Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Adding trans fluid to Oil...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 T.B.I. (Vin tag "E" = LO3)
Transmission: THM-700-R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt posi 3.23
Adding trans fluid to Oil...

i was a quart low when i checked my oil today and instead of oil i added a quart of trans fluid.. My goal: cleaner engine. im postive this wont hurt the engine ne but how many miles should i wait to change the oil? i want it to clean it out good
Old 04-11-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 iroc/2000 saab 9-5
Engine: 355 tpi/Roller cam
Transmission: 700r4/2800 stall,megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3;42
Originally Posted by Derek The Great
i was a quart low when i checked my oil today and instead of oil i added a quart of trans fluid.. My goal: cleaner engine. im postive this wont hurt the engine ne but how many miles should i wait to change the oil? i want it to clean it out good
First, im far from an expert, ,just my 02
Some ppl add a quart of tranny fluid,during a rebuild, pour it on the top, before installing the manifold,on a fresh zero miles engine.
ive never done it, but everones different.
Now if you got some miles on your engine/my opinion, id let it be,
Cleaning a used engine/ussually clogs the arteries{oilpump}because all the sheet goes to the oil pan.
Just use a good qual. oil,filter,and change 2000 to 3000mls,
i like castrol/ mobile 1 on a new rebuilt,
Old 04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Most people leave it in for 500 miles. Some start with it and go the full 3K. Others use synthetics and don't bother with the atf, and still others use really good sythetics and are on extended oil change intervals. When Mobil came out the rags were touting 15-18K mile oil change intervals. Amsoil touts 25k/1 year intervals. Filter changes needed with both IIRC. Hell, BMW, benz and the european union are all on the extended oil change interval bandwagon now and GM's onboard oil analyzer has been showing that conventional oils and filters to be good to 6k in many cases. Though I'm not sure of the parameters in those set-ups.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:38 PM

well it was actually about a little over a pint of tranny fluid i poured in there, didnt want to add too much as it will end up makin the oil too thin. im jus tired of changin the oil n then 500 miles later its dark again...
Old 04-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Dark, alone, doesn't typically mean bad and one quart for the last 500 won't thin it out oo much... so long as you aren't raping the thing.

Maybe it's time to look into some synthetics, or Amsoil for some long OCIs. I know a cool independant dealer.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:17 PM

ya know, i barely beat on her, ill say tho, at least once a week i stretch thos legs

but i change the oil frequently as it is, and when i popped the intake off sludge was no where in sight but i was in the "ah what the hell" kind of moods so i added some tranny fluid for S & G
Old 04-13-2006, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: 400 SBC
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 4.10
I have run trans fluid in the oil for about 15min before an oil change just to flush the engine, but thats it. Personally I wouldn't run atf in the oil for an extended amount of time, though it'll probably be fine.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:09 AM

Car: 1988 iroc/2000 saab 9-5
Engine: 355 tpi/Roller cam
Transmission: 700r4/2800 stall,megashifter
Axle/Gears: 3;42
Without knowing the miles on your engine,id refrane from any,attitives
cleaning a used engine,ends up with oil pressure problems, and bearing failure.
Just use good oil,at your changes.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Alot of old-timers have run trans fluid in motors for years at a time. One quart ATF, the rest normal oil.

I usually run it in a known dirty motor for only one or 2 normal oil change intervals, or until the used oil comes out halfway clean.

The first time you add it to a really gunked-up motor, change the oil SOON, like in 500 miles or so; it will loosen SO MUCH GUNK, you won't believe your eyes. The oil will come out thick and chunky sometimes. You don't want to run to very long like that, because goop like that doesn't flow or lubricate very well. So the first time you use it, check the oil often, and if it starts looking really funky, get it out of there ASAP. Then add it to the new oil and watch it again, and change it as it needs it. Keep doing that until it quits coming out nasty.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 5.0L V8
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Adding trans fluid to Oil...

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Alot of old-timers have run trans fluid in motors for years at a time. One quart ATF, the rest normal oil.

I usually run it in a known dirty motor for only one or 2 normal oil change intervals, or until the used oil comes out halfway clean.

The first time you add it to a really gunked-up motor, change the oil SOON, like in 500 miles or so; it will loosen SO MUCH GUNK, you won't believe your eyes. The oil will come out thick and chunky sometimes. You don't want to run to very long like that, because goop like that doesn't flow or lubricate very well. So the first time you use it, check the oil often, and if it starts looking really funky, get it out of there ASAP. Then add it to the new oil and watch it again, and change it as it needs it. Keep doing that until it quits coming out nasty.
so buy cheaper oil while you are doing the tranny/conventional procedure till its cleaned out?
Old 06-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 IROC Z, 92 RS
Engine: 305 4bbl, 305 TBI

Originally Posted by Derek The Great
I would be hesitant about adding atf to the oil because it isn't rated to take the heat engine oil can handle. If you are getting dirty oil I would bet it is from outside contaminates, and not sludge. I would let that sleeping dog lye.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The first time you add it to a really gunked-up motor, change the oil SOON, like in 500 miles or so; it will loosen SO MUCH GUNK, you won't believe your eyes. The oil will come out thick and chunky sometimes. You don't want to run to very long like that, because goop like that doesn't flow or lubricate very well.
That.