History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Is the A/C accumulator/dryer reusable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:20 PM

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: L69 5.0L HO
Transmission: Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Is the A/C accumulator/dryer reusable?

Is the A/C accumulator/dryer reusable? I had my A/C evacuated and I’m in the process of removing it. The hoses look clean inside. When I reassemble the A/C system could I reuse it or should I replace it?

Are there any other A/C parts I should replace? Other then the O-rings.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 96 Chevy P/U
Re: Is the A/C accumulator/dryer reusable?

As a general rule if you have the A/C system open you should change out the receiver/dryer.

That being said, I've never worked on the A/C systems on our cars (no A/C on my car) so I'm not sure what kind of accumulator these cars have. The cars I work on either have filters in the dryer to replace or the whole dryer assembly gets replaced.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 AM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 350 Ramjet
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: GM 9 bolt 3:27

If it is open for a short time (matter of a couple hour depending on humidity that day) you might be ok. Any longer than that you need to make sure it is well sealed to prevent the dessicant from drawing moisture from the air and you are still taking a chance of the dryer sucking moisture and freezing during use.

Best thing is what racer said for the cost of a new drier replace it. Replace any o-ring you can including the ones under the pressure switches, the seals at the compressor lines and I would also replace the valve cores in the service ports. Cheaper to do it now than after the system is recharged or emptied itself.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:21 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

If you buy a new compressor, the manufacturer won't warranty it unless you change the accumulator because if you get crap or moisture in there, it can ruin the compressor.

That being said, if you pull the system down into a vacuum and leave it that way for a few hours to pull the moisture out of the system, it will probably perform flawlessly. My father has worked on systems that have been open for years, and after pulling it into a vacuum to remove the moisture, has rarely had a problem.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Trans Am
Engine: LT1 350
Transmission: 5 Speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10bolt till it breaks

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
If you buy a new compressor, the manufacturer won't warranty it unless you change the accumulator because if you get crap or moisture in there, it can ruin the compressor.

That being said, if you pull the system down into a vacuum and leave it that way for a few hours to pull the moisture out of the system, it will probably perform flawlessly. My father has worked on systems that have been open for years, and after pulling it into a vacuum to remove the moisture, has rarely had a problem.
Depending on dessicant a pump down may not remove the moisture. Certain dessicants are permanently damaged by moisture, and even if you pump down the system to boil out the moisture, the dessicant is still worthless and if moisture ever gets in the system again, it wont be able to absorb and the system will not operate normally. Usually the symtom of moisture is icing up of the orifice tube or TXV after about 10 minutes or so of use.

the possible problems isnt worth the wasted time. I'd just replace the receiver/drier or accumulator and not have to worry about it.

Do it right the first time, dont do a half *** job.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:19 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

Originally Posted by hgffrank

Do it right the first time, dont do a half *** job.
Customer willing, yes. Unfortunately, most customers just want you to "add some freon so it'll work for the summer". Convincing those people that they should replace a seemingly fully-functional part isn't easy. In cases where the system wasn't fully open, this becomes a hard sell. If you're doing a compressor change, or if the system has been open for a while, then yes, it's good to change it. When dealing with systems that just experienced their normal amount of leakage over the last couple years, it's largely unnecessary. But again, it all depends on your customer.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:15 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 350 Ramjet
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: GM 9 bolt 3:27

Been there more than once. It sure tests your saleman skills. If that's all a customer wanted at a couple places I worked we either didn't work on it or made sure the invoice stated no warranty. But that doesn't do anything for repeat business.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: 1982 MSE, 1988 S10 Blazer
Engine: 305 in both!
Transmission: 200c / Th700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:73 / 3.42

Just replace it, they're only $40 at your local parts house.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:40 PM

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: L69 5.0L HO
Transmission: Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Thanks for the input, I’ll replace it. I wont be doing a half *** job on my car and don’t mind spend where appropriate.