Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Extremely strong gasoline odor after turning off car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Saturn SL2
Engine: 4 cylinder
Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Extremely strong gasoline odor after turning off car...

Recently, I have been noticing the extremely strong smell of gas when I shut off my car. It's so bad that I can smell it even when I turn off my car and I have the windows up and doors closed. I also noticed my gas milage has gone done a bit since a couple of weeks ago.

I'm pretty much clueless as to where this smell is coming from. I had two basic ideas but other than that I'm not really sure.

I first thought it might be the evap canister because the line going from the canister to the perge TVS is absent but the line from the fuel tank to the canister is still there. However, I am not sure if that would make such a strong smell.

I also checked out the soft fuel line going to the carb. It doesn't appear to be leaking but it does have rather large cracks in it and I doubt they are getting smaller. Perhaps I should replace this line just for safety's sake? Someone told me to use something called "Earl's Stainless Steel" fuel lines or something like that instead of basic rubber lines... does anyone know anything about that?

Anyway, should I be worried about this? What should I do to find out what is causing this smell and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:31 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

look for leaks, might have to get under the car to see all he lines. my guess is if there isn't a leak it's the canister saturated with fuel.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Look closely at your fuel pump; check your oil and make sure you don't have more now than you put in it, and that there's no gasoline in it.

Rubber fuel line in between the fuel pump and the carb is AUTOMOTIVE SUICIDE. That is probably the single biggest cause of engine fires. You would be astounded how much fuel the pump can pump out in a short time, and how far and wide it will get sprayed all over everything, and how easy it is to ignite. Get rid of that ASAP while you still have a car. Either bend yourself up a piece of steel line like the factory did, or put the braided stainless on it, or something; your car is at risk of terminal disaster with that garbage on there.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Supreme Member

Alright, thanks. I did not know rubber lines were such a large risk.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Supreme Member

Alright, RB... I going to replace the line as soon as possible, based on what you've said. However, I was wondering if you could answer a couple more questions for me.

I am planning on going with Earl's "Braided Stainless Hose" (PN 303003ERL) to replace the rubber line. The OD is 3/8". Is this the correct size or do I need a different line? Also, will three feet be enough? The old line looks longer than three feet but it travels from the pump to the area behind the water pump and then back to the carb (I don't know why, though).

When I replace the hose, will I have to do something to keep the fuel from spraying out everywhere or what? Not real sure how I should go about taking off the old line and putting a new one on.

Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

*bump*

Anyone?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin.../AutoFlex.html
That's not the right size of line. It's #3, which is 5/32" inner diameter, about the size of windshied washer line or something like that.

#6 is the correct size for fuel line; it's about the same ID as factory steel line. That would Earl's 300006 line. You don't need 3', you actually need less than 2'; but you could buy the pre-cut ones, and cut them to length, just be careful how you cut it because it can be a real PITA to put together if it's been cut improperly.

You'll probably want 2 700106 ends, which are straight AN flare ends; 2 Russell 640330 or 640331 #6 AN flare female to 3/8" 45° inverted flare female adapters; and 2 pieces of 3/8" brake line like you can buy at the corner parts store, as short as you can get them, bent into a 90° over a mandrel (you can use a spring as a mandrel) with as tight a radius as you can get them, or 2 double-male swivel 90° 3/8" inverted flare adapters.

Alot of people run around with that regular weenie rubber line, and will tell you how OK it is; and I suppose if you check it often, or just replace it often, it might not be so dangerous. But all it takes is one malfunction, and you won't have a car any more.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

Alright. Thanks a lot for the information.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:44 PM

Car: 83 Z28
Engine: vortec 305 for now
Transmission: 5 speed
I did the same thing you did, I removed the canister, but kept the line there (for a vent). The gas odor appeared right after I did that. So, the tank needs to be vented somewhere, what I did (83 L69) was to plug that line and use a vented cap.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Supreme Member

No, I think you misunderstood what I typed.

I still have the charcoal canister there. The line from the fuel tank to the canister is still connected to it as well, and it still has the little vent or valve thing connected to it. However, the other line that leads to the purge TVS on the intake manifold is absent.