Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Problem: Can't get Fan temp sensor out of engine block!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem: Can't get Fan temp sensor out of engine block!!!

When I installed my headers and Y pipe the other day, I broke the fan temp coolant sensor.. I can't get a wrench to stay on it and sockets won't fit.. It is torqued on their pretty good.. When I try to get a wrench on it, it just slips right off almost as if it were stripped..

The fan is wired so it is always on, so i don't think I really need it other than to monitor my engine temp..

Does that coolant/fan temp sensor have anything to do with the computer, like control anything important?

Is it ok to drive without this for a while?

How much you think a mechanic would charge to replace it?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2001, 06:31 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac GTA Hardtop.
Engine: ZZ4 - 350
Transmission: Garbage
I think if you leave that unhooked, your fan won't come on. I did mine, and got right on it with a deepwell socket. I don't think a mechanic will charge you too much, since he will have the car up in the air on a lift, and it won't be too hard for him to get to. Sorry that I am not much help.
take care & Good luck
Mike

------------------
(Gran Turismo Americano) "The Ultimate Firebird"
Smokin 1989 GTA- Bone stock except for exhaust. (no catalytic-stainless pipe into Flowmaster 2 chamber).
Old 06-30-2001, 06:33 PM

I connected the fan relay so that the fan runs all the time. If thats all it does then maybe i'll just wait until I have more time to mess with it. If it does more than just display the temp and turn the fan on, then I'll have to replace it soon.

THanks
Old 06-30-2001, 08:11 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

There is a socket made specifically to remove the sensor. If you round off the flats too much the special socket may not work either.

There is also a separate coolant temperature sensor that signals the ECM on TBI engines. TPI engines use a CTS at the front of the intake manifold to signal the ECM, and the ECM drives the primary cooling fan. If you have dual fans, the secondary fan is a locally controlled relay with a separate CTS just for that purpose.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Let the bodies hit the floor!"
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 07-01-2001, 12:25 AM

Vader,
I don't need a Deep socket for it because it is broken completely off. All thats left is a brass plug with plastic in the center. I bought a 13/16" 6 point socket today, I'll try tommorow to see if I can get it off. The other sensor on top of the intake manifold is fine. Like I said, I have the fans wired to always on so that is not a problem.

Is it OK to drive without the sensor that I broke off? If I can't get it out, I'll just pay a shop to do it along with a front end alignment which I need badly..

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-01-2001, 06:27 AM

The same thing happened to me when I had to change my knock sensor, just get a small 2"-3" pipe wrench on it and it will come out