History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

1987 IROC-Z not considered collectable?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
1987 IROC-Z not considered collectable?

Here in Ohio, to get collector plates the car needs to be found in the NADA Guide (www.nadaguides.com) as a collector car.

Anyways, it looks like the only models of the 1987 Camaro that appear in the collector cars list are the convertible models. My friend that has an 88 IROC-Z was able to get his collector plates because his is in there.

Does anyone know why they wouldn't consider an 87 IROC as a collector vehicle? I tried e-mailing them and asking, but no response of course.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. Wasn't sure where else to post it
Old 07-03-2009, 04:33 AM

Car: 1986 Iroc z
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: 1987 IROC-Z not considered collectable?

Originally Posted by tekkitan
Here in Ohio, to get collector plates the car needs to be found in the NADA Guide (www.nadaguides.com) as a collector car.

Anyways, it looks like the only models of the 1987 Camaro that appear in the collector cars list are the convertible models. My friend that has an 88 IROC-Z was able to get his collector plates because his is in there.

Does anyone know why they wouldn't consider an 87 IROC as a collector vehicle? I tried e-mailing them and asking, but no response of course.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. Wasn't sure where else to post it
I know that in florida your car has to be at least 25 or 30 years old to be considered a collectable.I tried to get a collector plate as well. not sure about ur laws in ohio.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1986iroc350
I know that in florida your car has to be at least 25 or 30 years old to be considered a collectable.I tried to get a collector plate as well. not sure about ur laws in ohio.
Like I said in my OP, it just needs to be listed in the NADA Guide and my friend's 88 IROC is considered collector and got the plates.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:17 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

The NADA guide lists the 86 and 88 coupe IROC-Z but not the 87. It's not that the car isn't collectible, they just don't list it. I will contact them with reasons why the car is more collectible than the 88 or 86. We'll see what happens with that.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
The NADA guide lists the 86 and 88 coupe IROC-Z but not the 87. It's not that the car isn't collectible, they just don't list it. I will contact them with reasons why the car is more collectible than the 88 or 86. We'll see what happens with that.
I hope you have more luck than me! Thanks for the reply and let me know if you hear anything back. Skipping the dreaded E-check in my county would be great. I could then not worry about putting a carbed bbc in my babe
Old 07-03-2009, 07:18 AM

Collector/Classic plates are designed to be used on collector or classic vehicles. Age alone does not constitute this. If you are looking to just avoid emissions testing on a daily driver, you will find that this is not the best route. I believe all states have guidelines for the use of collector/classic plates. A daily driver is not one of those uses. Also, the big block, carbed motor needs to run clean. It's only the responsible way to build a motor.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 WS6 T/A 65,000 miles
Engine: 5.0L vin H stock, 406SBC right now
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Corp. 3.73

I was so excited when my car turned 25 and I would be able to get a Classic/Collector tag for it. Too bad the only tag here is S Carolina is an Antique tag meant for cars in parades or displays.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 AM

Collector/Classic plates are designed to be used on collector or classic vehicles. Age alone does not constitute this. If you are looking to just avoid emissions testing on a daily driver, you will find that this is not the best route. I believe all states have guidelines for the use of collector/classic plates. A daily driver is not one of those uses. Also, the big block, carbed motor needs to run clean. It's only the responsible way to build a motor.
I know this. That is why my camaro is in the garage and my Tahoe is the daily driver. Don't think of my intentions as trying to escape emissions testing because I think my car won't pass it. I simply hate having to get the E-check every two years. I am not sure if you are familiar with the Ohio E-check, but they don't like carbed motors in cars that were originally fuel injected, or any other kind of major modification such as an engine swap or even exhaust, even it is is running clean. If they look under the hood and the car is obviously not as is from factory, they can fail you.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Car: 88 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: SBC 385
Transmission: 700 w/ manual valvebody & 2400 TCI
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt B&W w/ 3.70s

Sorry bout your luck there tekky, it doesn't seem to make much sense does it? Tell ya though: Seeing COLLECTOR on the back of my car makes it look just a little bit hotter
Old 07-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: LB9 305

I know this. That is why my camaro is in the garage and my Tahoe is the daily driver. Don't think of my intentions as trying to escape emissions testing because I think my car won't pass it. I simply hate having to get the E-check every two years. I am not sure if you are familiar with the Ohio E-check, but they don't like carbed motors in cars that were originally fuel injected, or any other kind of major modification such as an engine swap or even exhaust, even it is is running clean. If they look under the hood and the car is obviously not as is from factory, they can fail you.
Is an E-check something you have to set up yourself, or do they contact you? I live in Ohio and I've had my '92 Z28 for 3 years and have yet to do an E-check.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster25
Is an E-check something you have to set up yourself, or do they contact you? I live in Ohio and I've had my '92 Z28 for 3 years and have yet to do an E-check.
E-check is only required in seven counties in Ohio. Cuyahoga being one of them (my county).

Full list: Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, and Summit.

If you are in one of these counties, the BMV will require you to have an E-check every two years if your vehicle is less than 25 years old. Odd year cars are tested in odd years, even year cars in even years.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by IROC_385Z
Sorry bout your luck there tekky, it doesn't seem to make much sense does it? Tell ya though: Seeing COLLECTOR on the back of my car makes it look just a little bit hotter
Ok, quit rubbing it in

Last edited by tekkitan; 07-03-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:50 PM

...I am not sure if you are familiar with the Ohio E-check, but they don't like carbed motors in cars that were originally fuel injected, or any other kind of major modification such as an engine swap or even exhaust, even it is is running clean. If they look under the hood and the car is obviously not as is from factory, they can fail you.
It's funny because 88 was the first year that none of the camaros had a carb option, and I totally have passed echeck with a 10:1 stroker running a 236/242 .520/.540 cam. Passed CLEANER than the factory EFI (by far). I have never actually seen those guys look under a hood, and in fact one time I had a plug wire catch fire and I had to pop the hood and blast it with an extinguisher...they didn't even bat an eye at the motor :-) They don't get paid enough to care I think.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:44 PM

In Ohio you cannot get a collectors plate for a daily driver. You actually have to have proof that you own a separate car, with insurance, or you cannot get the plate. Also I would love to know what criteria are used to choose which years/models make the list. All I know is that happened to work out in my favor

Last edited by IROC_385Z; 07-03-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: im a dolt who fails at reading
Old 07-04-2009, 07:06 AM

The criteria that you mention is in reference to the NADA guide? If so, I believe there is just an oversite. They were contacted years ago by somebody here regarding convertibles and they adjusted it. I sent them a good deal of information to prove the 87 as more than worthy of being a true collectible, even moreso than most other 3rd gens. The 87 year was full of firsts and lasts. The 1st year for leather, 350, Bose, option packages, etc. The last year for Norwood and multiple models in the Camaro lineup. It appears that for some reason, the 87s are in more demand than other years. Not sure why, but it seems to be my preference for a 350 model as I'm not too keen on the 88-90 rims.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:10 AM

The criteria that you mention is in reference to the NADA guide? If so, I believe there is just an oversite. They were contacted years ago by somebody here regarding convertibles and they adjusted it. I sent them a good deal of information to prove the 87 as more than worthy of being a true collectible, even moreso than most other 3rd gens. The 87 year was full of firsts and lasts. The 1st year for leather, 350, Bose, option packages, etc. The last year for Norwood and multiple models in the Camaro lineup. It appears that for some reason, the 87s are in more demand than other years. Not sure why, but it seems to be my preference for a 350 model as I'm not too keen on the 88-90 rims.
Nice. I hope they do adjust it, not even just for collector plates
Old 07-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: LB9 305

E-check is only required in seven counties in Ohio. Cuyahoga being one of them (my county).

Full list: Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, and Summit.

If you are in one of these counties, the BMV will require you to have an E-check every two years if your vehicle is less than 25 years old. Odd year cars are tested in odd years, even year cars in even years.
I'm not located in those counties, but I did purchase it from somebody in Medina. I imagine it's been tested.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:17 PM

Car: 85 Camaro S/C
Engine: 350 Vortec 330 HP 650 Demon Carb
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond Powertrax

In Illinois the Car has to be 25 yrs old to get antique or classic lic. My 85 needs one more year.
You are supposed to drive it only to shows, cruises, and for sevice. Some push the rules a lot more. Some people have been nailed by the police when cought using the car as a daily driver. They are real cheap here. As for as smog, 95 and below don't get tested.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster25
I'm not located in those counties, but I did purchase it from somebody in Medina. I imagine it's been tested.
If purchased from Medina and it had plates, it was tested. Either way though, doesn't matter for you. Only needs to have E-check if registered in one of those seven counties.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:49 PM

Car: 91' bird(WS6>>305TBI), 82'Regal

In Ohio any car 25 years or older you can get Historical plates (last check only 26 bucks) But the plates are cheap cause you can only drive on Sundays or for car shows is the Law.... I see many In the Toledo area breaking the law and driving during the week with theese plates.... The cops here in Toledo don't care...... Collecter plates must be different than Historical?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by bitchin_buick
In Ohio any car 25 years or older you can get Historical plates (last check only 26 bucks) But the plates are cheap cause you can only drive on Sundays or for car shows is the Law.... I see many In the Toledo area breaking the law and driving during the week with theese plates.... The cops here in Toledo don't care...... Collecter plates must be different than Historical?
http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registra...tor_plates.htm

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_regi...historical.htm

Collector plates can be used for transportation somewhat. Historical is what you said, only going to car shows and whatnot.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:46 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73

not to mention 87 was the only year for the LT
Old 07-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: SBC 400
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77

I never heard of NADA having a guideline for getting historical or collector plates on a vehicle. I live in Toledo also, and I just got historical plates for my 82 TA last year. All the requirements are is that the car is 25 years old. Nobody did any kind of check, other than me bringing in the title. Nobody did a check as far as having another vehicle either for a daily driver. Of course I don't drive this car daily anyway. I too have seen people driving with historical plates here...cops don't care. I've been wanting to get year specific plates but they have to have the tag from the plate year. Ohio plates looked the same from like 81-84. I think mine has a 83 or 84 tag and they told me I couldn't use it. go figure
Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1982TA
I never heard of NADA having a guideline for getting historical or collector plates on a vehicle. I live in Toledo also, and I just got historical plates for my 82 TA last year. All the requirements are is that the car is 25 years old. Nobody did any kind of check, other than me bringing in the title. Nobody did a check as far as having another vehicle either for a daily driver. Of course I don't drive this car daily anyway. I too have seen people driving with historical plates here...cops don't care. I've been wanting to get year specific plates but they have to have the tag from the plate year. Ohio plates looked the same from like 81-84. I think mine has a 83 or 84 tag and they told me I couldn't use it. go figure
It isn't a NADA guideline, it is an Ohio BMV guideline (for collector plates). As you said, Historical plates are for cars 25 years or older. If you look at my link in an above post, you will see what is required to get a collector plate. Also, living in Cleveland, some of the suburb cops are pretty strict. I got pulled over for my front window tint being ~10% darker than what is allowed by law. Even you know I bought my truck from the dealer like that and explained it to him, I had to pay $50 for it. After getting so many speeding tickets and whatnot in the past, I don't need any more trouble with the law. Plus my car isn't 25 years old, yet
Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Car: 91' bird(WS6>>305TBI), 82'Regal

Originally Posted by 1982TA
I live in Toledo also, and I just got historical plates for my 82 TA last year.
What part of town are you in? Only seen a few This summer!

. I'm still wondering why you own one in the first place and continue to bash the generation of car you drive.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited by bitchin_buick; 07-08-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Car: 85 IROC / 69 Firebird convertible
Engine: 5.0 / 350
Transmission: t-5 / WC t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 / 3.08

Here in Wisconsin the age is 20 years old. Cost is $90 one time and the car is registered for life. Really a good deal. On my two cars I've saved about a grand so far. There are some rules, mainly that you have another vehicle registered in your name. Also the car can't be driven in january. The only drawback is that the plate is ugly! Blue background with red letters. Doesen't look good on any car. One other thing, once you have your collector number, you can get a regular tag for all your other vehicles with that number on it. I have 4 vehicles registered and they all have the same tag# except for the last letter. Example 5555A: 5555B : 5555C. It lets others know that even though you are in your daily driver, there is something home in the garage that might be special.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:29 PM

Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 CFI
Transmission: 700R4 automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.08?

Originally Posted by HankL69
The only drawback is that the plate is ugly! Blue background with red letters. Doesen't look good on any car. One other thing, once you have your collector number, you can get a regular tag for all your other vehicles with that number on it.
should have gone the 'hobbyist' plate route. same rules as collector plates but you can modify the crap out of your car, like, a ridiculous amount even, and still drive it on the road.

and the fees for collector and hobbyist in wisconsin are now $200, one-time fee. the rule about having to own another car in your name is bogus. i work for a dealership and drive a demo as my daily driver. why should i have to OWN my daily driver? i sold my reliable buick after buying the camaro and put my name on with my dad on his 93 GMC pickup that he bought.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:50 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

In Michigan, we have "Historical" Plates which have to be renewed every 10 years or so. IT is kind of neat in its own way. The cars are to be driven primarily for car shows, cruises, to get work done on it, whatever. The cost is $35 for 10 years.

The other plate is "Authentic Plates" Which is really neat as you have to FIND your plates to use, they have to be original MI plates and unused. They have to be from the same year as your car, so if you have a 1967 you need to find original plates from 1967. I found some original '67 plates for $30, and then plates you pay MI a one time $30 IIRC, and they are assigned to the car FOREVER, or until you sell the car, whichever comes first. The down side is you have to get BOTH plates, you do not need to put both on your car, but if there was two plates issued for a given year, you have to get BOTH in order to use them. I think I had to go to the Secretary Of State (MI version of DMV) and show them my plates...

I want to think at 25 years old is when you can get the plates in MI.

John
Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 AM

There's still no update to the NADA guides. Time to send another e-mail...
Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27

All those sites are for determining the value of collector cars are nonsense. You just have to see what they're going for.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by IROCZTWENTYGR8
All those sites are for determining the value of collector cars are nonsense. You just have to see what they're going for.
NADA guides is what the state of Ohio looks at to determine if a car is collectible or not.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27

The state needs to get a clue then.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by IROCZTWENTYGR8
The state needs to get a clue then.
I definitely agree, but not much I can do about that
Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Car: 1989 Formula 350 / 2001 TA WS6
Engine: 350 / LS1
Transmission: Auto / Auto

for a collector or hobbyist plate in wisconsin it is illegal to drive such a plated vehicel during the month of january, the vehicle must be 20 years old or older, the owner must have a second regularly plated vehicle as a driver. to qualify as a collector plated vehicle the vehicle must be unmodified. hobbyist plated vehicles the rules above apply except they can be modified. one emission test prior to recieving collector/hobbyist plates must be obtained.
--------------------
Wisconsin requires emissions inspections for cars and trucks that:
  • are powered by gasoline or alternative fuels (but not diesel fuel); and
  • are model year 1996 or newer; and
  • have a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) under 8,501 pounds; and
  • are customarily kept in one of the following seven southeastern Wisconsin counties:
    • Kenosha
    • Milwaukee
    • Ozaukee
    • Racine
    • Sheboygan
    • Washington
    • Waukesha
Effective January 1, 2010, the inspection requirements are expanding to include model year 2007 and newer vehicles that:
  • are powered by diesel fuel; and/or
  • have a GVWR between 8,501 pounds and 14,000 pounds
Motorcycles and dedicated farm vehicles are exempt from inspection, and will remain so after January
----------------------------

the only good thing about living in the people's republic of wisconsin is the old car regs.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:46 AM

HAHA! I must have sent them one too many e-mails because look at all the cars they added for 1987:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...-1&y=1987&da-1

Link should work. But previously they only had the Camaro Convertible and IROC Convertible. Now look at all of those Camaros
Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z w/T-Tops
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: G92

Well done! I too have an 87 and was feeling left out