Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What are the symptoms of loose/tight valve lash?

Old 08-10-2001, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the symptoms of loose/tight valve lash?

ok, it just occured to me....

I thought I had an ignition problem, but I'm not so sure... my plugs are fouled, and the car is very weak (at least seems like it).

In the engine bay I can hear a ticking, it's noticeable, and has gotten more noticeable since I got it 4 months ago. i -thought- it was the injectors ticking, but now I'm not sure... can maladjusted valve lash cause these problems? How much of a job is it to adjust them? So get my covers off I think I would have to remove my intake, but from what I hear the car has to be running, any thought?

Am I on the right track, or should I go back to my orignial idea (the bad ignition).

any thoughts?

PS, I don't -believe- the engine has ever been opened up, although I don't know... can they loosen over time?

------------------
1985 Camaro SC - 2.8L, auto.

http://www.xenodrgn.f2s.com/Frontright.jpg
Old 08-10-2001, 10:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
They often do loosen over time, as parts wear and all that. They rarely tighten themselves except when a valve seat wears through and the valve rests against soft metal; then that erodes real fast, and the valve moves upward in the head, and it can get to the point where the valve train holds it open.

I don't even know if a 2.8 has adjustable rockers. If it does, you could try adjusting them. A rolled cam lobe also makes what sounds like a tick, although if you could slow it down, it would probably be a squeak.

I don't think you have to pull the intake to get the valve covers off but i could be wrong. I don't know anything at all about the details of the 6-cylinder motors.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
ICON Motorsports
Old 08-10-2001, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, I'll try posting this over in the V6 forum.

------------------
1985 Camaro SC - 2.8L, auto.

http://www.xenodrgn.f2s.com/Frontright.jpg