TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

fuel injector will not fully seat

Old 12-05-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 1969 Chevy 350 crossfire FI
Transmission: 700R4 overdrive auto
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear
fuel injector will not fully seat

I have a 1983 trans am with the crossfire fuel injection. I took out the injector and cleaned it. I bought new o-rings and all that. I cannot get the injector to fully seat back in place. I twisted and pushed as hard as I could, no dice. Anyone ideas? Thank you!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: fuel injector will not fully seat

Originally Posted by KARR81
I have a 1983 trans am with the crossfire fuel injection. I took out the injector and cleaned it. I bought new o-rings and all that. I cannot get the injector to fully seat back in place. I twisted and pushed as hard as I could, no dice. Anyone ideas? Thank you!

It's been a while since I've R&R'd TBI injectors, but I do recall that they can be difficult.

The 2-bbl injectors have a pin on the bottom to locate them. Not sure if the cross fire injectors have one or not. If so need to be sure that the injector is placed in the pod correctly for the pin to fit the slot.

Be sure to use petroleum jelly on the injector body, tbi body, and o-rings.

The larger o-ring goes into the TBI body.

For the smaller o-ring, I can't recall if I placed it into the TBI body, or onto the nose of the injector. For some reason I think I placed it on the nose of the injector, and let it slide into place as the injector was seated.

I do recall one particularly stubborn injector that I did the final seating by carefully screwing the top down. That was a pain as I oiled the screws to prevent stripping them. Then had to clean the screws & holes of oil in order to locktite them.

Note that all of the injector pod screws get blue locktite on the threads. Don't want to risk having any back out.

RBob.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 1969 Chevy 350 crossfire FI
Transmission: 700R4 overdrive auto
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear

thanks for the reply! I was not sure if it was ok to use any type of grease in the throttle body assembly or not. I will certainly try that. Thanks again!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 350 TBI W/all Ultimate TBI Mods
Transmission: 700R4 Stage 4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.27

Lube the o-rings well with WD40 first. It's easier to place the smaller o-ring in the bottom of the pod first then the upper metal washer then the upper o-ring. Once that is done and they are lubed well then align the injector pin with the appropriate spot in the pod and it will snap right in.

If they are not lubed well then they can be a pain in the booty to get them to seat fully. You should hear a crisp/firm "click/snap"

Good luck