Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fix a sticking choke?

Old 05-29-2003, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fix a sticking choke?

How do I fix a sticky choke? I was told on the boards before thats what was wrong, but I dont know how to fix it. Again, the symptoms are: As I slow down at a light or slow turn (only sometimes) the choke light will begin to flicker. If I notice and gas it real quick, its fine. But, if I don't notice, the choke light will come all the way on, and my car will shut down. Then I'm stuck at a light for about 2 minutes trying to start my car (which starts everytime after about 5-10 tries). How do I fix it?
Old 05-29-2003, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
It sounds like it may just need to be adjusted. Even so, you can spray it down with carb cleaner when you adjust it. Just pull off the cap and spray down the coil spring.

Make sure you take a mental note of where the pointer is before you take it apart. Then put it back together with the pointer in the same spot as a reference.

That alone may fix the problem. If not, you’ll need to have the car nice and warm, and in temps ~60* F.

Loosen the three screws around the cap, then back it off about ˝ of one mark at a time until the problem goes away.

While your at it, make sure the electrical connection is secure and clean. Spray it with carb cleaner also, just make sure it FULLY DRIES before you start the car again (about 10-15 minutes).
Old 05-30-2003, 11:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
AJ- an older carbureted motor, I'm guessing?

If so you may be interested to know that the choke light is also your ALTERNATOR light! Don't even ask me why GM did it that way- I have no idea.

However, if your alternator is in bad shape or the engine RPMs drop down real low (like they sometimes can do with the power steerign pump drwawing off some RPMs while cranking the wheel over to make a tight turn, or with the A/C on or both, etc, etc) where the alternator can't keep up the light will cime on. Soon as you rev it up some the light goes back off.

I know it sounds crazy but it's absolutely how it works on these older carbureted cars.

DON'T TOUCH YOUR CHOKE YET UNLESS YOU ARE SURE THAT"S WHAT'S WRONG!! It is probably working perfectly and adjusting it won't fix this problem and will cause a new problem.

To check, drive it around until you can reporduce the problem. Pull it in your driveway and idle it until the choke light comes on. Pop the hood and remove the air cleaner lid. Look at the choke plate. Is it FULLY open (choke plate straight up and down- not slightly angled)? If so, your choke is working fine and it's time to look elsewhere.

If it's NOT fully open then the first thing to check is the power wire going to the round choke element on the pass. side of the carb. It's a single wire. Measure voltage between the wire and a good ground with the ignition key in the ON postition. If it's got a full 12V then your choke element needs to be replaced (email me for directions on how to replace it if you get to that point). If it's NOT getting a full 12V to that wire then you need to figure out what's wrong with the wiring that supplies the voltage and repair it.

Last edited by Damon; 05-30-2003 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:00 AM

The morning after I posted this, I went out to start my car. Nothing, not even clicking. I had a friend come to jump it, and it started right up and I drove it around for about 30 mins. Parked it for 3 hrs, then went out to try it again. Nothing. So now I'm taking the battery to go get tested, probably getting a new one. This makes me think though that the problem is something other than the choke, I'll investigate the other ones mentioned before messing with my choke.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:33 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89rs (previous 2.8)
Engine: 406
Transmission: 700r4 (for now)
Have the alternator tested as well!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:05 PM

Problem solved.......I hope. The battery was fine, but I noticed when taking it out that the connection was really loose. So, when putting it back in, I made sure both connections were tight. No further problems with starting the car. Whats also really weird too is that the other "choke" problem has gone away, and also the sulfur smell. I don't really understand why, but if all it takes is a little tightening thats fine with me!
Old 06-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey, a wise man knows when to stop asking questions and just take the good results gracefully.

I'll never be wise, therefore. I ask too many questions.