Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Can you solder an exhaust pipe?

Old 07-25-2000, 03:43 PM
RSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you solder an exhaust pipe?

I was just wondering if one of those really powerful soldering guns could do a job similar to welding. I'm not talking about really a hardcore weld but just enough to maybe keep 2 pipes together or stop a leak.
Old 07-25-2000, 04:01 PM

Exhaust pipe is usually pretty nasty, unless it was brand new it would be very hard to solder. It also is a really good heat sink, it would take a propane torch. It might work if you are far enough away from the engine to not soften or melt the solder from heat. I would put a soldered exhaust system about in the same category as one held up by coat hangers. It may work, but it sure isn't anything like the right way.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Pepper (edited July 25, 2000).]
Old 07-25-2000, 05:01 PM

Not worth even thinking about.

First, there are no soldering guns that could get hot enough to get the metal hot enough to melt the solder (about 600°F).

Second, even if you could get the metal hot enough, lead/tin will not adhere to iron/steel, even if you used an acid flux. Solder will work on non-ferris metals like copper, bronze, brass, etc., but by no means will a strong bond be achieved.

Best method of heating the pipe would be with an acetylene torch, but then if you had one of those, it'd be a simple matter to just weld it together. After welding, my second choice would be brazing it.

To make a cheap/fast repair, I'd sway more toward getting a sheet of sheet metal (home centers sell small pieces of it) that I'd cut to fit over wherever you have the leak, and put some stainless steel hose clamps over it to keep it shut. Maybe you could put some gum under it to help seal it - haha.

Cheaper still? How about some aluminum foil, wrap several layers over the area you want to seal, and then wrap some wire (coat hangers?) over it to keep it in place.

Actually, I think coat hangers would be a step up from what you were thinking of.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Stuart Moss (edited July 25, 2000).]
Old 07-25-2000, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easy. I do it all the time at work. However, the catch is you must use "silver solder" and a gas torch.

Just wire brush the area clean, use silver solder paste flux, heat it on a mild gas flame, and apply the silver solder. Once it is set up, it will stand up to any heat you can put in the exhaust system.

------------------
FORMULA 350 TK
Southern California 3rd Generation F-Body Organization©
Old 07-25-2000, 08:02 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

soft solider would work too, but it wouldn't be very effective. to make a good joint it must be clean or rust, greese, and anything else that can contaminate the joint.
Old 07-25-2000, 09:36 PM

just get some of that muffler tape. wrap it around it and start the car to get it warm enough to melt in to it. works pretty good on small repairs

------------------
87 Iroc-z and a 77 camaro currently being restored
http://satanzchild.isonfire.com
Old 07-25-2000, 11:11 PM

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Keliher:
Easy. I do it all the time at work. However, the catch is you must use "silver solder" and a gas torch.

Just wire brush the area clean, use silver solder paste flux, heat it on a mild gas flame, and apply the silver solder. Once it is set up, it will stand up to any heat you can put in the exhaust system.
Tom,

I was about to pipe-up with silver solder as an alternative, but you beat me to it. It WILL adhere to steel and iron, and WILL withstand all but internal catalytic converter heat. I've made my own 'T' handle wrenches that way, and usually the Allen wrench fails where it was annealed before the joint lets go. It also makes a fair radiator repair.

Later,
Vader

------------------
"Some Body...Someone"
Old 07-26-2000, 07:32 PM

silver solder on an exhaust system?! I'm taking an air conditioning class, and the instructor is always talking about how great silver solder is, but how expensive it is too. To my way of thinking, if you're trying to do something other than welding, you're doing it to save money. if a pipe rusted through and you want to make a semi-permanent repair, cut the pipe all the way through and get some of that flexible exhaust tubing to cover the break. clamp it on and you're done. I do that when I need to buy some time until I can do the job right.. you're lucky if you can get that stuff to last through one michigan winter.
Old 07-26-2000, 08:53 PM

im not sure of the exhaust temp on the chevy v8, but i know that some 4 cylinders exhaust gas gets up to 500 C, which is well beyond the melting pt of solder.
Old 02-14-2001, 03:41 AM

Car: 1988 Mustang GT
Engine: 302
Transmission: T5
Don't solder an exhaust system! do it right, use a welder (oxy/acetylene or whatever). I would think that the exhaust gets hotter than the melting point of the solder. If its a leak then brazing should work...
Old 02-14-2001, 02:40 PM

Since I've done quite a bit of plumbing in my life I'll add my two cents. I do not have much expierence with silver solder or other types of solder made to adhere to ferrous (iron) metals. However, you have to get that sucker red hot to melt the solder upon it and I guarntee what you're soldering won't get red hot anytime during normal operation (you need and extreme lean condition or a very clogged cat to do this). I would consider it a viable option, not better than just zapping it with a MIG but you have go to use what you have.

------------------
1984 WS6 Trans Am Hartop
Former L69 Car under restoration
1984 Trans Am T-tops
4-bolt main 350, performer intake, headers, Holley 650, T-5, hayes clutch, dual elec. fans and 3.23's.
Daily driver and restoration
13.98 @ 101
Old 02-14-2001, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
Transmission: 700R4
Re: the silver solder...yes it would work, but only if there was a slip fit from one pipe to the other...don't think you could butt the two together and have it hold.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:55 AM

Re: Can you solder an exhaust pipe?

Originally Posted by Stuart Moss
Not worth even thinking about.

First, there are no soldering guns that could get hot enough to get the metal hot enough to melt the solder (about 600°F).

Second, even if you could get the metal hot enough, lead/tin will not adhere to iron/steel, even if you used an acid flux. Solder will work on non-ferris metals like copper, bronze, brass, etc., but by no means will a strong bond be achieved.

Best method of heating the pipe would be with an acetylene torch, but then if you had one of those, it'd be a simple matter to just weld it together. After welding, my second choice would be brazing it.

To make a cheap/fast repair, I'd sway more toward getting a sheet of sheet metal (home centers sell small pieces of it) that I'd cut to fit over wherever you have the leak, and put some stainless steel hose clamps over it to keep it shut. Maybe you could put some gum under it to help seal it - haha.

Cheaper still? How about some aluminum foil, wrap several layers over the area you want to seal, and then wrap some wire (coat hangers?) over it to keep it in place.

Actually, I think coat hangers would be a step up from what you were thinking of.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Stuart Moss (edited July 25, 2000).]
Hahah this freaking guy!!! Had to make an account just to comment on how funny this s**t is. Coincidentally, I'm doing my exhaust as I type this and I'm using plumbers solder with the aluminum foil overlay clamped down with rubber clamps.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Exh temp = many many hundreds of degrees

Melting point of lead-based solder = around 300 degrees

Doesn't sound like a good match of material to application, to me. I'd be expecting the solder to melt and drip off as soon as the exhaust gets hot.

It's always great to hear the "I'm gonna" type stories about something obviously suspect like this.

Come back and let us know how that works out AFTER it's been done.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:47 PM
On Probation

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 84 Z-28
Engine: 305 HO
Transmission: r-700
Axle/Gears: 3:73

LOL!
Old 01-03-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC & ROLL-Z
Engine: L98 Vortec FIRST TPI
Transmission: T56, Mech Speedo
Axle/Gears: G92 J65 3.27

there is a one worded answer for this, No. maybe "Hell no" followed by a dirty look.
the fact that this thread had a discussion behind it makes me laugh
Old 01-05-2016, 08:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

The fact that this thread is 15 YEARS old makes me laugh
Old 01-07-2018, 10:08 AM

Lmao!!! I just made this account to tell you that you are my hero for doing that hahaha!! I also want to say wtf? why would I put aluminum foil on a motorcycle??? I thought this was about sealing the problem perminaty. How did the alum work out for you? I have a 1996 Suzuki savage I’m a 30 year old female veteran that wants to fix my bike up mainly to run good but to look good. This bike has been the most fun vehicle I’ve ever had except for renting an Audi A3 and driving the autobahn at 300 km. Yeah I understand you did this as a get by fix but it is not perminate.
Originally Posted by HarleyDavidson
Hahah this freaking guy!!! Had to make an account just to comment on how funny this s**t is. Coincidentally, I'm doing my exhaust as I type this and I'm using plumbers solder with the aluminum foil overlay clamped down with rubber clamps.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

Originally Posted by Stuart Moss

To make a cheap/fast repair, I'd sway more toward getting a sheet of sheet metal (home centers sell small pieces of it) that I'd cut to fit over wherever you have the leak, and put some stainless steel hose clamps over it to keep it shut.
I actually did this with a coke can, a pair of snips, and two stainless clamps. Worked in a pinch, until I could get a *real* repair.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

Originally Posted by 3rdgenmaro
The fact that this thread is 15 YEARS old makes me laugh
18, this year...
Old 01-07-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA
18, this year...
Yeah today's solder is way better.... hell you might even be able to find a gorilla glue that'll work....lol
Old 06-14-2020, 12:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Transmission: ...was received.

Hi, just wanted to revive this thread once again, just for the hell of it. I have nothing to add really, just that if you are going to do something, do it right the first time. See everyone in 5 years...
Old 06-16-2020, 08:28 AM

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

It's been about 20 years, and many of my soldered steel connections are still holding firm - Despite the naysayers, incorrect presumptions, and general misinformation posted a decade or two ago. "Solder" does not necessarily contain lead, nor does it necessarily have a low melting point relative to the base materials. In fact, other than fasteners, it is sometimes the only way to connect dissimilar materials which cannot be alloyed together (welding) and can be stronger than welds depending on the filler (solder) used and the base materials involved.

I'll give everyone another five years to research that for our next discussion.

HINT: Begin your research in rocket engines, and you may be enlightened about soldered assemblies.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vader:
BytePaul (06-16-2020), Drac0nic (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish

Originally Posted by Vader
It's been about 20 years, and many of my soldered steel connections are still holding firm - Despite the naysayers, incorrect presumptions, and general misinformation posted a decade or two ago. "Solder" does not necessarily contain lead, nor does it necessarily have a low melting point relative to the base materials. In fact, other than fasteners, it is sometimes the only way to connect dissimilar materials which cannot be alloyed together (welding) and can be stronger than welds depending on the filler (solder) used and the base materials involved.

I'll give everyone another five years to research that for our next discussion.

HINT: Begin your research in rocket engines, and you may be enlightened about soldered assemblies.
And, you'll let us know how the average Joe can solder two pieces of exhaust pipe together, drive the car daily for the next five years....

Dang, didn't pull it into the Rocket bay to get done.

BTW, most solder you'd buy off the shelf is 30-40% lead, now yeas you can buy other stuff as well...but 10 years ago I'm thinking the OP had a solder gun and a roll of solder.

What ya think?
Old 06-25-2020, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would question where a solder job begins and a braze job ends. They're similar enough I could see a grey area between the two. That said braze is actually pretty hard core and I've known of people repairing manifolds. May as well dredge this thread up a bit father
Old 06-26-2020, 07:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 408 Likes on 295 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

Not sure why anyone would even attempt to 'solder' steel pipe in this day and age of Horror Fright $129.00 mig welders.