. Cause I'm committed to doing every thing on this car with my own 2 hands... There's my commitment. Because every weld needs to be perfect... Looks wise and functionally. Recently signed up for welding classes to better hone in my skills and be able to lay down the infamous dime beads and get more experience with TIG welding... Another perfect example of my commitment... If I lay down a weld and it doesn't meet my satisfaction, I will grind it down and do it again until it's PERFECT. There's my commitment. SO, yea.. Now back to the topic at hand. For the most part, I don't wanna buy finished products... It's all about learning to FAB it myself.
The reason why aside from some of the work being done to buy a incomplete roller is it does at times come with good parts like struts we would never buy new to build our own.We do follow the money on these projects and have had profited from the resale having more money for the next one.That means more of ourselfs in each one.And there is at some point where you want to sell what you own.

I well understand why you want to fresh build,it can be a whole lot more to do that.

I'll set back in the cheap seats to watch our get this together.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:11 PM

The reason why aside from some of the work being done to buy a incomplete roller is it does at times come with good parts like struts we would never buy new to build our own.We do follow the money on these projects and have had profited from the resale having more money for the next one.
I understand where your coming from, to each his own.

there is at some point where you want to sell what you own.
Ain't gonna happen with me. I own 2 92 camaros. One that's gonna be race only and the other a soon to be DD. I actually had a random guy stop by and offer me more for my DD than I had originally paid. I declined. I told him I already picked up a 383 shortblock and have some of the parts for it sittin on the shelf. I'll never sell my cars.

I well understand why you want to fresh build,it can be a whole lot more to do that.
Again, it is what it is. I by no means am rich, but dedicated enough to follow through... Even if it takes a year or 2 or longer to do. To me it's about pride and a sense of accomplishment. I don't want someones hand me down's. Plus I have this complex with used parts, which makes it hard to buy them.

I'll set back in the cheap seats to watch our get this together.
You might be waiting a while so make sure you grab a snack and a sack lunch. LOL. I'll keep you posted when I get this in motion.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 PM

this is my version
Attached Thumbnails Tube chassis/front end (firewall on up)... Lets see pics (need references)-img_20131009_214852.jpg  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX

That 1st pic's came off my site. Ive BSed with the guy who was building that car years ago. Was gonna put a twin turbo northstar in it.

Here look thru here for more good photos of what your seeking.
http://www.cecoatings.com/images/other3rdgens/
Old 12-11-2013, 08:53 AM

Car: 92rs
Engine: 355
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4.10 7.5 with auburn posi

Originally Posted by FSTFBDY
Here look thru here for more good photos of what your seeking.
http://www.cecoatings.com/images/other3rdgens/
...wow, there went my morning.....
5:30a -wake up early to get to work early
5:35a -cereal w/a side of tgo
5:40a -browse past this thread
5:45a -found this link
now it's almost 7a and it looks like I'll be working late again today.

The file redefines what I would call a serious third gen camaro...a few times over.
Seriously, -Thanks.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11

wow
Old 04-06-2014, 09:26 PM

A lot of good references here ( http://www.cecoatings.com/images/other3rdgens/ ). Thanks.

Been a while since I've been around here. Since my level of commitment was questioned before, here's a brief update. Project is still chillin in my garage. I wont start the work until I'm ready and comfortable/positive I know all I feel I need to know. Got my TIG welder and have been practicing in the spare time. Won't weld on my build unless the welds are close to perfect. Right now I'm currently getting my knowledge on at a shop... Current pic of project I'm helping with....

Name:  IMG961_zps817b7de3.jpg
Views: 3805
Size:  94.4 KB

Hoping to start workin on my build this summer but we'll see.