Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

annoying whining/whistling sound under hood?

Old 12-19-2000, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
annoying whining/whistling sound under hood?

Ok, a couple of days ago my car started making this annoying whining sound under the hood, i noticed it when i got out of the car when it was running. It makes the sound when the car is in park or in gear and the sound gets louder as I step on the gas. I can't tell exactly where it is coming from, but it seems like possibly the left side (if you were standing in front of the car facing it). I have noticed no changes at all in the car. Everything works the way it used to except for that sound. I am wondering if the weather could have anything to do with it because the temp. is in the single digits right now. But my car sat in a warm garage all night and still made that sound when it started up. Any ideas? i would like that annoying sound to stop. Thanks

------------------
91 rs, convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M mega-shifter, goodmark cowl-induction hood,tinted windows
Old 12-19-2000, 01:53 AM

Sounds like a possible belt. They make a nice high-pitched squeal, more so in cold weather, and even more so when accelerating and RPM's go up. heh. IF it is the belt... you can either check the belt to see if it's time to replace it, tighten the device being driven, or buy some belt dressing.. usually stops the squeaks.

------------------
89 iroc-z
everything stock, except for a mirror that fell off
Old 12-19-2000, 02:58 AM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T56
it sounds to me like the air cleaner....does it sound like wind being sucked into it? could be the open element...mine makes that noise...ever since i put on the open element. only when it warms up though. it cold here too...but not that cold. (san Fran)

------------------
Rick
90 Camaro RS 305 TBI
400 small block, Hooker 1 3/4 LTs, Random Tech Cat, Hooker aero chamber cat back on the way!!
TH700-R4 with Trans-Go shift kit (corvette servo here...but not installed yet)
MacEwen Motorsports White Gauge Overlays
14" K&N X-Stream Open Element
GTS Headlight and Taillight covers
5% Limo Tint all around
Classic White Chevy Bowtie sticker on rear window
http://www.geocities.com/esvalenz

Man if my camaro were a rice-rocket all those mods would give me what...easily 50-60 hp!!!

"Just because I've done it, doesn't mean I knew what I was doing!" - Me
Old 12-19-2000, 11:25 AM

I highly doubt its the open element hes hearing, for two reasons, first of all he said he noticed it when the car was parked and he got out. Air cleaner isnt sucking in air at that point. Second reason is because i dont think anyone would complain about the sound they get from an open element. I know that mine certainly doesnt sound "annoying". I love the sound of my open element. Im also guessing the belts...Mine do it every once in a while. You open the hood and you can hear the belts buzzing a little bit. Ill have to try that belt dressing.
Old 12-19-2000, 12:13 PM

Warning! be carefull of that belt dressing. I have seen two difference engines torn half apart looking for a knock that was caused by it. The belts tend to stick and make a pop/knock type of sound like a rod or timing chain. One sounded exactly like a really bad rod untill I sprayed a little water on the belts. Then it went away.
You might checkt the alternator closely for bearing whine.
Old 12-19-2000, 12:17 PM

I meant when the car is running and it is in park I can still hear the sound. The air cleaner would still be sucking air then. My thought was that it could be the cleaner too because it definitely sounds like a sucking noise...I think if it were a belt it would be a higher pitched squeal than the one I am hearing. Maybe I should switch back to the stock cleaner to see what that does. I have had the cleaner on for about a year and it only made a minor whistling/sucking sound, but I sorta liked that sound, this sound is very loud and very annoying. I guess the best way to describe it is that is sounds the same way my 3.73 rear end sounds at high speeds, but this is 0bviously not my rear end.
Old 12-19-2000, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
Check the air diverter assembly...its that little black box-type-object that sits just above the smog pump. There is also a relief diaphragm type device that is connected to it which could be the problem too. I had a similar problem and that solved it. Be warned though....a new replacement costs mad $$$

------------------
92 Camaro RS LO3, 5-spd, T-tops
Mechanics:
Open Air Element w/K&N Filter, Flowmaster 3" Cat-back Exhaust, Z28 Grille w/aftmkt fog lamps
Electronics:
Alpine 8030 Alarm System, Valentine One Radar Detector (How did I ever drive without one?), Pioneer DEH 7450 Head Unit w/6-pack CD changer, Pioneer DEQ 7600 Sound Processor, 2 Kenwood KAC-90 Amps powering 2 12" Pro Red subs and 4 Infiniti speakers.
NEXT UP: SLP 1 3/4" Headers/Y-pipe, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch kit
Old 12-19-2000, 03:58 PM

Car: '92 Trans AM GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: Standard Issue
Also be aware that the whinning could be an alternator going sour. I had this noise also plus the Amp gauge was in the negative range.Had it checked & replaced - bingo! no more whinning.

[This message has been edited by Mike-92GTA (edited December 20, 2000).]
Old 12-19-2000, 04:10 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Well, not to exhaust this subject, but check the water pump too, that can make a nasty whine when it's going. Don't but a cheap one either..I learned my lesson there...changed the cheaper pump 3 times in one year...now I have an edelbrock and no more whines
Old 12-19-2000, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put this same post on here a few days ago. Vader gave me the advice to take one belt off at a time and see which accessory is making the noise. I haven't dug into mine yet, but I thought it was pretty good advice. If the pitch of the noise gets higher with higher rpm, one of these is probably the cause. If the pitch goes down with increased rpm, it may be a vacuum leak.
Good luck.

------------------
'86 IROC-Z
305 LG-4, T-5
T-Tops
50k Original Miles
K&N Air Filter
Stage I Chip
KYB Shocks/Struts
Centerforce Dual Friction
Old 12-19-2000, 10:16 PM

Ok, I think I got it figured out. I think it is the alternator. What I did was take a 3 foot long 1/2 inch wooden dowel and put one end on different parts under my hood and the other end against my ear. The sound coming from whatever part I put the end on sounded magnified when held up to my ear. The whining was extremely loud on the alternator so I am positive that is the problem. thanks for all the advice. sgt sweetpants, you may want to try this before taking off the belts. I can't see how this method wouldn't work.

------------------
91 rs, convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M mega-shifter, goodmark cowl-induction hood,tinted windows
Old 12-19-2000, 10:18 PM

oh yeah, anyone know about how much time I got before the alternator goes completely bad. Right now there are no problems, my volt meter reads the same as it always has, but i would imagine that the whining sound is the beginning of the end for my alternator.

------------------
Old 12-19-2000, 11:40 PM

Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
When my alternator went bad:
Was on my way to work one morning, heard this whine/whistling just like you discribed. I thought to myself "what's that noise?" By the time I was on my way home from work I looked at my gages and said, "Ahhh, I know what that noise is."

Meaning when an alternator's bearing kicks the bucket, it's charging capacity is soon to follow. Or if you're real unlucky, it'll lock up.
Old 12-19-2000, 11:53 PM

so it would probably be wise for me to go ahead and get one now. Cause for right now I can put up with the sound, but i would rather not go to my car to find it won't start up cause the battery drained.

------------------
Old 12-20-2000, 03:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Jim, one other thing worth checking that I didn't see in any of the responses is the outlet tube on your A.I.R. pump. There's two bolts where it goes into the back of the smog pump. These came loose on my car once, and it made an irritating whining/whistling noise just like you described. The rear bearing of the alternators on our cars is famous for going out too(been there, done that), but I figure you might want to check the smog pump as well.

------------------
89RS w/350 TPI; 69RS/SS w/450 HP 350/Muncie 4-Speed "Too weird to live, too rare to die."
Old 12-20-2000, 04:01 AM

Do you have a supercharger and not know about it?
Maybe someone gave it to you for christmas

Old 12-20-2000, 11:52 PM

Actually I was showing my car to someone the other day and I told him I had a supercharger. He didn't believe me until I started up the car, then he was like "damn, i guess I won't race you now"...good thing cause his mustang would have kicked my *** .

------------------
Old 12-20-2000, 11:53 PM

Actually I was showing my car to someone the other day and I told him I had a supercharger. He didn't believe me until I started up the car, then he was like "damn, i guess I won't race you now"...good thing cause his mustang would have kicked my *** .

------------------