Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

GTA Digital Dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac trans am GTA 5 speed
Engine: 5.0L Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: Borg Warner World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Rear
GTA Digital Dash

A Few weeks ago I posted about salvaging a Digital dash out Of a 1988 GTA..Well I went to a junkyard just to get tail lamp harness and I decided to take The whole Interior Harness and Engine Harness,a Full Complete dashbord and I Want To PutTHisIn my car, Can I Use My existing Computer For the Digital Dash ?... I Dont see why Not Because everything Is I dentical Except ForAfew slight Things... Ipayed $35.00 For Everything so i couldnt turn it down...
Old 04-27-2008, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 GTA, 1985 T/A
Engine: L98, LG4
Transmission: Slush-o-matic 700R
Axle/Gears: stock and stock
Re: GTA Digital Dash

I would check your computer numbers, but I think you might have to use the ENTIRE digitial dash harness and its associated computer. I hope you remembered to pull the door latches, windshield washer jug, etc. These (and possibly more things) are connected to the digital dash as the message center reads out when your doors/hatch are open and when the windshield washer level is low. I'm not sure what other things it does. Also, the 88 car will be a MAS sensor computer and your 90 is a MAP sensor computer. I have been told they will interchange (I'm thinking about the exact same swap) but I haven't researched it yet. I was going to just get wiring diagrams from each setup and see if the wires running to the computer are the same. If the are, great, if not, well, then it becomes a bit of a challenge. But you got a screaming good deal, regardless.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:11 AM

Whatdo you mean door latch? the harness that runs thru the doors and accross the firewall i left in the car because ididnt see anything different... alsothe harness that plugs into the firewall and disconnects i separated... left side of the harness is for the winshield washer headlamps radiator coolant sensor etc... i took the tail lamp harness andi might have a prob with that..mine is a 1990 pull down but im not positive if its a special motor or not
Old 04-27-2008, 05:41 PM

You need the cars complete hardness as the dig dash has extra sensors to tell you the door is open and fuild levels are low.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 vert, 1988 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI, 305 Carb-finally runs!
Transmission: TH-700R4/BW WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi 4th gen 10-bolt/BW 9 bolt

If you want to use just the gauges and not in systems monitor, I believe it is possible to justsplice wires from the old connector onto the digital guage cluster connector. I am about to start the swap, I know there are a couple guys on this site that have done it. I am trying to get in touch with them.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Right I went there again and I removed the remailing harnesses and Door latches with the wires comming out of them... I cant wait to get my Ta back from the mechanic ( hes welding metal in place of the rot in the firewall) and Install everything....Only thing is Im going to have to Add the Air bag harness in there too somehow... I got alot of reading to do
Old 04-28-2008, 10:09 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 vert, 1988 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI, 305 Carb-finally runs!
Transmission: TH-700R4/BW WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi 4th gen 10-bolt/BW 9 bolt

Not quite sure how you will get the airbag to work with that. For one, the digital dash does not have an airbag light. Secondly, since all F bodies starting in 1990 had an airbag, it is integrated into the dash harness. I'm sure it may be possible to take it out of the main harness, but it's going to be a PITA.

Best option might honestly be to just junk the airbag system, and keep it in your steering wheel just for looks.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 AM

you know I thought about that.. I also thought of getting the steering wheel controls and Just Converting it over.. But heres the thing, I want to keep the car as ORIGINAL as I can...And What I mean By that is Not How that car Specificly came out of the factory, But what options the trans am GTA came with for the 1990 model Year.

So its safe to day Im doing a Restoration/upgrade lol...Car used to be white, its now being painted Victory red, It never had a Digital dash But Now it will...

1990's had the digital dash option, where would the airbag light be on the dash?.. I will Intergrate anything Into the harness, I enjoy doing stuff like that because its a challenge, it excersises the brain and keeps me out of trouble...
Old 04-29-2008, 10:26 AM

Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 AM

There were soo many wires i was getting a headache just looking at them.. I sold my 2001 grand prix and Picked up this 2004 Dodge grand Caravan and as You can see I now can fit anything I want to Buy for my TA!...Only downfall is I am called the Soccer mom now by my friends ..lol But Hey I got a Nice T/A too ( after painting ofcourse)

Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM

Car: 1986 Firebird / 1985 Trans-Am
Engine: 305 4BBL / 383 4BBL++
Transmission: 700R4 / 700R4
Axle/Gears: ?.?? / 3.47

I am interested in how this turns out for you.
I have a 1986 Trans-Am with a digital dash. No clue if the dash even works. When I bought the car, it had a blown motor and some of the wiring had been cut to pull the fuel injection system out.
Which made it hard to test if the dash worked.

I happen to have an engine, transmission, wiring, dash and basically everything I need out of an 1987 Trans-Am. Between this and what was left over in the 86, I should be able to put it all back together. But I am curious how it goes for you.
Some of your trouble spots and solutions might help me out in my project.

Good luck to you, and I am looking forward to reading more about your project.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:48 PM

Im very good at reading wiring Diagrams,schematics and such.. and I really enjoy doing these things..

I have to change some things around anyway, I havent taken this apart yet, or read any diagrams But I do Know that where the " gain " Slider for the factory amp is is where my fog lamp, trunk pop and defroster go, also, I dont have radio controls on the Steering wheelm any wires for that Must Be eliminated, there are also some other things that I have to grab off my existing harness and transfer to My car.. Ill have Both dashes up side by side tonight and Ill take some pictures

I even took the electronic temp switch too, and that also is a different set up, I have to get a new radio bezel annd I have to put this electric Motor part on my heater core box.. aswell as the door latches.. they carry a sensor in there to tell that computer you doors are open etc.. Oh and the hatch too...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 PM

Tomorrow Night I start the dash REBUILD.. I Cleaned up my messy room of all the clothes that were On the Floor and Put the 2 dashes next to eachother.. I do see some differences, Like the Left A/C vent is Bigger then the one on my 1990 dash,a nd is on a deep angle... also, the 1990 dash has the fog lamp,defrost and trunk pop in the middle of the dash... and finally.. I got like a knee pad that goes under the steering wheel and overlaps on the dash, this is different...

I have to really take this thing apart to see if My Job is just gonna be some Changing pin outs adding things over from my dash or using the 1990 dash shell or the 1988 dash shell...
Old 06-01-2008, 09:03 PM

Update.

I have planned out the dash install and their are some differences. First off My main goal was to include the srs airbag into the equasion of having a digital dash plus the air bag. If I do this it will extend my completion time by two weeks. im pressed for time and I dont have time to be making my own pin outs in different locvations and setting the harness back up again for proper operation. therefore the steeringwheel will be just a dummy for now..

Im still stumped on this one probloem and I havent had any replys as of yet but i am really stuck, and if anyone can help me it would be greatly apreciated...under my steering colum the wires are cut to shreds, and I managed to get pigtails from a split in half trans am in a junkyard. I had to do alot of pulling to get these pigtails from the crushed mess, the rest of the harness was beyound destryed.. i have been matching wires up to the splicings for days now and ive pretty much got the fat ignition wires down. but its all these other wires. there are soo many yellow wires I dont even know where to start.. im totally consuded by the manual and everything.. I dont know if anyone has a harness for a digital dash but i think its boiling down to the point of me just replacing the dash harness. Im working on a deadline and need to get this done.,i am driving to texas in 2 weeks and This car is going into storage for 2 months till i get back.. It must run in order for me to store it.

if anyone has a harness please let me know because time is almost up