Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Testing for a collapsed or bad roller lifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2007 Corvette Z06
Engine: LS7
Transmission: 6 speed
Testing for a collapsed or bad roller lifter

Got to the bottom to see question.
Well, I'm pretty sure I have "A" collapsed lifter #8 exh. About 3 yrs ago and 30,000 miles after some burnouts/dounuts. I had a bad ticking, found a rocker arm completely loose about to fall off the valve(tightened and was fine). Then a few weeks ago a faint ticking started. I swapped in some 1.6 RR and the ticking turned to loud clanking and very poor driveablity. I put the stock ones back on and finally got the clanking to go away(about 3 times adjusting all the rockers) by tightening the #8 exh rocker down tight (I mean like at least 1-2 turns more than all the others). I didn't check to see if the stud was pulling out.

The car runs good now(quiet), but ran 1.5 miles slower (.1 sec faster et though). I assume they're just a little tighter than before.

Is there anyway to physically check a roller lifter when I do a cam swap. I'm going to change out the one for sure, but I would like to "test" the others (16 in the engine and 16 from another engine) both have 100-115K miles.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:31 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
You can disassemble, clean, inspect, lube, and reassemble the lifters easily. Take a close look at the axles and rollers for wear, and especially look for any play between the rollers and axles. Clean the check valves and springs, and inspect the metering discs for bending and wear.

You can disassemble the lifter by removing the spring clip from the top of the plunger and removing the components. Be sure to clean the lifter body bores and plungers of any varnish to prevent sticking.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2007 Corvette Z06
Engine: LS7
Transmission: 6 speed
Follow up:
Finally got to swapping the cam. Anyways I found one lifter to not be "opened" all the way, meaning piece in the middle wasn't touching the retaining clip. All my others are 15, plus some I checked from a different engine are all touching the retaining clip.

Sounds like I found my problem right?