Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

TCI lockup kit HELP ASAP NOW AAAAAHHHH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 SOM z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
TCI lockup kit HELP ASAP NOW AAAAAHHHH!!!

Stupid me, I figured people actually WORK on the weekends! I guess that doesn't apply to companies like Edelbrock and TCI...

Either way, I have this TCI universal lockup kit for the 700R4 and 200R4 #376600 and the directions suck @$$! I am assuming I will use "Fig 1- 700R4 Street/Strip Wiring Diagram" which I can almost read if I use a magnifying glass. More importantly, I understand which of the two supplied harnesses to use...

That brings up my confusion. I also have another harness with a green wire, red wire, and black wire that appears to hook up to what appears to be another vacuum-type switch outside of the tranny and plugs in to the manifold vacuum? Is this an either/or situation (internal or external switch) or a use both type of deal? Is one for the 700R4 and the external for the 200R4?

------------------
1984 z28 w/ a 357 cu in. monster engine which is looking like the posterchild for Edelbrock with the exception of the Holley 750vac... all the suspension stuff... 9-bolt posi disk is in...

-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 06-16-2001, 12:18 PM

So through reading the archives, I sort of get the impression that there are indeed two harnesses (inside and outside the tranny) and I see a plug towards the driver's side of the tranny... is this the outside one I need to hook the supplied harness to?

Now bigger issues...I get the pan down and make a huge mess, then I look at the TCC solenoid. Do I have a 1-wire or 2-wire solenoid? This is supposedly a 89+ tranny, and I see the TCC harness, but both the B and D terminal wires are cut off and the A terminal wire runs to a coil-looking thing with a wire running from there to what looks like a vacuum switch! Do I all ready have a vacuum lockup switch? I wonder if the guy installed one when he built my tranny...

------------------
1984 z28 w/ a 357 cu in. monster engine which is looking like the posterchild for Edelbrock with the exception of the Holley 750vac... all the suspension stuff... 9-bolt posi disk is in...

-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 06-16-2001, 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
I'm trying to imagine what you are looking at... That coil looking thing is the solenoid. Sounds like you have the 2-wire version. That vacuum switch looking thing is a pressure switch, you will still need to install the provided switch in the 4th gear pressure location. Basicly it works like this: 12V is supplied to the solenoid all the time. The ground for the solenoid must go through the 4th gear pressure switch, or bypass with a separate wire(green wire on the external harness). The harness with the green, black, and red wires is the external. the red gets 12V whenever the key car is on. The black goes to the vacuum switch. The green is a bypass for the lock-up and will lock the TC in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, if it's grounded. I might still have the instructions somewhere...

------------------
350 with stealth intake, holley carb, 470 lift cam. 700r4 with .5 boost valve, vette servo, tci lock-up kit, B&M megashifter. Richmond 3.73 gears, powertrax locker, timkim bearings, synthetic lube. Custom 3 inch single into 2 2.5 pipes. 1 1/2 drop springs, 1 5/16 solid front sway bar, 1 inch rear bar, custom subframe connectors, custom LCA relocation brackets. Kobel ground FX, current red metallic paint. Lots of other stuff...
82camaro
Old 06-16-2001, 01:47 PM

Doesn't the "TCC solenoid" have 4 ports on it called A, B, C, and D? If so, I have 1 redish wire comming from A which goes accross the tranny (just over the filter) to that coil-looking thing, and a black wire that runs from it back across over the filter to the vacuum switch.

There is no wire in the C terminal, and both wires that plug into the B and D terminals are cut off... shouldn't they lead to something?

The TCI kit supplies a new harness with wires that run from A, B, and D to a few places (don't have the diagram in front of me right now) with one (D I think) going to the supplied vacuum switch.
Old 06-16-2001, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

I found the instructions...Yes, it's figure one. Internal wire harness has Terminal A hooked to the positive side of the solenoid. Terminal B goes to the Negative side of the solenoid(and the pressure switch--it should have a built in splice). Terminal D goes to the 4th gear pressure switch(that you install).
On the outside, terminal A is the red wire, terminal B is the green wire, and terminal D is the black wire.
The vacuum switch has one terminal hooked to the black wire of the external wiring harness. The other terminal of the vacuum switch is grounded.
The Red wire goes to a 12V power source that has power when the car is on.
The green wire goes to a switch that will force the TC to lock(optional).
Any more questions, just ask away.
FYI:
I didn't like how the vacuum switch worked, even after I adjusted it. It got replaced with a switch so that when it's on the TC will lock in 4th gear no matter what, and when it's off the TC won't lock-up. That is of course optional as well.

------------------
350 with stealth intake, holley carb, 470 lift cam. 700r4 with .5 boost valve, vette servo, tci lock-up kit, B&M megashifter. Richmond 3.73 gears, powertrax locker, timkim bearings, synthetic lube. Custom 3 inch single into 2 2.5 pipes. 1 1/2 drop springs, 1 5/16 solid front sway bar, 1 inch rear bar, custom subframe connectors, custom LCA relocation brackets. Kobel ground FX, current red metallic paint. Lots of other stuff...
82camaro
Old 06-16-2001, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Missed your last post, Yes you have the correct solenoid--black is negative red is positive. Cut both wires and remove all of the existing wiring harness. I think the existing harness might be making it confusing. Then do the this:
Internal wiring harness has Terminal A hooked to the positive side of the solenoid. Terminal B goes to the Negative side of the solenoid(and the pressure switch--it should have a built in splice). Terminal D goes to the 4th gear pressure switch(that you install).
That will install the internal wiring harness. then:
On the outside, terminal A is the red wire, terminal B is the green wire, and terminal D is the black wire.

The Red wire goes to a 12V power source that has power when the car is on.
The green wire goes to a switch that will force the TC to lock(optional).
The black wire goes to the vacuum switch(the other terminal on the vacuum switch is grounded.

That should do it

------------------
82camaro

[This message has been edited by 82camaro (edited June 16, 2001).]
Old 06-17-2001, 09:14 AM

Thanks 82... I think I actually have an idea of what needs to be done now! One thing that I think I can do, want to do (short of finishing the complete job), but want to check first:

Can I just install the stuff inside the tranny (A-D wires and vacuum switch) and button up the tranny, and do the outside harness later? I figure the worst thing would be that I blow the TCC solenoid. Most likely, nothing will change, best situation it works normally and I don't even need to install the outside harness...
Old 06-17-2001, 02:59 PM

Well, I stuck in the internal stuff and bolted on the pan. Figures, my tranny temp gauge wouldn't fit with any of the supplied adapters into the B&M drain plug

I'm waiting for the gasket sealer to dry a little before I fill it up with the 7-8 qts and fire it up again. I'll do the outter adapter some other day...

------------------

-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 06-17-2001, 03:21 PM
Supreme Member

You will be just fine without doing the outside harness right away. It just won't lock-up, which can cause an overheat problem if you drive in OD at an rpm below the TC stall speed.

------------------
82camaro
Old 06-17-2001, 04:14 PM

Which will be no different than the way it's been for the last 3 months since I swapped to the Holley and got rid of the computer. I have a rather large tranny cooler and my fluid temps never get really high even on hot days. I just am hoping it doesn't lock up the converter actually. Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Re: TCI lockup kit HELP ASAP NOW AAAAAHHHH!!!

did you build this car yourself i just put the tci harness in was really simple and how did you manage to keep that power stuck to the ground