Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Steering box ID question

Old 04-02-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering box ID question

I have saved my brothers base model Camaro from the crusher. I pulled out the POS 6 cylinder and put in a fresh 383 power plant. I wanted to get rid of the crappy original steering box and found this box at the local junk yard. I have looked to see if this is a quick ratio steering box but can find out much on the unit. The part number stamped on the cover is 7812145. Any Forum members know if this is a quick ratio box?

The 3rd generation Camaros suffered from bad power plants, transmissions and paint. The Camaro was still a good looking car back in the 80s and can be made into something with a 383 and a 6 speed transmission behind it.

I have aquired a new dash harness and will be putting the Z-28 gauge cluster into the car. The wiring harness is for the Z-28 gauge package. New engine compartment wiring too. I will have to find out what the TPS wire color is so I can get that up and running. I am going to use a serpentine belt system from a 89 Z-28 which is a great system IMO. These mods will bring the 84 Camaro back to life and ready for some Saturday night cruising.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: Steering box ID question

quick ratio boxes have a "Z" cast into the top of the box
Old 04-02-2010, 07:23 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
quick ratio boxes have a "Z" cast into the top of the box
No they don't. That is nothing more then an ID of the casting. What goes inside can vary from Grandma's Buick/Caddy steering box to a Formula fast ratio with or without limiters.

Yes, this is a pet-peeve of mine for the mis-information concerning steering box ID...

To first ID a box need to find the 2 letter code. But since GM used water colors to print them, it then comes down to either measuring the ratio and swing via protractors. Or disassembling the box and knowing what to look for.

RBob.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

orly, i have heard that.

all the quick ratio boxes i've seen do have the z one them? Oh well, i will be more careful next time
Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\
orly, i have heard that.

all the quick ratio boxes i've seen do have the z one them? Oh well, i will be more careful next time
In one sense you are correct. Every fast ratio box does have a Z cast into the top of them. The problem is, is that every low ratio box, every medium ratio box, and every single box of that casting also has a Z cast into the top of the box.

The Z has absolutely no bearing on what is inside of the box. Only what the outer casting is.

I have here on TGO shown this. Many, many boxes of different GM cars & trucks all with the Z cast into them. And all having different guts.

Also note that the lock-to-lock turns have nothing to do with the ratio. This is set by the internal stops as much the ratio.

RBob.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RBob
No they don't. That is nothing more then an ID of the casting. What goes inside can vary from Grandma's Buick/Caddy steering box to a Formula fast ratio with or without limiters.

Yes, this is a pet-peeve of mine for the mis-information concerning steering box ID...

To first ID a box need to find the 2 letter code. But since GM used water colors to print them, it then comes down to either measuring the ratio and swing via protractors. Or disassembling the box and knowing what to look for.

RBob.

Thanks for the response RBob. I will be taking the box apart to put new seals in the mainshafts. If you can shoot me some information on what to look for that will help a great deal. Glad to find a 3rd generation Camaro site like this 1, houstonvett
Old 07-03-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

houstonvett, do you know what you took the steering box off of??? we have one with the same id # 7812145 was wondering what its off of